What is this?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Eduardo
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is this?

Post by Eduardo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:25 pm

I just saw a PINK Mercedes with a guy wearing a big black hat driven it...Mercedes was pretty new and license plate was a regular Spanish one. Definitely this country is going down to hell in barrel. This is what i liked and had to say. :oops: :oops:
1999 Rover KV6 Sterling Saloon Nigthfire Red
1996 Rover 825 SDI Saloon BRG
1976 Lincoln Continental Mark IV White Brown
1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible Phoenician Ivory
1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Berlina Black
2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Grey

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: What is this?

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Baby pink Range Rovers covered in sparkly crystal badges are very popular here - all are driven by young Arab men. There is a similar classic Mini convertible, also driven by a "bloke". Baby blue is also popular with the same group of men.

Mind you, they do walk around wearing dresses......
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Eduardo
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Eduardo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:02 pm

Could be... but this is DEEP Spain. In my long life (53) this is the first time i see a pink Mercedes. Of course in mean in Spain. I still remember the laugths of a friend of mine in Philly Pa when visiting the city i exclaimed 'Look!!! a nigger in a Cadillac' ...well that was long time ago.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 pm

I guess that the world's idea of an acceptable form of address has moved on a bit since then :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Eduardo
Regular Visitor

Post by Eduardo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:12 pm

May is say: not in the rigt way? or at least: not for me?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 am

Just found this thread and it's crossed my mind that in Spain the "N-word" (nigger) is not as socially unacceptable/offensive/racist/politically incorrect as it is perceived here.
Likewise in America it might seem, Kanye West who is what you might describe as of darker extraction has a song called "Gold Digger" (Gold-digga?) and there is a line in that similar or the same as "I ain't saying she's a gold digger, but i don't see her messin' with no broke nigger". Now does the fact that he is black mean he can use the N-word with impunity or should he also be prosecuted for racism? Or is it simply that black Americans don't view it the same way as black British?

Although i don't know any personally i have spoken to many black Americans and they don't come across as anything other than American so perhaps in the States there isn't the "izzit coz i iz black?" culture as there is here in the UK. Many English black people i've met always seem to be "yeah, i'm English but i'm black too".

Would just like to point out i'm not trying to spark a row on racism, just airing my experiences and querying whether we are the only country that views the N-word as offensive.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 am

I've always believed that words themselves are not offensive - only the context or intent with which they are used. The same goes for guns (a whole different debate, for another day!)

However, I would ask everyone to be careful with their choice of words and to remember that other members may see things differently.

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:49 am

remember alf garnet and the series : love thy neighber : both now would not be P.C. :D
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:11 am

metelmickey wrote:remember alf garnet and the series : love thy neighber : both now would not be P.C. :D

Just like Robinsons jam and their "mascot" - originally renamed as the "Robinsons Golly" then dropped altogether to appease the PC Brigade.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Eduardo
Regular Visitor

Post by Eduardo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:16 am

I did learn the word nigger in Pa USA....translation to Spanish of Spain is 'negrata'... well i'm sorry to say it's despective and at the end the word is used to describe a coloured man who is different or opposed to common (me) of Spaniards. A man with a enormous black hat driving a pink Mercedes is way different to the common of Spaniards in deep Spain. For some reason i consider it ...'dangerous' maybe be the guy is the most kind and educated man in the world...but i doubt it. And i have the sneaky suspiction that he is related with drugs and prostitution. Well this is what ithink and that's me. :evil: :evil:

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:56 am

The N word to me means Nissan.

I agree with RM. It depends in whose company you are, in what context a certain word is spoken and what inference is meant.

If you called me a lanky tw*t and I knew you and knew you meant it as a laugh, I'd laugh too. If you were a stranger in a pub holding a pint of beer and wobbling a bit and calling me a lanky tw*t, I'd be intimidated.
No longer an 800 owner!

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:44 am

Very Tall Brad wrote: If you called me a lanky tw*t and I knew you and knew you meant it as a laugh, I'd laugh too. If you were a stranger in a pub holding a pint of beer and wobbling a bit and calling me a lanky tw*t, I'd be intimidated.
Is your "i" key not working, it seems to be depicting a star .............
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Pink could be a form of camouflage, SAS Landies were pink to blend in with the desert (not that I'm saying mid Spain is desert but it seems the landscape can be a bit beige coloured in places).
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Eduardo
Regular Visitor

Post by Eduardo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:44 pm

A PINK Mercedes a form of camouflage? Well pal, not here. Not to mention the big black hat. And the colour of his skin.
By the way, Seville is southwest Spain. Fields use to be green all year long except June to September wich are yelow in most places. When i say: deep Spain, i do not mean mid Spain but: non contaminated areas for tourism (God bless them, specially Brits, included) These areas are not real Spain but a kind of resort and are not lived for real Spaniards.

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Eduardo wrote:A PINK Mercedes a form of camouflage? Well pal, not here. Not to mention the big black hat. And the colour of his skin.
Then I am sure he is conspicuous to the Guardia Civil military thugs, and I'm sure they will have his card marked, we had a similar instance near Almeria where a well known 'character of dubious nature' was flagged down at a GC roadblock where they simply told him to wind his window down, shot him through the thigh then dragged him orf to Jail for 'questioning'.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.