Covid-19

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
pat5338
Regular Visitor

Covid-19

Post by pat5338 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:36 am

Greetings from New Zealand,
I really hope all members of this forum, wherever in the World you live, you are coping with this dreadful pandemic.
Here in New Zealand, we are hopefully getting on top of the virus, with over 90% of those affected now recovered, and very few deaths. I don't think anyone is complacent though.
The UK and The Continent seem to have have been dreadfully stricken and I think all of us here, who have family and friends in the UK, are watching with great anxiety.
We, too, have had several weeks of Lock Down and I decided early on to lay-up my 825 for our winter, and it is now tucked up in the back of the garage with the battery out and a soft cover over it. I have started it once in the last 4 weeks, and run it up to a good working temperature with the a/c on and move it back and forth a couple of feet. It has now gone back into hibernation for another 4 weeks. Any hints about laying up 800s for 4 months or more?
I notice that the first item on this thread was about a site for Rover 600s. I actually use one as my daily car. It is a 623 auto, and I have to admit that I bought it a couple of years ago just to take some of the load off the 800, and I am now very fond of it. I know it is just a Honda Accord in Rover clothing, but for sheer reliability, ease of driving and excellent layout, I have to admit it is hard to beat. If I had to get rid of one of my cars, I really don't know which one I would chose.
Keep dodging the virus and stay safe

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Covid-19

Post by Manalishi » Sat May 09, 2020 6:21 am

Hi,
My first Rover was a 620ti. I really liked that car! We never got the 623 here but I can imagine it’s really pleasant.

Regarding the virus it has made our country headlining the world news from what I’ve been told. I haven’t been personally involved but my mother is very fragile from a history of cancer so we can’t really visit her except outdoors and we do all of her shopping etc. I went to the barber for the first time in months the other day and everyone that has the possibility of working from home is. So am I and my wife, but there is no lock down here but a lot of social distancing. I believe the situation in Sweden is very misunderstood, for instance Trump is (as usual) wrong in his one liners, and the Russians do their best (as usual) to spread fake news in social media and this pops up in media all over the world.

Our dilemma is the elders. Unfortunately we have a bad social structure around our elders, too many people involved in the care of each person has spread the virus so our majoritet of deaths are 75+. The government has really failed there and it is the result of 30 years of dismantling our elder care system.

I would say not much is needed while storing the car. I wouldn’t use a cover as that tends to do more harm than good. Preferbly parked indoors. I never start my 820 turbo vitesse during winter, just leave it. A clean oil is good and so is proper fresh coolant. If parked outdoors I would give it a proper wash and wax but no cover. Some pine spruces around the car keep rodents away. Make sure nothing eateble is inside, it really attracts rodents.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:07 pm

In addition to Henriks excellent advice, one more thing Adrian - inflate the tyres to their near maximum pressure. The maximum pressure they can take will be on the sidewalls somewhere, usually about 50psi. This helps to prevent flat spots on the tread that can ruin a tyre if stored too long in the same position.

Don't forget to drop the pressure to normal before driving on the road though!

Always fancied a 623 GSi, excellent Honda PL5 auto box (don't forget it needs special ATF, not Dexron!) and 156bhp makes it quite a performer for a family car. I had the Honda Accord 2.2i Coupe (USA designed and built, they also got the C27 V6 engine stateside! :roll: :evil: :mrgreen: ) for a while, easiest way to describe it is a USA built 622 Coupe, 148bhp so pretty lively and could still carry a 10ft worktop home from the DIY store!
Back seats went down so resting the worktop on the dash and feeding it through the boot gave an enormous length capcity!

As for maintenance, much of what you already know from the 827 applies to the 623 - younger, smaller sister really. Same pad fitting procedure applies to the rear pads as for the 800s, the wheels from each fit the other (same PCD and offset) and there are a few other common parts.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 pm

The comments about the wheels is very interesting. I had a 620 a few years ago, and I thought I would transfer the spoked type wheels from a scrap 820 to my 620, and discovered that, although the 800 wheels fitted without any problems on the rear axle, they jammed on the front. On much closer examination I found that the front calipers were actually touching the inside of the 800 wheel. Needless to say I did not proceed any further and refitted the original wheels. I dont know whether you could fit some sort of spacers to the front wheels, though I think that is generally discouraged. I did think of grinding off the part of the caliper that was touching the wheel. It really would not have needed much, but then they do get hot and metal expands when it heats up, and the last thing you would want on a steep hill is the calipers grinding away the inside of your front wheels.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun May 10, 2020 12:27 am

I don't suppose you checked the wheel diameters Adrian? I know the very early 820s had 14" wheels and they wouldn't fit on an 825 (Honda engined 825) or 827 because it had the bigger brakes.

Something in the back of my mind says the 620 had bigger brakes but without checking i might be wrong, it would explain the 820 wheels not fitting if they were smaller diameter though.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Sun May 10, 2020 7:17 am

True Dave. The 620 had 282mm discs. The 620si came with 15inch and the ti with 16.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:50 pm

I did once look to buy a 620ti to put me on whilst my 800 was off the road (only had one then) but I felt the interior was too Japanese and somehow spartan compared to an 800. At the same time, also considered a Jaguar X type but the one I saw was a bit of a wreck really. I do half fancy (in fantasy land) an X type tourer/estate with the 2.5 auto AWD. They were going quite cheap about 18 months or so ago and now they've increased in price for what are now older cars! How does that work?
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:19 am

It's that J-badge that does it Mark!

Have you also considered a Mondeo V6 estate? Some versions also had the AWD system a la Jag
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 am

I was going to get the Mondeo ST 3L V6 (54 plate-ish). It was that or the Vitesse. Whilst I appreciate big engine grunt, the Vitesse is slightly quicker and since I already had 800s it made better sense to stick wiith the problems you know (well, a lot of them) rather the learn about a whole pile of different ones.

Didn't know any Mondeo had AWD.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:58 am

Fastback wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:37 am

Didn't know any Mondeo had AWD.
If you look in the overview section on the right of this Wiki page, you'll see there was an AWD option from launch in 1993 (i always thought it was 1994 it was launched as it won "Car of the Year '94" which i found strange at the time as i was sure it hadn't been launched when the award was given) to the present day except between 2000-2007 for some reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo

I know on many of the manual versions, especially early ones, if the clutch needed renewal it had to go on a body jig to do it properly. Presumably someone has found a sure-fire way around it by now but it's an expense to consider if you want a manual version.

While the Mk3 Mondeo is a good car, that was at the early days of Ford coding everything to the ECU so parts are going to start wearing out and will be £OUCH! to renew/replace once you've had the parts coded to the ECU - yes, that's right, even secondhand parts have to be coded!

It was Fords attempt at covert security to prevent cars being stolen simply for replacement parts - i believe the cost is around £100 per part so can be an expensive hobby!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:42 am

Yes, coded parts. A bit ridiculous. I believe these in-tyre pressure guage monitor things are car coded and I've now even heard of batteries being coded to a specific car. It's all a bit of a con really and just makes me even more determined to keep my cars on the road for as long as possible (both are daily drivers).
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Very ridiculous - it's a con no matter where you are as a customer, you have to pay extra if you cn afford new parts, or if you are running an older car and use secndhand parts, still have to pay extra. The only winner is Ford. :evil:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate