New 827 Sterling Anyone?

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lord Sward
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New 827 Sterling Anyone?

Post by Lord Sward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Well, not quite new, but as good as you're going to get. Salty pricing though.

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/clas ... -2011.aspx

Incidently, I was offered the RR Silver Spirit the other week. Its a good 'un, but has doubled in price since I was offered it.........

Lord Sward
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lord Sward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:04 pm

I'm sorry if this is a double post, this Sterling was on ebay some weeks ago considerable cheaper than the reserve is now showing.

I'm sorely tempted myself as I desperately need a Fastback or estate for the winter.

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:13 pm

That is a beautiful example. The price is dear, but then again this car is pretty unique.

I'd get it myself, but it would only be a barn ornament. TBH this deserves preservation.

That Mk2 Granada estate ticks the right boxes for me too...
One or two 800s...

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:27 pm

Lord Sward wrote:I'm sorry if this is a double post, this Sterling was on ebay some weeks ago considerable cheaper than the reserve is now showing.

I'm sorely tempted myself as I desperately need a Fastback or estate for the winter.
And who told you that?
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

Lord Sward
Regular Visitor

Post by Lord Sward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Benny!!! You've come back!!!

I'd have it, but its not worth more than a grand. Including the 'out'.

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:30 pm

It's definitely worth more than a grand IMO. One of the nicest colour combinations too, though not all will agree with that ;)
One or two 800s...

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 pm

I can't go anywhere, what would you pass off as your info if I wasn't around :lol:
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

Lord Sward
Regular Visitor

Post by Lord Sward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:33 pm

I'd use it to transport a dirty, but very pretty durg, so for me, its not worth more than a grand. Low mileage is not to be overrated.

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:35 pm

It'll need a thorough service/recommission/cambelt that is for sure...

My 827Si XX would have sorted you, but alas that has sold.
One or two 800s...

Lord Sward
Regular Visitor

Post by Lord Sward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:39 pm

It didn't have air-con though Alex. :?

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Indeed it didn't, but I could have always fitted a climate panel...
One or two 800s...

Lord Sward
Regular Visitor

Post by Lord Sward » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:45 pm

But would it illuminate?

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:45 pm

What year old (in mileage at least) executive car could you get for that kind of money, pure class and a 25K saving over any Beemer or Audi with the same yardage on the clock. All I can see is very slight dash lift and not a sraped bumper in sight. "Simply stunning" comes to mind.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 pm

Lord Sward wrote:But would it illuminate?
I'd make it so ;)
One or two 800s...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:48 am

Those that know me know i'm not keen on hatchbacks of any description but i would probably kill to get hold of that one!

As for the colour combo that some have said nice or not nice too, IMHO it is the best - not that i'm biased or anything :

Besides a gratuitous opportunity to sneak a pic of mine in there, could someone tell me if my eyes are deceiving me? Looks like the Fastback up for auction does not have moo-cow seats? Part of the reason i snuck a pic of mine in is for comparison as mine does have leather and i was under the impression it was standard issue on the Sterling? Perhaps cloth was a "no-cost" option in a similar way that a manual gearbox may have been instead of an auto on some cars.

Alex - that Granada estate looks the business too. Red Velvet always looks good on them but if the lacquer ever goes, so does the colour. It has the front bib from the injected version too, perhaps a retro-fit or maybe it is an injection - shame there's no underbonnet pic. There is another estate there that should go fairly cheap and would be cheap on tax (£130/year ish) too but i suspect street cred may take a back seat - the Lada Riva 1500. Looks to be in nice condition as well and having seen them on the banger track many years ago, i can confirm they are a thinly disguised Russian tank in terms of being solid! Doubt you'll get great economy from it though, even if it has a 5 speed box as the engine is the old Fiat design from yonks ago - reliable enough as long as it's serviced properly though.

If it wasn't for A) lack of funds and B) the manual box i'd have a punt on it for taking the hound out and other such estate type tasks.

Come to think of it, if i get a lottery win, i'll be making my way to Kings Lynn to have a few bids. If i don't get a win, i might go just to see it as it's not too far from me.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!