Been tinkering on Joes Jeep

Landrover, Range Rover, Jeep or whatever - off-road or not, this is the one.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Been tinkering on Joes Jeep

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Me and Joe are going off roading in a couple of weeks. So he wants to get some jobs done on his Jeep. To be fair it needs a fair few bits.

One of which was making a new front bumper as he bent his. :D Plus he wants to fit a winch later on so we've made this with a view to be modded.

It's not pretty but it's what he wanted, I simply implemented his ideas as such. Just needs painting which will get done this week when we start on his lift kit.

Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:08 am

Looks alright. If he's going to fit a winch then you need to be really sure that the mounts for the bumper to the car are solid (and the Jeep solid, too!).

Loads of great ideas at http://www.jeepforum.com
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:25 am

Knowing Joe as I do I'd be surprised if he'd lay out the cash needed for one. :lol:

I said to him earlier that it's only for show really if either of us had one. As it would only really be needed if you were on your own I reckon?

Otherwise you'd just use the other car to escape. I think we need to see how it goes in a couple of weeks.

We also found out that his wheels/tyres are a fair bit smaller than mine on the black Jeep let alone the purple one.

He's running 225/70/15s, I have 245/70/16s on the black one and 235/85/16s on the purple one.

Each should give 1" more height than the last. He's going to borrow the wheels off the black one for when we go till he decides what he's having long term. His fronts are ready anyway and only road tyres. I have all terrains on the black one and the larger size like I said. So he gains all ways. Plus they're free. :lol:

We're starting to fit the 3" lift kit Tuesday. Well get the old stuff off anyway. He's ordered some new rear leafs as well. You can just make those out down the side of the Jeep.

He's spent about £500 so far I think, then it still needs a rad. The fan looking at and the exhaust manifold is blowing apparently. :roll:

Oh joy. :lol:
Chris

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:28 am

Not put the monster suspension on yet then?
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:57 am

Winches can be useful when freeing off another vehicle that has got stuck - you don't have to worry so much about the "towcar" having enough traction.

We tend to use snatch straps (nothing to do with thongs!) - slightly elastic tow ropes which you attach, leave loose and then get the towcar up to speed to yank the stuck car out in one go. Again, it's useful when there is a bit of a shortage of grip because the towcar is only moving itself initially and after that the momentum takes over. Needs good, solid towing points, though!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

CHR15E
Site Admin

Re:

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Richard C wrote:Not put the monster suspension on yet then?
No, start on that tomorrow.

He has the rear leafs but the lift kit is on it's way from the US, due later this week.
Chris