New test forum with updated software.

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Locked [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Richard Moss
Site Owner

New test forum with updated software.

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:33 am

Ladies and gentlemen, James (guru) has very kindly been working on improving the forum software to give it a fresh look, more usability and (most importantly) better security and spam-resistance.

I won't say much more as I think it best to let James give you the details of the test forum and your opportunity to give feedback.

Watch this space........
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 am

Yes, it's true, we're in the final stages of testing the new forum and need your help!

The forum is currently based on out of date software and needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into 2012! The current software has some issues the biggest one of which is allowing 'spam' user accounts to be created. These accounts never go live because the mod team reject them however having to sift through 50-100 accounts a day causes them a massive work load and also means that some genuine registrations get rejected because they look like spam. The new forum addresses this by introducing a more robust 'captcha' to tell the genuine accounts from the spam ones.

Now to the part where we need your help! The new forum is a very substantial upgrade from the old one so we need people to have a look and test it for us before we make it live as once this happens there is no going back. To do this I have made an upgraded copy of the forum available at http://rover800.kingdomsystems.co.uk/phpBB3/. We're looking for reports on any bugs or problems using the forum as well as feedback on the new look and feel. Please note, on the test forum only people who have been active here in the last 3 months will be able to log in however everyone else can browse as a guest.

One important thing to note is that the test forum is in no way linked to the live one, any posts and changes you make will be lost when the actual upgrade takes place! This does mean however you can create new posts, edit old ones and generally have a play safe in the knowledge that any thing you change will be wiped out when we upgrade. Could the mods in particular have a play and make sure they can do everything they need to.

I have created a thread for feedback here

I have also created a replacement home page based on Wordpress. This is integrated into the forum so you only have to log on once however at the moment it's in a very early stage of development, nevertheless please feel free to take a look at http://rover800.kingdomsystems.co.uk and let me know what you think.
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable