Prepare to pay more for your Ebay Purchase!.

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Prepare to pay more for your Ebay Purchase!.

Post by MG Mal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Ebay to "Tax" Postage fee's charged by Seller's!
From September 4th 2013, Final value fees will now be based on 10% of the combined total of sale price and postage. This is straight from Ebay, so time to look elsewhere or if you use ebay, build your postage into the start price (+10%) and offer free postage on all items.

Quote:
Final value fees change for all private sellers

Final value fees will be charged based on the combined value of the item listed plus postage.
For example, if an item sells for £20 with postage cost of £4, the final value fee will be charged based on the combined value of £24. This will not apply if the listing offers collection only.
So, now they want a portion of what it cost's sellers to post items as well as a final value fee, and paypal charges (which they own as well)

So,....
It's either build it into the start price, or offer collection only on all items after September 4th!.

I think All my spares new or otherwise will likely be going to the scrap man.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Prepare to pay more for your Ebay Purchase!.

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:30 pm

The time is ripe for a copycat site to spring up with less complexity than Ebay and flat fees that are fair and clear. Ebay is definitely great for buyers and very unclear and unfair on sellers.
No longer an 800 owner!

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm

I agree Brad.

At this time Ebay buyers have far more protection than sellers do.
Sellers are considered "Guilty until proven innocent" due to ebays "Buyer protection policy" and as they own PayPal, they can lock down your funds until an outcome is decided. I have heard some real horror stories of private sellers being out of pocket by large sums due to ebay's lopsided policies.

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:46 pm

I can agree with you both regarding the complexity of ebay now as opposed to how it was a few year back, but as an alternative thought is it that ebay are trying to stop the rip off sellers who charge way and above what it costs to pack and send items?
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Their claim is that it will make things "fairer" for sellers, but I don't see how.

As it's initially being rolled out for Private sellers only (at the moment), we will see an increase of collection only listings, and an increase in postage charge's or start prices.

The general concensus on the private sellers board is that ebay is trying to push out private sellers, but it makes no sense.

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:56 pm

The time is ripe for a copycat site to spring up with less complexity than Ebay and flat fees
Are you busy Brad?? Your business and financial knowledge could set that up.

Ebays charges are becoming a bit of a joke now. 2 years ago they were telling sellers to try to keep postage charges realistic by not over charging. Now they stick a levy on a part of the business which quite frankly they have nothing to do with, which is going to hike the already expensive postage charges. When I started on ebay the charges were literally pennies, you paid only to list, that was it, no final value fees and no paypal fees( it didn't exist). Now the listing fees are such a small part of their turn over they even offer free listing at least once if not twice a month, except on cars and parts of course, thats very rare.
I could rant about Ebay all night but I cant be bothered, on the other hand I wish I owned it!

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:30 pm

I live on Ebay, both buying and selling...
They do free listings weekends every other weekend(will be this weekend coming)
The good thing about that is you can put stuff on there, maybe set a high start price, if no one buys it ain`t cost ya nothing...
Next time just click re-list...
After awhile, if not no luck drop your price

If you sell, expect to pay Ebay 10% in fees, plus paypal charges fees to sellers recieving money (about 5% i think)

I always keep my postage low as poss, but i also reuse packing materials.

If you bump up the price of post buyers will only bid less anyway or not bid at all.

As said above, this doesnt apply to Cars for sale, But.... you can list all your spare parts
You can even list a car in `parts`
I have listed a non-runner in there a few times

You really need to know your weights and postage costs very well
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:47 pm

I bought a switchpack off eBay a few months ago, it was £5.65 for postage and packing (but the Post Office charge of £2 or so was clearly on the jiffy bag). Not worth making a fuss about as the switchpack only cost me 99p...
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:49 pm

If you've got to pay more to make a sale feasible, then so has your competitor, if there's an alternative that works for you such as local rag, gumtree etc use it, if you need the garanteed worldwde audience and therefore potential customer base that ebay offers then you're stuck with it and only you knows your margin, break even point and feasibility of continuing to use ebay. Ebay know this and that's why they have the monopoly and know they can get away with it.

Mal is right with his opening thread title, the buyer will ultimately pay more and ebay will earn more.

Suck it up or jog on I'm afraid .......... 8)
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 pm

there is actually a genuine reason for this, currently sellers pay a fee based upon the final selling price not including postage.
But to get round this some sellers are listing their items very cheap but put the post sky high so they will pay less in sellers fees

for instance..
DVD £10 PLUS £1 POSTAGE.... the seller will pay 20% of the tenner in fees
or
DVD £1 PLUS £10 POSTAGE..... the seller only pays 20 % of 1 pound in fees

But ultimatly the sellers will be charged more, therefore they will try and pass the costs on to the purchsers :(
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC