Joint Rover Clubs

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Joint Rover Clubs

Post by tonewheeldude » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Over the years I have owned all sorts of classic cars, the most satisfying to own have been those with a good club behind them - not because I am a clubby sort of person, but I do enjoy going to shows and taking my cars - all of them far from concourse. I have owned my current 825 diesel coupe for just over a year and its been a disapointing and lonely one from a show point of view! I went to Gaydon last year for the BMC day which was great - however no one from here went for one reason or another so this year I did not bother going. The only event that seems to be on the (now dead) calendar is Peterborough, but we are on holiday this year. Last year, I could not help but notice the lack of interest in the cars except among ourselves, maybe this was the location of our 'stand' or just because of the type of show, which was aimed at car owners rather than visitors. It was good to meet some of you there however.

Quite honestly if we as owners want our cars to see another decade something has to be done. The 800s are largely overlooked and the 75/ZT (rover 600 replacement) is the accepted 'flagship' by most people simply out of ignorance.

For a start, what if rover800.info worked with the 'Joint Rover Clubs' website.
http://jointroverclubs.org.uk/startpage.html

At least if we are on the Joint Rover Clubs site there is a choice for some of us to go and sit alongside other Rovers rather than perched between a Mondeo and an Punto in the visitors car park.

The forum is invaluable and I continue to be glad of peoples advice here. I also understand nobody here want the responsibility of running an owners club. But there must be something we can do to generate more interest in our cars.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Joint Rover Clubs

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Wouldn't we need to be a "club" to be part of "joint clubs"?
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:43 pm

i guess you didn't actually read my post then. Never mind.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:39 pm

If anyone wants to join a club then I would suggest the Rover Sports Register - there's a number of 800 owners there alredy.

There has been talk of forming an 800 owners club but although there has been some support for the idea, apathy always overtakes us
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:21 am

That has been the problem, we have only ever had some support, as Richard says the RSR is a good club. And the membership fee is covered in the discounts you can get it you take out classic car insurance.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoubix16
Regular Visitor

Post by scoubix16 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:08 am

The idea behind creating a dedicated 800 club amounts to this : is there enough long-term interest in those cars and a large-enough number of owners willing to participate in such a club?
I'm a member of two 75 owners club (the official Owners Club and the more recent Enthusiasts club). Both attract members from all over Europe even though the membership base is quite understandbly largely UK-based. One has a subscription-based membership, the other one (the Enthusiasts) accepts donations on a voluntary basis. So both mechanisms work.
I agree with the OP's views that an official club opens more doors (not a guarantee though). For instance, in the last 2 years of my membership with those 75 clubs, I've attended Pride Of Longbridge twice and parked within the clubs areas, attended events organised by each during those weekends (15th launch anniversary for the 75 at Gaydon last year, event à Studley Castle with Richard Woolley and Ian Pogson as guests, visit to XPart headquarters...
Both clubs also participated in the NEC classic show last year (though this year brought new regulations which might compromise it...)

Anyway, a club is always welcome me thinks. But running it requires a lot of energy and dedication that hardly comes recognized, especially when its members are few. Speaking of experience as I'm one of the VPs for the French Rover club...
'93 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
'99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
'04 MG ZT-T 260 SE (V8) - Ex-Longbridge 75 V8 Tourer development car - LHD

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:22 pm

I dont need to tell you guys, the 800 is by far the best car I have ever owned - and the most special. I have a rally prepared 1962 Sunbeam Rapier IIIa with FIA paperwork and masses of history and photos documenting its rally history. However given the choice of parting with the Rapier or my Diesel coupe...there is no contest... bye bye Rapier.

My fear is in another 5 years 800s will be rarer than my Sunbeam. Without a decent owners club 800s dont get enough public exposure. And as a classic car owner I enjoy having a good owners clubs and the ability to take my cars too shows with the club. Since owning this particular 800 (just over a year) I have only seen one other model on the road - a BRG saloon owned by a local gent - and I only saw it the once. Not enough people are aware of the cars or what they are.

