Garage Find 1985 Montego 1.6L

Moderators: guru, SJG

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Garage Find 1985 Montego 1.6L

Post by MG Mal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:38 pm

The Maestro and Montego club received the following message:
There is a sad old red Montego in my father's garage in Stafford which has been off the road for twenty years (he died in in 1995 and had not used it for some time before that). He was a mechanic so the car was always well maintained but heaven knows what it's like now. It's certainly very dusty and the tyres are flat but the garage is a modern building and quite sound and dry. It is filled with so many tools and other things that it's not possible to walk around the car to view it as a whole but I think it would be fairly easy to get it out.

It's high time for us to get rid of the car and clear the garage. Have you any members in the Stafford area who might be prepared to come and have a look at it to see if it's worth rescuing for restoration or as a source of spare parts? It would be free to take away provided that we were not asked to pay any of the costs of removal.
I followed up on the request and made contact with the late owners son via email.
Last Sunday after an hour or so of prep the car was dragged out of the garage it has sat in for over 20 years.

As described by the late owners son, it was very dusty and greasy, once treated to a pressure wash and a good scrub, it was much improved in the looks dept.
So far nothing has been done to the interior, although it is still "under cover" and protected by seat covers, and carpet across the parcel shelf.
Original radio is present, and the dash is mint.

I had to use the cars original spare TDX wheel and tyre(as new) to load onto the trailer, as I mistakenly picked up a 200/400 steel rim and tyre when sorting "inflated tyres" to use for the recovery.

When I started work on reviving the car, I found that it had a semi seized/very stiff engine, which has since been treated to Castrol R down the bores, and has free'd them off nicely.

The car will now "try to catch" with the use of easy start, so I know it will run.

Next job was to strip and clean the carb and associated parts and a large amount of fresh fuel. (has a 1/3rd of a tank of 20 year old fuel still in it.)
I also poured in a full bottle of redex to "refresh" the old fuel a little!

The body work is much better than most of us would expect, and will likely only need one arch and sill end sorting to pass MOT. minor rust issues elsewhere, but as this is a non sunroof car, none of the usual A pillar issues are present, and the quarter light glass area is much better in condition the much younger versions of this model.

There was no Log book or service history with the car, apparently lost in the house clear up following Mr Purcell Seniors passing, But his son Lawrence, believes it is a former demonstrator and his Father was the only private owner.

It's Alive!...

New Cam driven fuel pump fitted and it starts on the key. New pump to tank pipe and pump to carb pipe fitted as the rubber as expectedley failed! otherwise, one more monty up and running.

I did not collect this car to add to my ever fluctuating fleet, but to try and find it a new home where it will survive for another 20 + years.

Link to the pictures below.

http://s236.photobucket.com/user/MGTurb ... 201600%20L

Very few Montego's of this year have survived, likely due to rust and being run into the ground as rep mobiles and taxi's etc.

To find a 'L' model from this year is even rarer, and gives an insight to the second lowest specification cars of the era.
No Montego 'Base" model cars are known to remain at this time.

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Garage Find 1985 Montego 1.6L

Post by TDHFastback » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:49 pm

I love stories like this.
It must be really exciting going to look at a car hidden in a barn/garage. You just don't know what you will find.

Really interesting to read this Mal. Would anyone in the Montego club be interested as it is a rare early model? (or may you change your mind?)

Kate :D

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:16 pm

It's always a "catch your breath moment" when the door is first opened.

Last weekend was this kind of "breath holding" x 3, as I was helping a friend recover an MGZS 180 and an MG Montego Turbo which both had similar stories behind them.

My hope is that an ARG fanatic or Maestro & Montego Club member will come forward to offer it a home for the minimal some of what it has taken to get it recovered and running etc, but it's doubtful at this point.

Most people just don't see them as desire-able or collectable at the moment, but one lives in hope!.

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Great news! As a resident of Stafford I'd love to know where this car was as I'm not aware of any Montegos left up here!
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:07 pm

It was up "Weeping cross" way.

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:31 pm

I live next to Weeping Cross!
Ben

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:39 pm

I pulled it out of a garage on Tiverton ave.

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:43 pm

Wow to think I was less than a mile away from a B reg Montego 1.6L. Theres also a Hyundai Pony down that street.
Ben

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:55 pm

And a few eejits in bimmers too! LOL

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:22 pm

yeah theres quite a lot of that in Stafford now. I blame cheap credit and the local BMW garage....
Ben

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Still not got around to the interior cleaning as yet, too much going on with the house and work etc.

But, I am now at the end of the 2nd stage of cleaning the exterior of the car.

1st stage was to completely blitz the 20 plus years of dirt from the car by using the car brush, lots of foamy car wash and the pressure washer.

After that I worked on getting her running, as no point trying to do anything with the paint until after the oily work was done.

2nd stage was a new one on me, as this is the first time I have used Auto Glyms colour restorer.

And the result is not bad at all!. :)

There are still the odd "milky streak" in some area's, but no doubt a new owner could "clay bar" them out without much issue.

Mind you, due to practically every panel needing some form of paint rectification, I think new paint would be a better option, unless an "as found" finish is required.

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:08 pm

Yo! Kudos to you lad for breathing new life into this thing. Its such a lovely car and what with you cleaning it up, it looks fresh and clean.

My cap is duly doffed sir.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Lot's more to do yet your Lordship.

Interior has been well protected by it's sole private owner, but the covers have "malted" and the interior is covered in "bits", will take me afew days to sort that lot out.

Then I have to strip and reset the rear brakes, and hand brake cable, add more fresh fuel to dilute the old , and it hopefully cure the rough running.
No drain tap on these cars, and I have no time to drop the tank etc.

Mal.

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:27 am

Thats looking good Mal.

You can almost hear the car breathing a sigh of relief after finally getting some well deserved attention.

Kate :D

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:20 pm

mal don't you have an old efi/turbo fuel pump, couple of wires and hoses drain the tank from the engine bay... its what i use in work... regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..