What I did this summer (Pic heavy)

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What I did this summer (Pic heavy)

Post by Richard C » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:45 pm

This time last year I got talked into cycling Lands End to John O Groats for charity, one of the guys at work his son collapsed one night at football training and was taken to hospital, sadly he died, he was 17 it turns out he had an undiagnosed heart complaint. This had the effect of his Dad raising money for Cardiac Risk in the Young who gave the family bereavement counselling but also they hold screening sessions for young people and this was going to be the charity that we supported.

Bascially 8 of us from work were to cycle 1 was going to drive a van with all of our gear in it and there was an addition in a friend of one of the guys from work.

We set off from Lands End on June 29th and finished in John O Groats on the 11th July, 1074 miles later.

We raised as of writing £20,000 (there is roughly another £2,000 to come) for the charity which was double the target we had set ourselves at the beginning, we were blown away by people's generosity.

We had 20 minutes of drizzle in the two weeks and were lucky to miss the really hot period (I can't believe I said that) the south had as we were in northern Scotland by the time that kicked in even so I have a cycle sat nav which also measured temperature and the day we cycled alongside Loch Ness it recorded 28 degrees.

I have to say it was one of the best experiences I have ever had, we really do have a beautiful country, but I really fell in love with Scotland the scenery was breath taking it really was.

On the trip I saw Dolphins in Plymouth harbour, Salmon leaping in Scotland, and the night sky not going completely dark it was really special,

Anyway here are a few of the Scottish photo's I may upload so of the others at some point.

(Sorry if this is a little like sharing my holiday snaps)

Looking towards Bonar Bridge we were buzzed by Tornados from 617 squadron when we reached the river, they came overheard very low

These were taken near a town called Lairg it was so quiet.

Yes the roads in Scotland are very quiet therefore you can stand in the road without fear of getting run over. The view is looking east to the left over the first ridge but out of sight is Loch Ness, Inverness is over the last ridge and slightly left of centre.

A flight of locks on the Calendonian canal at St. Ausgustus

Gin Palaces on the Calendonian canal there is a cycle path alongside and we enjoyed several miles of views like these

This is the path alongside Loch Lochy and went on for 7 miles but avoided the tourist traffic on the A82 up the Great Glenn the mountain in shot is Ben Nevis which still had snow on the top.

These are of Loch Tulla

The enterance to Glencoe with Buachaille Etive Mòr on the left one of the most destinctive Munro's in Scotland

Another view of Buachaille Etive Mor and Glencoe

First two of the group are of Rannoch Moor the third is of the hills around the Bridge of Orchy

All of these are of Loch Lomond

This last one is from Loch Naver which is only a few miles from Scotlands northern Coast
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Thomas J
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What I did this summer (Pic heavy)

Post by Thomas J » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 pm

What a good cause and it must have been pretty tough though as its someone known.

I dont mean to cause offense but i did snigger a little at bonar bridge
i want lots of british cars got 1 want more

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:02 pm

Thomas J wrote:
I dont mean to cause offense but i did snigger a little at bonar bridge
Haha non taken I didn't name it, although you are not the first to mention it :D
Richard

@Rich_Clements

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Congratulations to you Richard a Sterling effort. Friends of ours lost their daughter in very similar circumstances about 6 years ago.

Do you have a link so Michelle and I could sponsor you please?
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:14 pm

of course, thanks very much donate
Richard

@Rich_Clements

Thomas J
Regular Visitor

Post by Thomas J » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi I've just donated to this cause. Sorry it's not much but I just wanted to give something
i want lots of british cars got 1 want more

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Fabulous pictures of the Big Country Richard those skies are incredible.
Well done for your efforts.

Kate :D

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 am

Simon Hubbard wrote:Do you have a link so Michelle and I could sponsor you please?
Likewise - I'd like to send you something

Sterling effort, Rich
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:24 am

Thomas J wrote:Hi I've just donated to this cause. Sorry it's not much but I just wanted to give something
Good for you Thomas, we have also. Well done again Rich.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:31 am

Thanks everyone for your donations, I am really touched,

Thanks

Rich
Richard

@Rich_Clements

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:47 am

Donation made - sorry I couldn't Gift Aid it as I'm not a UK taxpayer

By the way, if I remember correctly one of the little lochs north of Invergarry is the same shape as Scotland when viewed from a high-ish point.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 am

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:58 am

Well done Rich, terrific effort,
and some super pics.

Jon R

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Congratulations!

LE>JOG is something I need to do, either solo or as a team.

My little nephew did 190 miles for his charity. Nothing on your journey, nut still for a good cause.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

TheOldMan
Regular Visitor

Post by TheOldMan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:34 am

Modest donation on its way.

Keep showing such good photos of Scotland. That way all the tourists will go there and leave my beloved Cheviots in peace for me and my fellow Reivers.

http://www.visitnorthumberland.com/nort ... viot-hills
Dusan's Dad - it's MY Rover son!
And it's my 40 too, or what's left of it.