What is your latest purchase?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What is your latest purchase?

Post by CHR15E » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Totally agree mate, ideal in that situation.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:21 pm

CHR15E wrote:Dave - The grinder stand looks handy. I'm fortunate enough to have a full size chop saw. Very handy for straight cuts and multiple cuts especially on thicker steel.

My dad always wanted a lathe. Not sure I'd get the use of one now.

However much space you have it's never enough. :D

Mal - That's a lot of tools for the money, a decent set to keep in a car maybe? I can't help but be picky with stuff like that, same for sets of sockets. In the cheaper sets they always miss out a few. It looks like the 200 piece set is the one to have?

Though obviously a lot more money. Personally my sets have been bought individually and that way I can choose the most comprehensive of each size/depth.

Nice as a backup of for a car though.
Chris - I originally adapted a Black & Decker drill press/stand to do a similar job to the grinder stand but it was a right pain setting it up for angles and to be honest was a little dangerous to use because i had to reach over the wheel/disc to pull the handle down and the further down it went, the closer my fingers got to the disc! Not ideal!
Then i spotted that Wolfcraft animal on Amazon and added it to my basket and eventually got round to buying it. A full sized chop saw would be too much for my needs at this moment in time although maybe one day! Meanwhile i think i can fit a larger disc onto my grinder now it's on this stand as it has a separate guard for the disc which would increase the range of cutting.

The lathe was always a "desirable" tool but i didn't imagine i'd ever find one for the price i was willing to pay - which was as little as possible over £100. Obviously at that price i was prepared for compromise on something, in this case it's missing a few gears, guards etc but the parts the missing guards would cover don't rotate due to the lack of gears - i wonder if they were removed for that reason?

I had a look at "Mals" socket set in Halfrauds today and also the 27 piece 1/4" drive set to keep in the car.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage ... et-set-1-4

Like you i'm super-fussy about what's in things like that for the same reason - don't want to be carrying things that won't get used ever but do want everything i'm likely to use. Didn't quite fit the bill for what i'm looking for although i'm still tempted as it's a very good set.

The bigger one (Mals) is too much for what i'd want out of a bigger set - too much as in too many bits that wouldn't get used but a very nice set nonetheless and is also very tempting. The socket set i really want from Halfrauds is too much for my budget just now :

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage ... t-1-2#tab1

It's what i've always known as a "Hollodrive" but they call it a Vortex. No need for deep sockets as it behaves like a ratcheting ring spanner of various sizes. Maybe one day.......
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:19 am

I know what you mean, I find I always end using things more than I thought I would once I have them though. I guess we all do?

My dad picked our saw up years ago at an autojumble for about £25 I think. Been worth its weight in gold over the years. I built new gates at home last year. No way I would have tried without it.

Massive amount of cutting by the time I'd done! Work in progress at this stage naturally. :D

I'm picky with everything, can't help it for some reason. :D

I don't doubt the quality of the sets, my mate Joe has one and swears by it. Ideal as backup as said already.

I use to cart alsorts about, now I'd just phone the AA and wait TBH. Lost all interest lately.

I've seen those vortex ones before. I would give them a whirl if I were starting from fresh. With what I already have it would be a waste for me. As I've stopped using them anyway.
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:31 pm

I think if i was starting out i'd probably go for one of those Vortex sets too as it means there isn't a need for deep sockets or similar. That said i'd probably choose the more economical solution of a standard socket set and box spanners unless i was in a position where i needed the Vortex feature every day.

Those gates a a nice bit of work and i doubt there's many (any???) that would attempt building those without some sort of powered saw. My first "big" project for the grinder stand version will be a set of car ramps - not the average drive up ramps like you can buy anywhere but a set that you drive the whole car onto, jack one end up and the car is then at a better working height and level. That's still a long way off though.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:19 pm

I'm crazy with things I get involved in.

This is some of my socket collection.

I wouldn't think so either, it was a god send tbh. I'd probably still be there now without it. :D

I know the sort of thing you mean. I looked at the car forecourt ones a while back.

If I were as bothered as I once was I would do something similar.
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:22 am

Crikey Chris - that's some collection of sockets! Reckon you'd only have one gate if you'd had to cut the metal by hand lol!

The ramps i have in mind are similar to the forecourt ones but are quite often called Restoration Ramps. Hoping to do them sooner rather than later while i still can as it were as it's getting more and more difficult to get on the floor or back up if i do. Time will tell as to whether i get them done or not though. :roll:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:35 am

That angle grinder cut-off tool adaptor is a neat piece of kit.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:38 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Crikey Chris - that's some collection of sockets! Reckon you'd only have one gate if you'd had to cut the metal by hand lol!

The ramps i have in mind are similar to the forecourt ones but are quite often called Restoration Ramps. Hoping to do them sooner rather than later while i still can as it were as it's getting more and more difficult to get on the floor or back up if i do. Time will tell as to whether i get them done or not though. :roll:
It's not all I have either, I seem to go nuts when I get interested/involved in something. Hence 50+ 800s.

