Spring is sprung

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Andrewg11rover
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Spring is sprung

Post by Andrewg11rover » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:25 pm

The grass is riz (etc)...

Anyway, taking advantage of the lovely Spring weather we had today I dragged the winter covers off the 825 coupe and fired it up for the first time since Autumn. Started first turn of the key. No tappity tappity tappity either - which was a pleasant surprise. It took the auto box a few moments to remember where reverse was, but it got there in the end. And I took it for a spin. Despite the rear callipers sticking (again) and the aircon system having lost all its gas (again) I was reminded just how fabulous these cars are. I wafted around in complete contentment. Just brilliant.

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Re: Spring is sprung

Post by BlueRover » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:57 pm

The rear calipers may not be the issue, check the guide pins as they do tend to seize in the carriers and prevent the caliper from sliding back and forth.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:10 am

"Boing!" said Zebedee! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I can't wait to get my coupe on the road again, i've done the bumper and bonnet, just need to refit the cat, give it an oil/filter change and a check over and get it in for test.

Looking forward to that waft again myself although i've not been deprived of six (cylinders that is) over winter thanks to the Jeep - but it's not quite the same! Also given the Sterling a few spins but that was off the road a while thanks to a terminally broken exhaust, now renewed, and is currently suffering knackered headlamps but that's another thread!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Dickie524
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Dickie524 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:18 am

I was reminded just how much nicer it feels to drive a clean and fully polished car. Why does a clean car drive so much better than a dirty one with loads of leftover cr*p in the boot?!!
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:00 am

Maybe because without all the extra weight it performs and rides as it was intended to do? Having it clean is a "feel good" thing anyway.
I normally evict all the cr@p from my cars for the MoT - doesn't always last long after though! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:38 pm

What Richard said, clean cars always drive better.

Shaun
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

Andrewg11rover

Post by Andrewg11rover » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:40 pm

BlueRover wrote:The rear calipers may not be the issue, check the guide pins as they do tend to seize in the carriers and prevent the caliper from sliding back and forth.
I will check that. Thank you.

Andrewg11rover

Post by Andrewg11rover » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:55 pm

BlueRover wrote:The rear calipers may not be the issue, check the guide pins as they do tend to seize in the carriers and prevent the caliper from sliding back and forth.
I took the pins out. On the one side they didn't seem to have ever been greased; just dry as a bone. On the other side the calliper seemed newer; the pins had been greased at some time, a long time ago - but what was left was just hard black gunk. Anyway I cleaned them up and found some silicon grease in my garage to smear them with. The pins themselves were fine. I popped them back in, lubricated the handbrake mechanism whilst I was there, and normal service is resumed.

Whilst the wheels were off I cleaned out the wheel arches of hard mud, particularly that tricky area above the fuel pipe. The pipe itself was sound, but I found a tiny hole in the wheel arch right at the top corner. I wirebrushed everything and painted it with hammerite, then some denitrol wax. The hole will have to wait for another day.

The pads and discs are newish and hardly used, with no scoring and even wear. Naturally I found that the two disc screws were missing on both sides - all that was left of them were four little stumps welded inside the hub. Sigh...

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Andrewg11rover wrote:silicon grease
Silicone lubricants should never be used on metal to metal friction areas. Use a graphited grease or even copper grease to prevent seizure.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Andrewg11rover

Post by Andrewg11rover » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:41 pm

No. Search the websites. Ordinary grease should not be used in contact with rubber. Silicon is often recommended. Next time you want to respond with such a terse note do your research first. It isn't an important debate but it's silly to be petty about it.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:23 pm

I apologise if I came across terse. I presume the rubber you are referring to is the seal/bushing a short distance into the carrier which is present to prevent noise and vibrations. Further into the carrier the pins have metal to metal contact with the carrier housing and as research will show silicone grease should not be used in this instance.

A lot of the information on the internet recommending silicone grease on caliper pins will be referring to ATE type calipers which have a stainless steel pin sliding within a rubber and plastic bushing where it would be the correct lubricant.

Please at least consider my advise. Silicone grease can cause seizure similar to friction welding on metal to metal parts in high load situations. The risk of damage to the rubber components like the bellows and seal will be negligible as they are nitrile like CV joint boots and have a degree of resistance to oil attack.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:46 pm

Ideally something like an EP Lithium based or preferably copper based grease should be used for the guide pins. Silicone grease is likely to carbonise due to the heat transferred from the discs/pads into the caliper resulting in silicone carbide, one of the most abrasive substances known.

Yes there are grades of silicone grease available with properties that are heat-resistant but i would strongly advise you remove the guide pins, clean any silicone grease off them and use a copper-based grease to reassemble it all. Many (most!) of the silicone based lubricants sold for general use aren't in the category of high temperature suitable.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:24 pm

Is this going to be one of those which oil is the best to use type arguement :wink:

If it is then I used common all garden grease on everything barring the plastic gear selector ball joint, which i used white grease.

You can use grease on rubber as long as its graded for oil which I would think that a brake caliper pin rubber is and so no problem. a pipe for example will have a DOT rating like brake pipes have a dot rating, its the same principle with oil. o nly thing is those dust protectors don't have any l;abelling.

I never had a problem with grease.

leaking oil and powersteering fluid is your worst enemy as it ruins anything rubber that is not made for oil contact, hence so many gear selector linkages biting the dust on the 820 because of bad crank seals, leaky gearboxes and seeping head and rocker gaskets.

Grease the pins and don't worry, they will be fine.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:32 pm

gyrobird wrote:Is this going to be one of those which oil is the best to use type arguement :wink:

I hope so, we haven't had one of those on here for a couple of years. :lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Be careful what you wish for. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold