New forum development feedback thread

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

neo
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by neo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm

looks good very 21st century :D job well done
tony

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:50 pm

I like the look but I'm familiar with PhPbb from Autoshite which uses it. My system doesn't process the pages as quickly as it currently does but that isn't a problem really. The point is we can't laeve things as labour intensive for the Mods as they currently are so we've got to upgrade.
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dollysprint » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm

No technical input from me as I know buggerall about nowt when it comes to all this, but looks good and thanks for the time, effort and headache of making the site better protected from idiots. Oh and can we have a thumbs up emoticon :D

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:07 pm

Dajazar wrote:I like the look but I'm familiar with PhPbb from Autoshite which uses it. My system doesn't process the pages as quickly as it currently does but that isn't a problem really. The point is we can't laeve things as labour intensive for the Mods as they currently are so we've got to upgrade.
We do, we really do. :lol:

It's a pain. God knows how many users we've seen in the last few years.

But the flip side is that we haven't had the same trouble we had on the old forum of dodgy posts all over the place. So it has worked. Unfortunately now and again we get carried away and a few genuine people get chopped as well.

So it will be better all round hopefully.

James - Is it possible for us to look at having tapatalk within the code?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Chris, you read my mind, I'd planned to enable Taptalk on here as I'd also like to use it!
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Richard Moss wrote: I think a Nightfire Red/Cream style would be great - then we could set it up for Chris and lock his preferences :)
Other than that, magic!
Image perhaps ?
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 pm

BlueRover wrote:
Richard Moss wrote: I think a Nightfire Red/Cream style would be great - then we could set it up for Chris and lock his preferences :)
Other than that, magic!
Image perhaps ?
That looks nice
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Certainly does! Very smart and classy.

Tapatalk... Is that the thing that allows you to look at fora on a smartphone "app"?
One or two 800s...

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Just been looking at the brew site on my phone, will the site load slower? It does not look as good on my phone I have to say.
Simon

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Yes taptalk is the smartphone app that makes browsing forums easier!

Simon, it shouldn't make loading any slower. Do bear in mind that at the moment the database engine will still be optimising the new 150Mb database I've dumped on it. We will probably see a temporary slowdown in the live server when we perform the upgrade, as the database is optimised again.
I've tested it on my small army of devices (PC, Laptop, Honeycomb Tablet, HTC Legend, HTC Desire S, Samsung Galaxy S (with Ice Cream Sandwich installed!), Sony Xperia Arc S and on all of those it looks pretty nice. I haven't yet tested it on iOS (iphone) however I will endeavour to dust off my ipod touch and give it a go. Which phone are you using it from? Bear in mind that you can select the old style from your user control panel (Subsilver2) which may help and of course you'll be able to use taptalk which WILL help ;)

Thanks for all the feedback so far, much appreciated.
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
2015 Mini Cooper SD

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:34 am

Don't even think about it. :lol:

I like Nightfire so red is fine but I think silver/blue is easier on the eye with forums.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:30 am

I had a play on my phone last night looking at the Beta site, no issues at all tried the various 'skins' no problems at all. Looking forward to the upgrade now, 8)
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:33 am

I'm with Dave Dollysprint. Ain't got a clue, don't really care as I don't understando.

Whatever makes it easier for the folks operating the switches and pedals.

And we are all grateful for the work undertaken by you James. Thank you.

Brad

Liking the red and cream.
No longer an 800 owner!

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:07 pm

guru wrote:Yes taptalk is the smartphone app that makes browsing forums easier!

Simon, it shouldn't make loading any slower. Do bear in mind that at the moment the database engine will still be optimising the new 150Mb database I've dumped on it. We will probably see a temporary slowdown in the live server when we perform the upgrade, as the database is optimised again.
I've tested it on my small army of devices (PC, Laptop, Honeycomb Tablet, HTC Legend, HTC Desire S, Samsung Galaxy S (with Ice Cream Sandwich installed!), Sony Xperia Arc S and on all of those it looks pretty nice. I haven't yet tested it on iOS (iphone) however I will endeavour to dust off my ipod touch and give it a go. Which phone are you using it from? Bear in mind that you can select the old style from your user control panel (Subsilver2) which may help and of course you'll be able to use taptalk which WILL help ;)

Thanks for all the feedback so far, much appreciated.
James, thank you for all your efforts. This forum means alot for many of the regular viewers.

Its a Nokia N8 I am using.
Simon

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Probably the only phone I don't have access too! My brother had a symbian powered phone but it broke so he dumped it and bought an Android.

Sadly it doesn't look like taptalk is available for symbian so you might have to go through the styles until you find one that suits.
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
2015 Mini Cooper SD