As good as it gets

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 am

I have very little regard for concours judges - few seem to be able to appreciate the difference between original spec/standard and "bling". Sadly the prize frequently goes to trailer-queens which rarely turn a wheel in anger. JT's car is a great example of what show competitions SHOULD be about - real cars, used regularly, driven to shows and used in between those shows.

Mind you, John is getting dangerously close to the level where he will be polishing the inside is the tailpipe with a toothbrush and Brasso.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

47p2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 47p2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 am

Richard Moss wrote:I have very little regard for concours judges - few seem to be able to appreciate the difference between original spec/standard and "bling". Sadly the prize frequently goes to trailer-queens which rarely turn a wheel in anger. JT's car is a great example of what show competitions SHOULD be about - real cars, used regularly, driven to shows and used in between those shows.

Mind you, John is getting dangerously close to the level where he will be polishing the inside is the tailpipe with a toothbrush and Brasso.

The judges have a tough time trying to select the best cars at a show, I know, I was judging at Stirling last year. Then there are all the wannabes who throw a wobbly because they thought their car should win, everyone thinks their car is best :shock:

I tried to look for originallity when I was judging, period extras were ok within reason but if the car was fitted with loads of bolt on accessories then it was a no no for me. Cast alloy engine parts were never polished when new so why polish them now, I often wonder why these cars attract loads of attention and often the top prize at shows. Another item I don't like to see is polished wheel arches....WTF is that about....Last year I saw numerous cars with mirror finished wheel arches. I can just see Ford workers lying underneath the new cars polishing the arches

Some cars look right when you see them, it doesn't happen often but when it does you just know that it's something special. This was what I thought when I saw the P2 for the first time, not that I knew what a P2 was and there was absolutely nothing on the internet about them. I took a risk buying it, I never knew how original it was or anything else about it, but it just looked right. I guess luck was on my side that day.

Yes Richard the polishing programme has been rather intense, so much so that Liz thinks I've lots the plot, but if I don't try I can't win. There again if the judges are relying on me cleaning my tail pipe then there is no chance of me winning
JT

...........Image

47p2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 47p2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:51 pm

I've finally finished getting Tilly ready so here are a few more pictures

The finished product

Off Side

Near Side

We've seen the engine so here is the massive boot

Filled with one suitcase, 5 litres coolant, can of oil, small case full of spare bits & bobs and a tool box

A reflection from the bonnet

Drivers footwell

Passengers footwell

Rear seating

Interior

Sunroof & winscreen opened
JT

...........Image

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Looks stunning John.

Lord Sterling

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Agreed. That interior just looks like a damn nice place to be.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 pm

A Gentleman's mode of transportation! Is that a modern wireless contraption under the dashboard? Lovely motor car 8)
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:27 am

The radio is a 1940s Radiomobile 100 model which has been converted to FM and has a socket for connecting an MP3 or CD player
JT

...........Image

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:27 am

John, as I said on PWC it's hard to imagine any 26 year old restoration looking better - especially impressive given that you use the car properly on the road. You must be justifiably proud of your efforts and the original restoration by the previous owner.

By the way, is Mr Cole (is that right?) still "with us" and do you keep in touch with him?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:35 pm

Thanks again Richard for you comments. I am proud, but not for what I have achieved I only try to keep her as tidy as I can, I could not do even a small fraction of the work Royce Cole has done, I am proud for what Royce has achieved, an unskilled man who took the time and patience to learn the skills involved to undertake such a mammoth task.

Sadly Royce Cole passed away a year before I bought Tilly and I never had the chance to meet him (so many questions I could have asked him and which remain unanswered) his wife however is still alive but in poor health and in a home for the elderly so not much chance of speaking with her.

After building the website 1947rover I have been contacted by various family and friends of Royce's and have gained valuable information, however I feel that unless anything else should come out of the woodwork (as they say) I have as much information about Tilly and Royce as I will ever have

I often wonder if I can keep Tilly as good as she is now, it is not an easy task, especially because she is being driven around. The front wings really could do with being repainted as they have stonechips etc on them that have been touched in over the years, this is a job I would love to have done and have spoken to several paint shops who come recommended. The answer however is always the same, yes we can do the job.....but, we can't guarantee a complete colour match and we will NEVER get a finish the same as what you have (which is 26 years of polishing, washing, sunshine beating down and freezing cold winters).
So until I find a painter who I feel confident with the scars will remain
JT

...........Image

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Has the interior had any work since you got it? It still looks very fresh.

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:01 pm

From what I know the car has had 1 back wing repainted by the previous owner due to a slight argument with a static object abd also 1 back quarter bumper at the same time, everything else is as it was 26 years ago including the interior
JT

...........Image

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Just been on your website, John, for the first time.

It's very touching to read the history of a loved car. I don't think I have ever had a car like that, they have all been 'throwaway' cars.

I hope you keep it for as long as you are able to look after it (and wipe your own ar*e) as this sort of treat doesn't happen in life very often.
No longer an 800 owner!

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks Brad, sad to say the P2 was probably a throw away car in it's day too, most cars except R.R. Aston etc are

Obviously it will be for sale sometime in the future but for now and the foreseeable future I do and will cherish it
JT

...........Image

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Not done anything underneath and I certainly have no desire to remove the oil which has gathered on the nether regions over the years as it certainly helps keep the tinworm at bay, so this is how the old girl looks

Bottoms up :shock:
JT

...........Image

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Is that a strobe light he has in his hand?
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia