London car dealer with some treasures

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

London car dealer with some treasures

Post by Lord Sterling » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:35 pm

I remembered this thread from the old site and thought I had better put it here if not for the new members:

I saw these pictures on a site I was browsing some time ago.

Apparently these cars belong to an obscure garage located beside on London's North Circular, outside he stocks newer second/third hand cars while inside he has treasures such as late 80's Rover 800's, Vauxhall Carltons, Granada's, many of which have not left the showroom since the mid 80's. Even the decor/signs have not changed since the mid 80's so its basically like stepping back in time to an Austin-Rover dealership back in the mid 80's. He still has many brochures on Austin/Rover/BMC/Leyland cars etc.. which can be had for free.

The garage/dealer is called: Derek J Ketteringham Ltd London, 375 North Circular Road London

I believe the garage used to be a Leyland/Austin-Rover dealer many years ago, he now seems to stock newer second-hand cars outside and keeps the older barges inside, some of the cars have been there since the early 1990's and have not more than few thousand miles on the clock.

When I get more info on this I shall add it here:

(The original thread where I got this info from seems to have gone missing, but all credit goes to "Seamaster" from Macdroitwich for the pictures and info)

Lord Sterling
Last edited by Lord Sterling on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

wylie_eyed
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by wylie_eyed » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:50 pm

baggsy the blue SD1 8)
John
Mercedes Vito 112CDi
Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
1972 Rover P5b saloon

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:53 pm

Wow!!!

From looking at the dvla website.

F823 SMM
Date of Liability 29 06 1991
Date of First Registration 12 01 1989
Year of Manufacture 1989
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1994CC

H644 OOH
Date of Liability 01 05 1997
Date of First Registration 01 06 1991
Year of Manufacture 1991
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1994CC

E746 EPD
Date of Liability 01 10 1999
Date of First Registration 22 09 1987
Year of Manufacture 1987
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2494CC

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:53 pm

I remember you mentioning these before Mo, he's a bit optomistic with those prices on the screens especially the ones stored outside, and I bet they look rougher now.

Wylie you would be better off with the red one, which looks in better condition.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:27 pm

That looks unbelievable. What is annoying for me, is that until June I used to live in the South East - never knew of that place's existance.

Is it still like that I wonder, and how long since those photos were taken?

Next time I am back up that neck of the woods I will endeavour to check it out.

That silver F plate XX looks beautiful.

And looking at the DVLA data that E plate XX is probably an 825 Sterling. What a gem of a garage!
One or two 800s...

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:31 am

The garage is most probably still like that, its been like that for years and apart from the stock outside nothing much has changed especially inside. I think the dealer must have known that these cars were going to become classic/rare one day so decided to preserve them?

The Gold Rover 820 (F823SMM) has something silly like 9000 miles on the clock I remember saying on the old site.

I certainly dont think his intention for the older cars is to really sell the them unless an enthusiast is willing to stump up the cash.

Lord Sterling

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:51 pm

I visited here last year. Around October... They are welcoming but don't get many visitors as access/parking is awkward unless you know the lie of the land, so to speak.

There were the cars Mo has posted and another 825 Sterling which I later found out was sold. :cry:

Don't go there to waste their time as they are not able to accomodate tourists, but if you want a nice low mileage modern relic, go have a look.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:52 pm

There's a similar garage near Marco Polo airport in Venice selling 1980's Lancias. Just thought I'd mention it. It was there in June 2005, but may not be there now, I guess.
No longer an 800 owner!

TDHFastback

more pictures

Post by TDHFastback » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:25 pm

This thread is back again due to the bad weather. Was on patrol on A406 when the heavens opened so dived for cover in here. It was open and i spoke to the owner. A very nice chap who has owned it for the last 56 years :shock: and saw the whole sorry decline of the Triumph Austin Rover company. He let me take some piccys for here.

The light blue one is an 820E saloon which is immaculate with no rust anywhere and ha sthe optional auto box.

The white saloon I think is an 820SI but it was difficult to see the badge on the boot. Not sure if its the colour but it looks really long.

Now the sad news. he said he is in negotiations with someone to sell the place. It is in a prime location and is unique in that it has a lay by on the A406. He said the interested party would be looking at change of purpose for the building.

So if you want a low milage Mk1 you know where to go. I assume he will have to sell his current stock and have advised him to look on this forum should he wish to sell the 800s as I beleive they should go to an enthusiast rather than just be run into the ground as a mini cab :cry:

Kate :D

vittyvinnie
Regular Visitor

Post by vittyvinnie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:29 pm

When I lived in Hemel Hempstead I used to pass that place many times on the way to Ikea ( taking the significant other !!)
Saw the old cars outside, all grubbie from the passing volume of traffic but never once looked inside! Kicking myself now that I've moved to the island! :x
Are the 800's as mint as they look?
'97 Vitesse Sport White Gold
Lowered, St St Mongose,K@N
" Love of my Life"
(Just dont tell the ex-wife)
'98 Vitesse Sport Charcoal Grey

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:43 pm

I think the older reports have stated that most are in exceptional condition, but the owner, is a little "Rigid" on his prices?

I think Brad may have been there before?

Mal.

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:05 pm

I've never been there, I only discovered the photos online and posted them here. Looks like I aint got long to go there, anyone from the Midlands looking to take a trip down to London anytime soon? :(

Lord Sterling

LeeLee
Regular Visitor

Post by LeeLee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:44 pm

OH WOW.....! :shock: Now thats pure nostalgia...! The bloke should kaap it as a museum... And look at all those old brochures and posters..! I could spend all day in there looking at that lot..! 8)
LeeLee.
1999 Rover 820Si manual Fastback
1997 Rover 820Si auto saloon
1982 Austin Ambassador 2.0 Vanden Plas.
1981 Princess 2.2 HLS auto, Rare 100 Club Special. (Pending Restoration)
1979 Princess 1700 HL (Mrs Winn)
1976 Lambretta GP 225

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Any manual 827s? :lol:
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:48 pm

CHR15E wrote:Any manual 827s? :lol:
:roll:

You need to be put into one of those 2.0 Autos. :lol:

I'm sure this bloke has a 87' Red/Grey 825 Sterling out on the back, I did see a photo somewhere.

Lord Sterling