Like looking in a mirror

Seen a Rover out and about? Find out if it was one of us.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Mark827
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Like looking in a mirror

Post by Mark827 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Pulled up in traffic somewhere near Edgware today and parked next to me was an identical car to mine, a gold sterling coupe.
Number plate said JAZ**** something.
Never seen another on the road.
Mark

'92 827 Coupe

Stephen G
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Stephen G » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:42 pm

Are you sure you werent looking in a shop window? :lol:

Thats a pretty rare sight seeing your exact same car next to you.
Stephen Golder

Current
2003 03 MG ZS 180 Saloon
2004 04 MG ZT-T 190
2004 54 MG ZS 115+ Saloon

rich1988
Rover Guru

Post by rich1988 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:26 pm

Stephen G wrote:Are you sure you werent looking in a shop window? :lol:
Haha for some reason that cracks me up, the idea of him sitting outside a shop being like "yeaaa mate nice car" with his thumbs up to hs reflection :P
1995 woodcote green vitesse fastback, a modified (only perfomance mods!) 1998 nissan 200sx s14a, 2000 1.7 astra van (HELL YEA)

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:38 pm

There are 2 gold Saloons, 2 gold fastback's. and a gold coupé near me that I have seen.

Guess the people round here have a sensible choice in colour :D

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:57 pm

Nuts4my827 wrote:There are 2 gold Saloons, 2 gold fastback's. and a gold coupé near me that I have seen.

Guess the people round here have a sensible choice in colour :D
The local opticians need sacking :lol:
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

BRG
Rover Guru

Post by BRG » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:59 pm

My wife loves those spooky supernatural urban myths that everyone swears "really happened", and one of her faves is of a guy who worked for, like, the gas board or summit, in the 70s or 80s who was driving home in the works van one night and saw another, identical van up ahead. Pulling alongside to see which of his colleagues was also working late, he's confused and horrified to see himself in it.
And no, it can't have been a reflection.
:roll:
Makes you think, eh?
Honestly. All them "Take A Break" magazines want banning!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:21 am

I recall watching with great joy how a woman in the car park in Safeway**, Troon walked up to her brand new gold mk4 Golf, pointed the remote plipper at it, pressed the button and then shrieked with shock as the identical car 3 places behind here bleeped and flashed its lights. If memory serves me right she even dropped her shopping bag.

All these "moderns" look alike, don't they?

** Safeway - now that dates it!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Mark827
Regular Visitor

Post by Mark827 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:28 am

Only problem with having a rare car is everyone knows its me.
Mines going really well at the moment, adjusting the tracking slightly has vastly improved handling.
Mark

'92 827 Coupe

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Reminds me of a Grey mk2 Sterling identical to mine that floats around Telford. It sports a private numberplate (Something like A12 HPH?) I've got a pic somewhere. The owner once passed me while I was in my mk2.

Lord Sterling

Kyle
Rover Guru

Post by Kyle » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:13 pm

I see so few on a regular basis that I would not remember the VRN's.
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

BRG
Rover Guru

Post by BRG » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:44 pm

I have only 2 photos of my motor, but luckily on the "800 Web Pages" directory (you must know it? By a guy called Dave Pallant, I think?) there's an 'owner's cars' pic of a Vit identical to mine, which even luckier is a side-on view, and I am ashamed to admit I have, in the past, passed this off as my own car.... :(

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:03 pm

BRG wrote:....and I am ashamed to admit I have, in the past, passed this off as my own car.... :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lord Sterling

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Look a like...

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:53 am

Reading about the woman and her Mk4 Golf in Safeways car park reminded me of not long after i'd just got my first SD1 V8. The previous owner had resprayed it a horrible orange colour from it's original metallic gold. In the twilight, i'd parked in a car park that was lit by sodium lighting, that horrrible orange colour lighting!! Went off, did my shopping, came back and got into my car. My first thought was that someone had changed the instruments while i'd been gone and converted it to manual!! I then realised i'd got into a WHITE 2300 SD1 manual!! Well it looked the same horrible orange as mine did in the sodium lighting!! Thankfully the owner saw the funny side when his keys not only opened mine, they started it too!! Trouble was, it took me more time to persuade him he really wanted to go back to his 2300 and not drive off in my V8 than it did to do my shopping!!
Those were the days when if you locked your keys inside the car you didn't have to look far for help!!

mike-c
Regular Visitor

Post by mike-c » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:14 pm

Richard Moss wrote:I recall watching with great joy how a woman in the car park in Safeway**, Troon walked up to her brand new gold mk4 Golf, pointed the remote plipper at it, pressed the button and then shrieked with shock as the identical car 3 places behind here bleeped and flashed its lights. If memory serves me right she even dropped her shopping bag.

All these "moderns" look alike, don't they?

** Safeway - now that dates it!
Going back forty years, my father bought a new Cherry Red Triumph 2000. It was only a few month's old, when he went shopping, came back to the car, unlocked it, started it, looked in the mirror to move off..... and thought, that's strange, I don't have a trilby on the back seat. Got out, locked the car, went three cars down the row, unlocked his car .... :D

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:50 pm

A couple of years back my Bro-in-Law had a Toyota Thinggy. After filling it with petrol at Morrisons, he went to pay, returned to the car and got into the BACK seat and wondered where his steering wheel had gone :roll: Got out and moved across to his car and drove off to a faint sound of laughter :P Actually, it may have neen gales of laughter, but he was in a hurry to exit the scene :lol:
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto