Lancaster Insurance NEC Classic Motorshow 2016

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Lancaster Insurance NEC Classic Motorshow 2016

Post by dollysprint » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:42 pm

So yes, Dave (dollysprint) it would be beneficial for both concerns to have greater co-operation and communication between the two. It would be good to see the goings on, on Facebook translated more to the forum, for the benefit of those who don't always use Facebook or have their reasons for not using Facebook.

My last point is ultimately, whether club or forum, I think we as 800 owners should agree about the prosperity of the cars themselves and their continued existence to be importantly above any individual Clubs or Forums.
Charles, sorry I have been away since friday and have just returned home.
Your point about Facebook has been raised and it is now well understood that not everyone uses that medium, hence the need for a liaison to post future events and possible ways forward for the 800 marque to achieve the status it deserves.
Facebook is an excellent way to chat in relatively real time,both the Forum and the Club have Facebook pages, but as a searchable archive it is completely useless. That makes 800.info invaluable to present and future owners of the 800 series. The 800 Club however is the way to raise the profile of the cars to the general classic car public and hopefully future owners. The larger the profile then the more cars will be saved from the crusher, the more people will view 800 as a car worth restoring or at least passing on to someone who will restore it.
Your last point is ,I think, one we all agree on.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:49 pm

dollysprint wrote:
So yes, Dave (dollysprint) it would be beneficial for both concerns to have greater co-operation and communication between the two. It would be good to see the goings on, on Facebook translated more to the forum, for the benefit of those who don't always use Facebook or have their reasons for not using Facebook.

My last point is ultimately, whether club or forum, I think we as 800 owners should agree about the prosperity of the cars themselves and their continued existence to be importantly above any individual Clubs or Forums.
Charles, sorry I have been away since friday and have just returned home.
Your point about Facebook has been raised and it is now well understood that not everyone uses that medium, hence the need for a liaison to post future events and possible ways forward for the 800 marque to achieve the status it deserves.
Facebook is an excellent way to chat in relatively real time,both the Forum and the Club have Facebook pages, but as a searchable archive it is completely useless. That makes 800.info invaluable to present and future owners of the 800 series. The 800 Club however is the way to raise the profile of the cars to the general classic car public and hopefully future owners. The larger the profile then the more cars will be saved from the crusher, the more people will view 800 as a car worth restoring or at least passing on to someone who will restore it.
Your last point is ,I think, one we all agree on.

Dave
Thanks for getting back Dave and I appreciate your response. I may have sounded slightly contradictory in my last point about Forums/Clubs. Of course, I think any club is important for the 800 and the work the new 800 Club members have done looks promising so far, particularly at promoting the 800 as a recognised classic for current and future concern. No doubt the 30th Anniversary Celebrations the Club have been involved in and worked hard towards have boosted this image for the 800.

An idea occurred to me, (which may for some divide opinion) is getting a celebrity involved and endorse the 800 Club and Forum, and one person in particular I feel a good bet would be Steve Coogan (aka I'm Alan Partridge).
I never watched the TV programme but no doubt the actor is recognizable to many in Britain along with the 800 saloon, which he was famous for driving in the TV series. He could probably bring alot of publicity for the car and club and wider appeal to people of owning as a cult classic.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:40 pm

Like your idea on the celeb Charles but dont think Alan Partridge did the brand/marque any favours really.

Its a bit like giving Mr Bean a Ferrari, street cred going downhill faster than a Enzo can do 0-60
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:49 pm

That's what I thought to some extent.

John Nettles, (DCI Barnaby; Midsummer Murders) was a fan himself of the 800/75. There maybe other celebs as well. I suppose it might depend on which persons want a profiled role promoting the 800.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:31 am

Charles827si wrote:That's what I thought to some extent.

John Nettles, (DCI Barnaby; Midsummer Murders) was a fan himself of the 800/75. There maybe other celebs as well. I suppose it might depend on which persons want a profiled role promoting the 800.
If memory serves correctly John Nettles was also the title role of Bergerac and drove what i think was an MG-TF - the original, not the late 90s version in the series.
By association that would make him a great "ambassador" (every pun intended! :lol: ) for the Rover/MG-Rover brand as i'm sure he had an 800 and later a 75 in Midsummer Massacres (for such a small village a hell of a lot of people die there!).

Another possibility would be Graham Cole aka PC Stamp from "The Bill", especially if Kate would bring her car to an event he was attending. As far as i know, Kates Police 827 was not only the last in active service with the Met but when it was sold it went to the production company that either made or supplied cars to The Bill so it would have a lot of traceability.