I dont mean to sound ungrateful, the 800.info group is invaluable because we all know our cars so well and have built up a very in depth knowledge through experience. But long term its just not enough to ensure these amazing Rover Flagships survive another decade. So my suggestion was not that 800.info becomes a registered owners club (I know that means more work than anyone here is prepared to take on), but that it does attempt to work alongside the cooperative of Rover Clubs...if they accept us that is. What is the harm in asking?

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:08 pm

I understand entirely what you are saying but we cannot seem to agree on anything when it comes to a club and that is why we are in this situation. Looking at the link you provided might be a way forward for us.
Simon

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:50 am

It does seem a bit like everyone else is there but this site.

I would say it's possibly the only way forward?

Some of us have put a lot of effort in here over the years, some still do of course. :)

Though in a lot of cases as Rich said earlier it never comes to anything. Meets were especially bad for this though we did have some successful ones.

We've long known that 800s are dying out. Personally I don't see that changing, bordering on too late now IMO. Though I hope I'm wrong for those in the future.

Not that my opinion really matters much with not owning any 800s now I think it's something that should seriously be considered?

What's actually involved in joining up?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:48 am

Just to stick my two penn'eth in, firstly there is a little reminder to the powers that be that notifications still aren't working on here and that tends to disillusion people from posting and hence participation in any "club" (or forum if you prefer) events and general participation in ensuring the 800 is given the recognition it deserves.

Over the years i have owned P6s (well one but had two others in my family), SD1s (5 V8s, 2 straight 6s), two Mk1 800s, three Mk2 800s (including the 2 i still own), 2 600s, a 420GSi, 416SLi, 218 SLDt (horrible Peugeot-Citroen engine/box in a Honda body with a right mish-mash from the general parts bin) and several Honda models that had Rover equivalents. I've not owned a 75 and as it stands at present never intend to as i find they have gone backwards instead of forwards. It is a nice looking car but isn't a "proper" Rover IMHO opinion. I know they have their following but there is too much influence from Bavaria for my liking.

Out of all of that lot and the plethora of other cars i've owned (over 235 at last count some years back), the 800s have been the best cars i've ever owned, most comfortable, reliable and long lasting than anything else i've ever had. This includes other Rovers and in my book that makes the 800 the "Ultimate Rover Flagship" - nothing else comes close.

If getting them better known and ensuring their longevity means joining forces with other Rover-based clubs then so be it.
Perhaps we shoudl run a poll on it?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:43 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Perhaps we shoudl run a poll on it?
Agreed
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 am

rovercoup wrote:
Agreed
That is where I disagree, polls have been carried out in years gone by and we end up agreeing nothing.

Richard, as the site owner should just say we do it, or we don't
Simon

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:02 am

Simon Hubbard wrote:
rovercoup wrote:
Agreed
That is where I disagree, polls have been carried out in years gone by and we end up agreeing nothing.

Richard, as the site owner should just say we do it, or we don't
I not sure about that, Simon. With absolute respect to Richard and all the admin on this site, Clubs are democracies (well they should be at least) and forums are (usually) autocracies. Whilst it has been the hard work of the owner and admins of this site that has made it a success they do not speak for or represent all 800 owners. There are plenty of 800 owners and enthusiasts out there who do not participate on this forum for many reasons.

I think a poll is a good idea. I have very mixed feelings about an official club though. I certainly agree that the 800 desperately needs wider recognition and the concensus seems that a club is the best way of achieving this. But if one is started, I am not sure if I would support it long term as it may not support my interests for the 800. The joy of an open forum with minimal moderation is everyone gets a say. The concours restorer, the bangernomics guy, the parts hoader, the bonkers engine tuner, etc. They get disagreed with and shouted down, but they all get access to the shared knowledge and will never (hopefully) be told there is no place for them in the 800 community. Owners clubs don't tend to offer this and tend to support a very blinkered view of what ownership should be.

To conclude, I sort-of hope a club is formed to further the recognition of the 800 as a fine modern classic, I hope it is a success and I would certainly join in the first years. But if its existence means the eventual death of this forum as we know it, that would be a tragedy as it serves all owners of 800s better than any club ever could.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:25 am

And this is the reason I made the point Tom, we have been through this several times before and are not any further forward. So if you want a club, perhaps join the RSR or just stay on the forum. Caters for all needs then.
Simon

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:24 pm

rovercoup wrote:
Agreed
Agreed
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.