R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

Post by MG Mal » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Passed into peace today aged 95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j94fteQR-TY

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: R.I.P. Nelson Mandela

Post by Manalishi » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:13 pm

One of the 10 most important persons to world evolution I think.
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:40 pm

He made other leaders like Blair look so inadequate. He's possibly the greatest man of the 20th century in terms of politics and humanitarianism.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:52 am

At the risk of sounding churlish, let's not forget that the ANC were not the WI and that as a terrorist organisation (for that is what they were, even if their cause may have been just) they were directly and indirectly responsible for many thousands of deaths in their time - most of the victims being fellow black africans. Their leadership have blood on their hands in much the same way as IRA/Sinn Fein and any other political group that uses violence to get their way. I'm not judging, just reminding people to keep a sense of perspective. Mandela was one of the strongest advocates of "violent" protest as opposed to passive resistance (the ANC used the word "violent", it's not my choice of words).
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:10 am

I agree that they are not "Saint's" and Mandela never claimed to be.
He was even quoted as saying "I am not a saint as many believe me to be, Unless........ A saint is a sinner who keeps trying."

I don't think he will merely be remembered for his post incarceration efforts and achievements, but for becoming the man we know today and his efforts and achievements since his release.

Anyone who try's to white wash the events that led to his imprisonment, is not doing justice to the victims on both sides or the man himself, as without it, he would not have become the man we know now.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:16 am

Absolutely right and sometimes for the greater good we have to accept that we have to negotiate with terrorists/freedom fighters (delete as applicable).
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT