BMC Rally pictures

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

BMC Rally pictures

Post by TDHFastback » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Well we had a fab (slightly windy) day today at the BMC. Due to being off late from work last night I didn't get a chance to clean the SE so was up at 5am this morning to get it ready.
Filling up with petrol and sweeties

Upon arriving at 9am our area was deserted with tumble weed blowing across past a gun shot filled sign proclaiming "Rover 800 Owners club abandon hope all ye who enter here" We got a couple of chairs out then the cavalry arrived in the shape of Sean,Dave,Jon and Mike. After laagering the wagons into a defensive perimeter we had a brew and watch tenetetively as we were surrounded by the Triumph, Maxi and Allegro tribes.

Supplies were plentiful and rationing was not needed. Jon supplying Quiche,Pizza,salad,home grown tomatos and pork pies whilst Sean brought in the heavy artillary in the shape of Dr snorkwurters Chili dogs. Phew :oops:

Thankfully John provided his engine to eat our dinner off

An lone trader was brought into the defensive perimeter after recieving a malling at the hands of 3 metros and an Ital estate.

(I do like white 800s) ed
We sent out our MFP stealth bomber interceptor on a recon mission
(I am the night rider, can you see me toe cutter. Its the bronze they steal our pride etc etc)

While two sentries guard the gate in a Sterling fashion

The north ramparts (a gretuitous 820SE shot sorry)

Our heavy turbo brigade maintain a sutained volly at the A35 scones and knitting tribe spreading jam on the left flank

Near the end as the dust was settling a straggler came in from them there hills for some light relief and a club biscuit

Eddies Vitesse.

Rain stopped play at 1530hrs and we all made a dash for home with no casualties.

A cracking day.

Kate :D

Now all that drivel is finished I would like to say a big thank you for all who made the day possible. Thank you John W for organising it(you were missed). We had a good spot and a total of 8 800s on the stand. With lots of interest myself and Susie didn't get much time to look around though we did see the Triumph Dolomite stand (cars she had several of and loves very much) and the Marina owners club (I know but I just like them okay). Next year i will hopefully be able to camp and spend more time looking around. A great day. Nice to meet you all and be able to put names to faces. Oooh and Jon in future can you give everyone three months notice before you turn up at a show to give us time to clean our cars :lol: :lol:
It is a real credit to you.
Dave it was super travelling back seeing a Sterling behind me and a Sterling in front. Not often that happens
Kate :D :D

cambkite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by cambkite » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:13 am

Bit embarrassing that. There will be an improvement next time you see it.
It has been a while since I have posted a photo on this type of forum, could somebody jog my memory please. I have a handful from the rally to post if that's ok.
Nice to meet you and I'm sure I will again in the not too distant future.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 am

From the (appropriately named) "Frequently Asked Questions" section of the forum:

[How to Post Photographs]
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Great pictures Kate, good job someone made the effort, I managed two :oops: really must try harder. Like the descriptions very fitting :lol:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Great photos there Kate and a terrific write up! Glad i'm not the only one who thought Mikes coupe resembled a Stealth bomber with wheels! Was good fun having our little convoy down the A1(M)/A14 until i turned off at Fenstanton to head for the deserted waste-lands of home and yet more tumbleweed (it rolls down Main Street with alarming regularity!) but we did get several looks from people on the A1 who were about to overtake me then slowed for a double-take of a trio of 800s!

As one of the grand total of 3 (three!!!) campers, here's a few of my thoughts and pics :

Arriving at 4pm or thereabouts, i was a bit late! Shaun and Mike were already there but i had been delayed firstly by my neighbour (he was looking after my dog overnight but had to take his to the vet for treatment to an ear infection and was a tad late) then secondly by filling up with fuel - for some odd reason my card wouldn't work in the filling station! They had new POS machines and i've had that trouble before with this card when they've had new machines fitted!
Anyway, back to the important stuff!!! Luckily we had swapped numbers before leaving so i phoned Shaun to let him know i was there and he and Mike hung back until i managed to find my way through the long queue to get in to the camping area! So when we entered we also had a mini convoy of a Fastback, a coupe and a saloon. Felt a bit on the tall side as mine was the only one not lowered but with the amount of pot-holes/speed-humps etc round my neck of the woods, i'd rip the bottom out of the car inside a week if i lowered it!

After finding a suitable spot to camp and having a chat, we got the tents etc set up.

My little tent showing just how huge Micks tent was!

Shauns tent somehow managed to make mine look big!

Mikes tent aka Food Central! Many thanks again for being head chef Mick!

Just to get things in perspective, here's a longer shot of Camp 800 :

As i live not too far from the site and the weather had been so warm overnight i thought i would be fine in the tent without a duvet - how wrong i was! Sods Law being what it is, the cloud cleared on Saturday night letting the temperature drop like a stone! Froze my bits off and didn't sleep too well but hey, it's all part of the fun! Next year i'm definitely bringing a duvet and maybe even a heater too!!

There was plenty of wildlife around, including some tame rabbits :

That rabbit had just been fed by one of the other campers! It had seen them coming and jumped up, then when they called it with the food in their hands, it hopped over!

Sometime through the night i heard something outside my tent then felt something soft flop down next to my head! Next morning there was a large-washing-up-bowl sized patch of flattened grass so i think it was a big rabbit or maybe even a small deer - helped warm me up so i didn't complain!

Got some more shots of the day itself, i'll add these to Kates "Pic Heavy Peterborough" thread : http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7694

Kate - can you PM your Paypal address so i can send you the money for my polo shirt please? Asked Susie several times through the afternoon but every time i did someone came along and interrupted so it was forgotten by the end of the day!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:21 pm

That looks a great day out :D
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:52 pm

It was! Great weekend for me as i camped there. You should come to the next one!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm

I would have come this year but it clashed with the annual family holiday, so yes maybe next year :D
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:56 pm

It seems to land at an awkward time as it is in the middle of the 6 weeks school holiday when most families will be making their homage to the sun baked beaches of Benidorm, Tenerife, Ibiza and such like.

I'm guessing there's several like you that couldn't make it for that reason. I know of at least one other that was heading to Wales on the sunday morning, think he said it was for a holiday.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Russell820i
Rover Guru

Post by Russell820i » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:13 pm

This looked like a cracking day and the cars are just delicious! :-)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:47 pm

In case i missed you on the intro board, welcome Russell!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Russell820i
Rover Guru

Post by Russell820i » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:50 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:In case i missed you on the intro board, welcome Russell!
Cheers Dave, very much appreciated :-) Cant think of any better place to be :-)