There was another min-series on some time back where there was a car crash one day - the series showed how it happened from the point of view of the different people involved, can't remember the name of it now though. One of the cars in that was a gold 820 Si (may have been an i or SLi, not sure) so if anybody can remember the series, know who was in it, whether it might be approaching them etc.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:50 am

Any promotional ideas will be gratefully accepted.
My thoughts would be when it comes to celebrities they want appearance fees plus their expenses paid, don't blame them for that, their face and name is their living at the end of the day, but it's beyond the scope of the Club to fund that. Of course it doesn't have to be a famous actor, I remember back in my Triumph days we had Harris Mann(designer) turn up at a TR event in Didcot to talk about designing the TR7.
Unfortunately with 800 most of those involved in its birth are no longer with us.
Do remember ( I think) one of the Triumph Clubs using a picture of John Nettles standing next to the Bergerac 1948 Triumph Roadster in its club magazine. Of course all these things are subject to copyright and I don't know what permission had to be sort at the time, and it didn't actually involve any further work for Mr Nettles.
The best promotional film we have is the Tony Pond lap of the Isle of Man
Would be brilliant to have a poster with Jeremy Clarkson stood next to an 800 Coupe with the caption " In reality then, these were really rather good" He did say something along those lines during his 1992 test drive of the Coupe for the then Top Gear, so it wouldn't be untrue............................................... and on that bombshell, Goodnight.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:17 am

dollysprint wrote:I remember back in my Triumph days we had Harris Mann(designer) turn up at a TR event in Didcot to talk about designing the TR7.
Unfortunately with 800 most of those involved in its birth are no longer with us.
I think Harold Musgrove is still alive, but well into his 80s. Richard Wooley - who was involved with the facelift to R17 and much of the work on the coupe is now with JLR.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 am

dollysprint wrote:Any promotional ideas will be gratefully accepted.

Would be brilliant to have a poster with Jeremy Clarkson stood next to an 800 Coupe with the caption " In reality then, these were really rather good" He did say something along those lines during his 1992 test drive of the Coupe for the then Top Gear, so it wouldn't be untrue............................................... and on that bombshell, Goodnight.

Dave
That would be the icing on the cake - Clarkson eating his own words! :lol:

Going off at a slight tangent (and apologies for getting the Bergerac car wrong!), although i don't know if he's owned one, i believe Stephen Fry is a bit of a petrol-head and often gets involved with classic car clubs/organisations for free. I could of course be wrong and it's just an idea but may be worth exploring?
In the series "Kingdom" he drove an Alvis TE21, i've heard rumours he actually owns this but with no corroboration but if they are true then it confirms his interest in classics.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:09 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
dollysprint wrote:Any promotional ideas will be gratefully accepted.

Dave
That would be the icing on the cake - Clarkson eating his own words! :lol:

Going off at a slight tangent (and apologies for getting the Bergerac car wrong!), although i don't know if he's owned one, i believe Stephen Fry is a bit of a petrol-head and often gets involved with classic car clubs/organisations for free. I could of course be wrong and it's just an idea but may be worth exploring?
In the series "Kingdom" he drove an Alvis TE21, i've heard rumours he actually owns this but with no corroboration but if they are true then it confirms his interest in classics.
No disrespect to Stephen Fry, but notable influential and personal topics he has commented on have at times been controversial, and in my thinking he is as much as a lose cannon in the arena as Jeremy Clarkson can undoubtedly be most of the time.

As Dave (dollysprint) has noted, a celebrity may wish to have expenses paid as well, but what I was thinking more was just for them to allow a picture of themselves in a club/forum newsletter/leaflet with a brief endorsement of both, and that would be cheaper for the 800 Club to incorporate as appose to reimbursing for their special attendance at shows. (though if they would be prepared to meet with the club/forum at a show then that's really ace!)
Things like that are for the club to mull over, and as I'm currently a non club member; can only make suggestions in the interest of the car based on the openness of the club to suggestions/opinion/feedback.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:18 pm

That's fair comment on Stephen Fry, he can be errr.............shall we say outspoken? :lol:

I was just trying to think of a likely celeb that might be amenable to turning up for free if the chance of a free wander round a field full of classics was on offer.
As you both say though, a photo would be cheaper (certainly in the hospitality tent!) and would probably lend as much kudos as any other method of doing it.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:44 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:That's fair comment on Stephen Fry, he can be errr.............shall we say outspoken? :lol:

I was just trying to think of a likely celeb that might be amenable to turning up for free if the chance of a free wander round a field full of classics was on offer.
As you both say though, a photo would be cheaper (certainly in the hospitality tent!) and would probably lend as much kudos as any other method of doing it.
I didn't know Stephen Fry offered those services for free; that's nice of him to do that and not many would.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage