BREXIT - from my point of view.

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

BREXIT - from my point of view.

Post by Manalishi » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:30 pm

To start with - and let me be very clear - I'm not opening this as a "BREXIT yay or nay"-thread. I understand every person in the UK has their own political view on this and I can see benefits on both sides of the story. But let me tell you what it means to me, as I live in another country in the EU and drives not one, but four British classic cars.

The story this time is about my black 827 Vitesse, but it could be about any of the number of things I've ordered for my guitars or other cars after Brexit. The pattern is the same and this is just an example from many over the last few months.

As some of you may know I had a break down in February, and I narrowed it down to the starter switch. I managed to find one from a fellow Rover man in the UK, a great guy that is very helpful. I bought the switch on the 1st of March and it was shipped the next day. This is when the saga begins.

Our country (Sweden) is known for it's rules and regulations, being almost like a mix between stiff Germans to the old Soviet state. Very thorough and precise but loads and loads of bureaucracy everywhere. And here is where we get struck by Brexit. Since Brexit the UK is considered the same as China here. All parcels appears to be sent off to enormous deposit halls. And there the wait begins... First someone must look at the shelves for a week or two, then they pick up a few parcels and send them to customs. The customs put them on a new shelf and it stays there for a week or two too. Then one day the custom officer picks a parcel up and reads the label. It is then sent to the next level where a new custom officer looks at it and says, "Oh wait, it is Thursday today, I can do this on Monday or Tuesday." After filling the forms it's forwarded to the post office on Wednesday.

And yesterday it arrived here. Five weeks from door to door. I presume the mail man had a flat tyre on his bike too... So after paying the customs and administration fee from our mail service (about as much as the part was in the first place, including shipping) it's finally in my hands.

You get my rant... Sorry.

:D :D :D

Hopefully we'll get some nice weather this weekend so I can attack the problem!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: BREXIT - from my point of view.

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:40 am

That sounds like a raw deal there Henrik! Sorry to hear that. I know a lot of people on the Volvo forum often buy parts from Skandix and other companies in Germany and they are having trouble with deliveries, both in terms of delays and also costs - the minimum shipping charge to the UK now seems to be 60 Euros which for a low value part is ridiculous.

Hopefully the politicians (all of them in all countries) will see sense soon and sort something out.

Good luck with fitting the switch, two tiny screws hold it in to the steering lock but once the nacelle/cowl is off the top of the steering column, you should see it's an easy job.

The top and bottom halves of the cowl/nacelle clip together, there are (from memory) 4 or 5 screws that secure the bottom half to the column assembly, long, thin #2 Pozidriv screwdriver needed to remove them!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:00 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:40 am
That sounds like a raw deal there Henrik! Sorry to hear that. I know a lot of people on the Volvo forum often buy parts from Skandix and other companies in Germany and they are having trouble with deliveries, both in terms of delays and also costs - the minimum shipping charge to the UK now seems to be 60 Euros which for a low value part is ridiculous.

Hopefully the politicians (all of them in all countries) will see sense soon and sort something out.

Good luck with fitting the switch, two tiny screws hold it in to the steering lock but once the nacelle/cowl is off the top of the steering column, you should see it's an easy job.

The top and bottom halves of the cowl/nacelle clip together, there are (from memory) 4 or 5 screws that secure the bottom half to the column assembly, long, thin #2 Pozidriv screwdriver needed to remove them!
Quite agree! This is just silly At the moment and makes no one happy!

And Thanks Dave, the cowl is already off. Never fitted it last autumn.

Looks to be nice weather so hopefully I’ll find some time.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:51 am

Take some pics as you take the old ignition switch off and fit the new one please Henrik - i thought i had some but i don't and it may help others that have this problem! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:36 am

As Henrik said, it is very difficult to buy parts from England since the Brexit.
If in France we lost only one or two weeks for the delivery, the cost of the parts ingrease a lot, and we never really know the exact cost when we buy the parts whitch it is a problem for me.
So now, in my Jaguar's club a lot of people buy its parts from a German suppliers whitch was more expensive before, but not now.
And as I said in one of my post, when I had a problem with my Rover, I didn't want to buy in USA, because it was complicated with the delay of the delivery and the extra cost, but now is the same, so for me I will put the US suppliers and English suppliers in competition now. But I cross my finger that I will not have to buy some parts !!!

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:01 am

It's always worth asking Stephan if people know of a good place for certain parts. Often i've found it's cheaper to buy from RockAuto and sometimes that has been the only place to buy.
Other times on more generic parts like Lambda sensors there is a quick and easy option available from your local auto parts shop under the name of another another car.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:35 pm

Of course Dave, and the forums are a very good place to ask for.
But when you have choice beetween EU suppliers and GB suppliers, now with the Brexit, I will choose EU suppliers because you know exactly the price, you will not have surprise with deadlines because your parts lost time with customs.
And in fact the parts is made in the same country, China :cry:

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:09 pm

What Lodein said. Unfortunately I’ll be shopping in the EU from now on.

Our postal service takes its part and then the customs. Ok, to be honest I don’t care about the cost as I can afford it but the 3-5week delay is ridiculous.
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 pm

The situation is a bit ridiculous and I blame... :twisted: :lol:

Clearly it is in nobody's interests to have such restrictions, British folk want German cars (apparantly) and Europe wants, er, not sure what but something surely.

From my own experience I sent some camera gear to Portugal to be repaired in late March, it arrived with the repairer in mid April, so it took 2-3 weeks. It was with them less than a week and 2 days to be returned to me. On that occasion, I'm wondering where the problem is.

Sadly there are issues, but how many of them are real rather than bureaucratic?
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:10 am

I have some update on this little matter. I bought a few items from Rimmers last week and as I wanted them urgently I ticked the box for the most expensive shipping (ok, about £10 more than the cheapest but noted as being delivered at 3-8 business days instead of a possibility of 50 days delivery. (!)

I made the order on Wednesday at 13.00 and on Thursday at 13.45 the package arrived at my door!

So it's possible! :D
Henrik
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:15 am

Wow! We don't even get delivery that quick from Rimmers here! :shock:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:28 am

I spoke to a friend recently who sends car parts worldwide. He said he is sending a lot of parts to Russia, Australia and New Zealand now, and hardly any to Europe. He said similar to you Henrik, that the time makes it not worth sending to Europe now.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997