Sold the Range Rover

Landrover, Range Rover, Jeep or whatever - off-road or not, this is the one.

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:30 pm

47p2 wrote:Unbelievable just how much muck was inside Chris. I was told the previous owner was a dog owner but I think it was a sheep farmer :shock:
Been there with an 820 in the past. I reckon the dog(s) had been licking the screen in that by the mess on it. :lol:

Ended up gutting the interior in the end due to the hairs. Cloth in the case though not leather which would have been easier.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

47p2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 47p2 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:Now that's a lovely car. Sensible wheels, too. Great choice.

It's a beast of a motor Brad, completely different to the Classic range Rover, the wheels won't be getting weighed in for 22" rubber bands either.

I need a new tyre very soon for the front, the other front will require changing in the next few months, the 2 back tyres are brand new cheepo Nexen crap so I have decided they have to come off, I will keep one for the spare wheel and the other will be kept as an emergency tyre. I started looking around at prices and choice and decided I want Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyres. Black Circles were £145 per tyre delivered but not fitted which seemed to be the average price. Kwik Fit are offering them to buy online at £126 each so I called my local and they quoted £180 from them, to get the deal I have to order online :shock: WTF is that about.

I then called a supplier I use and the best he can do is £151 so it was back to KF and order online. They will be fitted on Tuesday and if I use this Range Rover as much as the last one the tyres will last me forever
JT

...........Image

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Do you suffer much weather wise your way John? Is it worth looking at something more capable?
Chris

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:47 pm

Lots of rain Chris, snow usually for a few days, nothing too much, but I will be a grandfather in February and as my daughter stays north of Fort William I need something reliable incase of emergencies, hence changing the classic for something a little more modern and safer. The classic never even had air bags which means the grandchild would not be allowed in it ( maybe I should have kept the classic after all :( )
JT

...........Image

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Are the tyres you're looking at normal road ones or a bit more capable?
Chris

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:50 pm

On road tyres but very capable in extreme weather conditions. The tyres can help in the snow, but it's the way you drive the vehicle that makes the difference. Last winter all the numpties were buying up all the winter tyres they could thinking it would let them drive normally in the snow, boy did they get a surprize when they ventured out and tried to drive as normal.

When I was driving trucks I was up in the Highlands almost every day, 15"-20" of snow was the norm and I never was stuck once. Adjust the driving style for the conditions and you won't go wrong
JT

...........Image

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:24 pm

I tried a patch on the paintwork tonight by hand to see how it would clean up and I think I am safe in saying it will look awesome once I have finished.
All the paintwork at the moment is covered in swirls and light scores, mostly due to poor washing, but it also looks like the car has never seen a coat of polish since new and I will have my work cut out to get it up to a descent level

This is just a small area on the rear o/s door and not the worst panel by a long shot
Lots of swirls and scores to be removed

Rear o/s wing again with lots of swirls and scores

After a few minutes with some polish on a cloth we are starting to get some results.
The light marks in this picture are reflections but the camera is too close to the paintwork to focus properly

The depth of shine is starting to show now and most of the blemishes are gone

I will start a new post in the detailing section next week once I start the exterior
JT

...........Image

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:49 am

47p2 wrote: I will start a new post in the detailing section next week once I start the exterior
I'll be following that with interest
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.

staffs

Post by staffs » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:12 am

Absolutely stunning , i have always wanted one but running costs and reliability have always put me off.....please let us know how you get on .....if it,s good news i may change my mind

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:55 pm

I decided that the last service (a week before I bought the Range Rover) was a case of a rubber stamp and possibly the bonnet wasn't even opened. Today I bought some filters and started to get the mechanical side up to scratch. Air, fuel, pollen and oil filter were chanced along with some nice fresh Castrol Magnatec, so that should keep the engine happy for a while. I'm going to change the gearbox, transfer box and diff oil and anything else I come across.

There's a rattle from the front when going over rough roads, I suspect a ball joint or track rod end so that will have to be investigated
JT

...........Image

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:20 am

47p2 wrote:There's a rattle from the front when going over rough roads, I suspect a ball joint or track rod end so that will have to be investigated
Anti-roll bar drop link, perhaps?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

47p2

Re: Sold the Range Rover

Post by 47p2 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:37 am

I left Glasgow yesterday in the Range Rover with a full tank of fuel at 09:00am and travelled 100 miles to Oban taking in the A82 Loch Lomond road then the A85 Tyndrum to Oban road, so no motorway once I crossed the Erskine Bridge. On several occasions the Range Rover accelerator was pressed to the floor to pass slower traffic and although I hear lots of stories about the TD6 being a bit of a slug performance wise it certainly didn't feel like mine was lacking in the power department. The journey up took 2 hours 5 minutes so I wasn't hanging about. Once there I went onto single track roads for around 60 miles, never getting into top gear and most of the time in 3rd which would not help the fuel consumption. The journey home was much better, not so many idiots who don't know how to drive along the winding roads they think 30mph and braking at every corner is the way to go and it does my head in. Again there were a few times I managed to give the Range Rover some beans and managed home in exactly 2 hours. I filled the fuel tank with 44.75 litres of diesel and covered a total of 290 miles giving an average of 29mpg which is not bad considering the roads I was on
JT

...........Image

CHR15E
Site Admin

Re: Sold the Range Rover

Post by CHR15E » Mon May 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Impressive really. Never see that in any of mine. :lol:
Chris