THREE-THOUSAND-FIVE...

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

THREE-THOUSAND-FIVE...

Post by Alex SBY » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 pm

After years of talking about getting one, this weekend I finally bit the bullet and have taken the plunge!

Yes, it is brown, and to me the ideal SD1!

I pick it up in a few weeks and cannot wait!

And before anyone says it, yes, I know.... :lol:
One or two 800s...

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 pm

It's definitely brown, no denying that. :lol:

As long as you like it.

I'd be the typical buyer TBH, I want a VP EFi or a Vitesse that's Moonraker blue or Targa red.

At least it will stand out.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 pm

Only the Allegro and the SD1 look right in that brown. Great buy, I reckon.

You'll enjoy every minute with this car, Alex. I've had several 3500's (first one in 1979) and sold my last one about two years ago. Just don't rely on it for long weekends away or driving further than a taxi ride home!!
No longer an 800 owner!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Well done Alex, very nice car!! I've had several SD1s, mostly V8 and only had reliability problems with the straight 6 engines but nothing that couldn't be fixed with emery cloth, 3 ft of 20mm steel conduit, 4 ft of 10mm threaded bar and some M10 nuts and washers.

One thing to watch out for which can cause starting/running problems on the V8 is where the electronic ignition bolts to the inner wing. This earth needs to be scrupulously clean and preferably have thermally conductive grease (heat sink compound) between the ignition unit and the metalwork. Don't forget to make sure all the breathers are clear, especially on the carbs as this will pay dividends at the filling station! Also the oil pressure should be no higher than 35psi, hot and running. Higher than this for a prolonged period and you start blowing oil seals and high oil pressure is usually caused by the afore-mentioned breathers being blocked. One other thing that helps with the economy and general good running is to use ATF in the carb dashpots, i used to get about 28mpg out of all of mine so i know it works!

Good luck with it, can't wait to see some better pics!!

Cheers,
Dave
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 am

This looks just like the first sd1 that my dad got when they first came out. It was the same colour brown and had a biege interior. The number plate was MPB 1P.

It was his demonstrator and so was sold on fairly quickly, it was bought by a local person - to Woking,who then bought a vitesse and transferred the number to the new car. Used to see the vitesse for quite some years after.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:46 am

Very Tall Brad wrote:Only the Allegro and the SD1 look right in that brown. Great buy, I reckon.

!
I am not normally a fan of brown but as you say it suits this car.I belive the colour is Brazillia brown and as far as i am aware it was only available on the Rover SD1? The brown used on BL cars 1977 approx-1981 approx was Russet brown and i thought was quite a pleasing brown. I recall viewing a Maxi in this colour and was one that got away having just sold before we arrived. it was popular on the whole bl range in particular Allegro ,MGB and Marina among others but they looked good with the green tinted sundym glass. I also recall a Marina HL estate (quite rare even when new) and it looked really nice with a deep shine.

Nice car Alex pleased you found what you are looking for.
Glyn
Image Image

The Flying Dutchman
Rover Guru

Post by The Flying Dutchman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:54 am

When you enjoy it as much as I did mine (from 80K to 356K Km's) You'll be fine. 8)
Job.

'73 P5B Sal.
'94 220 Coupe
'96 220 Coupe
'95 827 Coupe
'97 820Si
'99 600SDi Classic
'69 Herald 12/50

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Good for you Alex I like SD1's..............alot 8)
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks chaps!

The intention is to pick up this car in a few weeks. It will be going straight to a friend of mine's garage who is an SD1 enthusiast for a general check over and recommissioning so I know it is as good as it can possibly be.

I cannot wait to drive it! :D
One or two 800s...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Alex Sterling wrote:Thanks chaps!

The intention is to pick up this car in a few weeks. It will be going straight to a friend of mine's garage who is an SD1 enthusiast for a general check over and recommissioning so I know it is as good as it can possibly be.

I cannot wait to drive it! :D
They can be a little tail happy, especially in the wet! Lost count of the number of times i had my big dog wagging it's tail, lol!! In other words, take it easy in the wet until you're used to what it does, but i'm sure you don't need telling that really!!
Must admit i'd love another one, trouble is on my budget i'd only get one that would be a rust bucket unless i was really lucky!

Cheers,
Dave
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!