WindowsXP problem.

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
aryan57
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

WindowsXP problem.

Post by aryan57 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:25 am

Help! I am stuck. While using the Repair facility on the XP disk, I accidently put a new copy of XP on my PC so now it boots to the new copy. I now have 2 copies of XP on my machine and it will only boot to the new copy. I cant use the Restore function because I am on the new XP copy, so there is nothing older than yesterday. Fortunately I have an old Compaq that I am now using.

How can I delete the new XP copy and get back to usingthe old copy of XP? Do I need to get everything off of the hard disk and format everything again?
1992 820SI saloon.

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: WindowsXP problem.

Post by deano » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Try going to the `Control Panel`
Click on `Programs`
Then click on `View Updates`

If there is an update for windows xp(it should be dated the day u installed it)
then delete it and it will go back to the old version

I have done this several times with IE9 and 10, cos i prefer the old IE8
But sometimes i get problems and have to update, so then i go to updates and delete the IE9 and it goes back to IE8

Hope this helps :)
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Alternatively it may be possible to change the BIOS settings if you catch it on the boot up (I have to press ESC on my HP but different PCs use different buttons). You may then be able to select which version of XP it boots up
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

aryan57
Regular Visitor

Post by aryan57 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:02 am

Thank you gents, advice was appreciated. I am a bit further forward this morning. Got rid of the Dual Boot feature, (it was the Boot.ini file) and am now back where I was before putting the extra copy of XP on.Cant boot in Safe mode, it just goes around in a loop until it stops with a Blue screen and an error message. Seems I have a corrupted or missing file, an MS bulletin referrs to this common windows problem. My backup hard drive has failed to work also. Just when I needed it most.

Still, with all this, I cant complain, this is my first major Windows problem in 8 years so I have been very lucky. I now know more about how Win XP works than I ever wanted to know. I will get there. Thanks again.
1992 820SI saloon.

Bert3
Regular Visitor

Post by Bert3 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:16 am

Good you got it going again..... gives you a fighting chance ...

First problem in 8 years ... that'll be XP ... that's why MS stopping supporting it in the hope you'll switch to a newer machine locked to W8 and it's wonderful UEFI Boot compatability ("No you can't boot up YOUR machine from YOUR recovery discs. The machine says NO") ..... a system designed to need tech support from the off :roll:

I always keep linux on a pendrive handy these days :D

aryan57
Regular Visitor

Post by aryan57 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:06 am

("No you can't boot up YOUR machine from YOUR recovery discs. The machine says NO") ..... a system designed to need tech support from the off)

You mean that people would actually do this sort of thing as a business practice? I am shocked (not)

(I always keep linux on a pendrive handy these days)

Been looking into things and came across an article on using Linux to solve my problem using that exact tequnique, keeping a Pen drive handy. Will rememberthat.
1992 820SI saloon.