NEC International Classic Motorshow '12 - We've got a stand!

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

NEC International Classic Motorshow '12 - We've got a stand!

Post by Alex SBY » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 pm

No, I've not got my dates wrong, nor is it a typo. This is not a thread to do a resume of the NEC show this year, but an idea.

This year, at said show, 800s were conspicuous by their absence. There were (from what I could see) no 800s on display. Contrast that to R8s, 75s and most other Rover cars.

This got me thinking. A forum stand at the NEC for 2012. It would take a bit of work, there would be some cost (not huge but not inconsiderable), and of course, a successful application to the NEC organisers for a stand.

I've long held the opinion that the NEC show is one of the most important places to get your organisation/club/forum 'on the map' in the wider classic car community and this year has done nothing to dissuade me.

I'm therefore proposing/suggesting that we look to organise a stand for next year. I've organised stands at the NEC before (for the Princess club that I used to be Events co-ordinator for). I'd be happy to take the lead to do this for the forum.

Would there be interest? What do you think?
Last edited by Alex SBY on Mon May 21, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One or two 800s...

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Richard C » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Sounds good to me :D
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Come up with some costings Alex, sounds good to me though

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:41 pm

I'd be interested subject to cost/dates/location Alex. I'm guessing it's the NEC in Birmingham?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:45 pm

The main expenditure for NEC stands is two-fold:

1) Display equipment; carpet tiles/carpeting; display boards etc.
2) Electricity. Daft as this sounds, the organisers charge about £200 for an electric hook-up for the show.

The stand space itself is essentially free. From experience, once you have made an outlay on display gear (carpet tiles - much better than rolled up carpet IMO, and boards) which can be re-used all you generally need to worry about is the cost of the electrics.

IMO, electrics are vital so you can have lighting inside the cars (essential in the gloomy lights of the NEC), and also some information screens rolling on-stand.

You can do without both, but frankly a) it will look lame, and b) you'll never get an invite back.

Stand equipment can be sourced cheaply generally. And with a year to go to the show next year, if there are cost concerns there are ways it can be budgeted for.

I'd be happy to contribute wherever necessary. The NEC is SOOOO important IMO to get the cars/'scene' recognised. Put it this way, back in 2004, on day 1 of the NEC show when the Princess club debuted a stand, we ended up getting featured on Central News.

It is just the best way to get recognition, and I'd love to get us a stand. :)
One or two 800s...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:05 pm

Couple more questions Alex - how long is the show? is it 1 day, 2, 3 or what? What about accommodation? Don't mind camping at the start of August for the BMC day but no way am i camping at this time of year!
Third, if the cars are there for more than one day, how safe are they overnight?

Probably got a bucket load more questions but can't think of them just now! Oh yeah, is it Birmingham?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:09 pm

The show usually covers three days, Friday to Sunday. You have to however get there on the Thursday ("build up day") to set things up.

Once inside the halls, the cars are as safe as houses really (but keep em locked when you are not there).

Accommodation nearby (as in at the NEC) is 'bend over and lube' expensive. Frankly ridiculously dear. Get a bit further away and things get more sensible. Though worse case, if you can't manage taking the entire show-time off, you can skip days. The cars have to remain in the hall for the duration....

Yeah, it is Birmingham. Bostin, yaw... :)
One or two 800s...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:38 pm

Taking time off isn't a problem as i'm not able to work at the moment.

From what you say about the accommodation it sounds like we'd be best off clubbing together and approaching a suburban B&B and asking what sort of rates they would do for several of us staying the night for 3 nights (Thu, Fri and Sat). At that time of year they're less likely to be fully booked so may be open to negotiation. Then all we need is a minibus to ferry us to and from lol!

I daresay food would also be "BOAL" expensive at the NEC too. Not sure about Brum but i know in London if you find the side streets near attractions you can find sandwich shops, takeaways etc at very cheap prices. For example there's one behind the Science museum tucked down a side street that does sarnies for about £1.50 (well they did 8 years ago lol) whereas the eateries in the more obvious places were charging upwards of a fiver a go for a sarnie!

Again, maybe we could do some sort of "club together" thing on the food. No jokes about "Club" sandwiches :twisted:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:16 am

Count me in!
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:45 am

Get on to them about it now if you want to have any chance of exhibiting in 2012.

When I was there with my mk1 a couple of years back on the RSR stand I tried to get in touch with the organisers about an 800 club stand and they didn't even bother to get back to me. Be prepared to chase them up again and again and again............

I agree that the 800 should be there but whether or not you'll get the organisers to agree is another issue. Personally I think that the NEC is a dreadful venue - gloomy, depressing, soul-less. Pretty much on a par with Gaydon, I reckon (although that's better lit).
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:30 am

Yes, applications need making now really. When I applied for the Princess Club stands I used to go to the organisers office on the first day of the show itself to apply in person for the next year. It usually worked.

Once you get a stand you are home and dry for other years (providing you put on a good display). The tough bit is getting one to start with.

If everyone is OK with this I'll start putting the wheels in motion. I will also see if I can get some to put in a good word for us to get a stand.

Leave it with me! :)
One or two 800s...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:33 am

Go for it. I won't be able to help - unless you need a letter from the "Rover 800 Owners Club"
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:06 am

Cheers Rich.

I was going to apply with the name "Rover 800 Owners Club" (given our regalia etc). If I can I will also see if I can ask some contacts who might be able to support our application...
One or two 800s...

streetwise
Regular Visitor

Post by streetwise » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:41 pm

If you need more people to the event, count me in!

Perhaps, Henrik, Manalishi could be persuaded to join up!

Regards
Anders

Rover P6 2200 TC 1974
Rover 820 Turbo Coupe 1993
Rover 75 Tourer 2003

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Re: NEC International Classic Motorshow 2012

Post by Alex SBY » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm

Bit of a 'necropost' this, but just to advise that I'm in contact with the organisers of this. I'm waiting to hear back and will keep you all informed.

Alex.
One or two 800s...