At best, most likely. It took over a week as it was by the time I got stuck in. As ever it turned out to be a bigger job than I expected. Glad it's done though. The old ones were really had it, these she should see me right for a while.

What sort of working height are you after? Tbh I found big jacks a massive improvement. Then chock the car how you see fit and away you go.
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:11 pm

Richard Moss wrote:That angle grinder cut-off tool adaptor is a neat piece of kit.
It is, in more ways than one. The footprint is about 9" x 8" and with the grinder attached is about 16" tall with the standard disc. It makes a nice storage bracket for the grinder when it's not in use rather than just putting it into a drawer or box or whatever.
I'm also planning on looking to see if i can fit a larger disc than standard to give a deeper cut seeing as it comes with an extra blade guard.
CHR15E wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote: What sort of working height are you after? Tbh I found big jacks a massive improvement. Then chock the car how you see fit and away you go.
I'm looking to get the car about 18-30" off the ground when the ramps are level. Also i would like to be able to drive the car up at an angle when the "jackable" end of the ramp is still on the ground for doing things like rust-proofing, underseal etc. Many moons ago i used some "ramps" that were basically big blocks made from box section with a "V" shape so the wheel sat in each one once the car was jacked high enough to get them under the wheels. As you probably know with the 800 that isn't easy if using the lashing points to jack on as they are quite high to start with, reducing the effective lift of even the bigger jacks. Also to get the car onto those kind of ramps just for an oil change is a bit of a work up whereas drive on ramps that then just need leveling are much quicker and easier. It's all a big trade off between cost, storage and a few other factors. :roll:
I've still got other ideas floating around in the vacuous space that passes for a brain cell these days so may still change my mind - part of the reason i've done nothing so far towards building them anyway!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

baldric
Regular Visitor

Post by baldric » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:40 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Well i have 2 recent purchases, both of which come under my "Vanity Tools" classification - tools i have because they are needed once in a while and when they are needed are a god-send although unlikely to pay for themselves anytime soon but when they just sit there gathering dust have bragging rights attached because "i've got a tool that will do that". Hence the "Vanity Tools" description - nowt to do with pedicures, spray tans and all that malarkey! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The first is my xmas present to myself :

Bought from Amazon, it's an angle grinder stand that turns a humble angle grinder into a mini-chop saw. Not used it yet, been too busy with xmas and it's been too cold to play in an unheated, uninsulated shed!

The second is one i bought from ebay. Been after one for a long time but finding the right size item at the right price, without travelling too far etc etc has been tricky then it came up on ebay :

So it's missing the thread cutting gears and a couple of guards etc but is otherwise complete and working. As i don't plan on thread cutting the missing gears aren't too much of a problem although i would like the auto-feed for the slide but hey-ho, i can live without it until such times as the right bits turn up.

Now i just need a second shed to put all the stuff i currently store in my main (only!) current shed in so i can actually get in and move around to do things in the shed!
I already have a list of projects for the lathe so i suspect it will become more than a Vanity Tool in fairly short order and work its way up the rank to a "Workshop Essential" eventually!
i like the lathe just right for restoration ,,, parts are ready available especially on flea-bay ,,, my uncle had one in the fifties which got me interested as a boy ,,, and i am retired now with a reasonably good work shop
charles

baldric
Regular Visitor

Post by baldric » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:22 pm

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq23 ... 78_o_1.jpg
not so much a rover more of a cat
this is what my daughter drives one of the biggest machines at the newcrest mine , in weatern Australia I can walk around underneath this monster and only occasionaly ducking my head ,,, its bigger than a standard uk council house fully loaded around the 160 ton mark that's daughter sitting on the front fender tyres are worth around 30,000 each well some one has to keep the old man in rolies

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Good ol' Caterpillar!

You know you clicked the "Email & IM" link on the Photobucket page Charles? If you go down the page a little to the IMG code and click that one instead then paste it where you want the picture to appear, you should be good to go. Photobucket seems to be playing up here at the moment so don't know if the link i put in above will display as your image but it should do.

That's a bit bigger than the Cat stuff i used to work on but i think they share the same engine, the 35C16? Big V16 69L twin turbo diseasel.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

baldric
Regular Visitor

Post by baldric » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:45 pm

good on yer dave
I am getting there slowly you managed to repost that ok
there is plenty of vacancies for heavy machinery people in the mining industry ,,, photo bucket seems to be playing up here takes ,,, forever and ever to load thanks dave ,,, do you still have the myford
chas

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:16 pm

baldric wrote:good on yer dave
I am getting there slowly you managed to repost that ok
there is plenty of vacancies for heavy machinery people in the mining industry ,,, photo bucket seems to be playing up here takes ,,, forever and ever to load thanks dave ,,, do you still have the myford
chas
Still got the Myford, Photobucket seems to have sorted itself out as well! I'd be very tempted with those vacancies if the past 11 years hadn't happened! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:21 pm

looks to be fun to work on, a bit bigger than the hgv's i work on
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil: