As good as it gets

Moderators: guru, SJG

47p2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 47p2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:01 pm

That's Chris giving her an MOT

Here is some more competition.....I should quit now
JT

...........Image

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 pm

I have just been looking at your website John and like the car you obviously spent a great deal of time and effort, it is really very impressive.

One of my favourite books is about a chap that owned an old Jag, sells it buys it back and then restores it, i think it is called Genevieve. It is a lovely book and i guess it shows how easy it is to become so attached to an old lump of metal.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Simon Hubbard wrote: how easy it is to become so attached to an old lump of metal.
Exactly how Liz sees it :shock:

Glad you enjoyed the website Simon, it's nice to keep everything in the one place and let other enthusiasts enjoy it too
JT

...........Image

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:44 pm

It is a very interesting site. I have been reading it, bits at a time, for a little while. Like Tilly, it is meticulously presented
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks Brian, It took a while to get it all together but I am happy with the outcome, although I do keep adding more :shock:
JT

...........Image

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Labours of love :!: I shall keep viewing it, enjoying your P2, and smiling at your wife's reported comments. I must try and get to a show one day and meet Tilly in person :)
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:16 pm

It will be a bit of a hike for you Brian......

Finally finished the engine bay today and I must admit it is looking a heck of a lot better. The exhaust manifold paint which I've had for a while and used on Tilly before was a horrible light grey/silver colour so with a little black mixed into it, I think it's looking a lot smarter

The worst thing about this part is trying to keep it all looking like it was done 26 years ago, unless I wanted to redo the whole lot (which I don't). Black paint fades a lot so touching up small parts is extremely difficult

Will I crawl underneath and wipe her arse :shock: Watch this space :twisted:
JT

...........Image

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:18 pm

47p2 wrote:Will I crawl underneath and wipe her arse :shock: Watch this space :twisted:
Johnno would say that you could do it standing up!

Engine bay is looking good.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:36 am

Richard Moss wrote:
47p2 wrote:Johnno would say that you could do it standing up!
He also said you couldn't do it lying flat on your back!
JT

...........Image

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:21 am

erm...........anyway,

would the judges look underneath the car John?
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:52 am

47p2 wrote:
Richard Moss wrote:
47p2 wrote:Johnno would say that you could do it standing up!
He also said you couldn't do it lying flat on your back!
My response to that is far too rude for a public forum! I'm not even going to mention your line about "touching up small parts" :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:27 pm

Richard C wrote:erm...........anyway,

would the judges look underneath the car John?
Yes they do Richard.

I found when I was detailing the engine bay that if I looked at it I never saw the problem areas, so I took photos and from them I could easily identify the areas that were needing attention. I've just taken three pictures of underneath (a sort of what the judge will see view) and I may well have to crawl under and give it a rub over with a cloth

This is underneath the running boards, the sills which were Waxoyled before the SARR so they are fine

This is the view from the back which needs a clean up

and the front which could do with a rub over, so guess what is on the agenda tomorrow
JT

...........Image

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:19 pm

On the agenda tomorrow? Rubbing up Tilly's underside?
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:51 pm

As I said earlier it's easier to see the faults by looking at a photo and this is what I meant. I sprayed the petrol tank with some Waxoyl and took a picture, what I never saw until looking at the picture was the bottom edge of the boot lid was needing a clean & polish

Much better

Front end

and for any mechaphiles out there, no I don't stick dusters up my exhaust and yes it's dirty and shall stay dirty
JT

...........Image

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Amazing, really, just what you can see in a photo which you may miss from actually looking at the object in question. I'm sure your exhaust can stay dirty and not be a distraction, although Tilly's is a different matter. :wink:
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto