NEC Classic Motorshow 2012 - ARRANGEMENTS

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

NEC Classic Motorshow 2012 - ARRANGEMENTS

Post by Alex SBY » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

I thought I'd start a fresh thread about this, mainly to now discuss the logistics and whats and wherefores about it.

The lowdown - we've been offered a stand at the NEC International Classic Motorshow.

What is it? Well, singularly the UK's biggest and most impressive indoor classic car show.

Where is it? The NEC (National Exhibition Centre), Birmingham. Easy to get to from the M6/M42 motorways, and can also be reached by Birmingham International Airport, as well as Birmingham International Railway station (easy links to Birmingham New St Station).

When is it? The show is open to the public on 16th, 17th and 18th November 2012. Exhibitors will need to arrive the day before (15th) for the stand build up.

How big a stand have we got? We've been allocated a stand that's 13 metres wide and 5 metres deep. In my view that's enough for three, maybe four cars plus display equipment etc.

In terms of organising the stand, I've got carpeting for us sorted, all being well that's one thing off the list. The things that I will need help with are the following:

* Display boards/information
* Items to put on these boards
* Display presentation equipment (TV sets/projectors etc.)
* Publicity videos to show on this equipment.

Over and above that, of course, is the most important thing. Cars. I need cars! :D

If anyone is interested in having their car displayed on the stand, please contact me. I cannot guarantee anyone a definite place, but what I am looking for is ideally one that represents all of the model types, these being Mk1 Saloon/Fastback; Mk2 Saloon/Fastback; Mk2 Coupe. If we go for four cars (I need to work out stand size/shapes etc. first) then it would be nice to have two Mk1s and two Mk2s.

Remember though, if you want to display it means your car is 'locked' in the NEC from the Thursday to the Sunday. Cars once there have to stay there, and with minimal fuel and battery disconnected (so owners of 820E cars might want to think twice :lol:). You don't have to be 'on stand' for the entire duration, but ideally I'd like all exhibitors around as much as possible (and would arrange it so we took turns and had 'shifts' of manning the stand.

One thing I must say (and I am in no way intending on being condescending or elitest here), is that for the NEC show the cars have to be pretty much tip-top. Anything less than excellent condition is frowned upon by the NEC organisers. That said, I've seen basket case cars shown at the NEC but usually this is part of a 'barn find' style theme that a club might put on, or a 'before and after' (showing a restoration) style thing.

Anyway, if you are interested in showing your car, please PM me. I cannot guarantee anything at this stage (I still need to work out exactly what we can accommodate) but the more interest the better. I'd rather you PM'd me than post in this thread for this aspect, please. :)

I'll update things as and when I have more information. If you have any questions or want to know stuff just chuck a reply in this thread. Thanks all!
One or two 800s...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: NEC Classic Motorshow 2012 - ARRANGEMENTS

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for organising this, now it's up to the membership to come up with the cars
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by TDHFastback » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Alex

Good work on sorting out the NEC
I would be delighted to bring up the Police 827. I think it is in a good enough condition to be on the stand and at a push if your struggling for cars could also bring my Mk2 Sterling which is one of the latest chassis numbers owned by a club member.It would be a good example of a late version and is also in fine condition (no dash warp corrosion etc and brand new prestiges).

Now the logistics
I need to find out what I am working. Its post olympics so stand a much better chance of getting the time off.
I have a commitment on the 17th so won't be around that day
My friend and I could bring the cars up on the Thursday and then get the train back. We could then come up on Sunday morningto pick them up. We may even be able to cover the stand on Friday if we can find accommodation up there.

It would be super to help with the stand and I have a Rover 800 club banner that could be used.
I can't promise anything at the mo as I don't know what my shifts are but will let you know as soon as I do.

Good effort for sorting this out.

Kate :D

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:15 am

PM'd. :)
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

rockdemon
Regular Visitor

Post by rockdemon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:12 pm

excellent news.

It really is time the 800 had a club and the attention it deserves. My 800 is definitely not in show condition, but would love to see some there!

Rich.
Rich,

1998 Rover 820si
1968 Rover P6 3500 (gertrude/pae)

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:17 pm

I don't like the term "show condition" because it's usually used by people who take the car to shows on a trailer for the purposes of winning prizes. Show condition means, to me, any car that can manage to get to the show!

Alex, have you thought about decorating the stand with some 1980s vintage kit? Do you have a VHS player that could play some LWT programming, for example?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BUD827

Post by BUD827 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:30 pm

reading very carefully regarding the nec event I can comment I am interested as most social events concerning rover 800s are certainly what makes interesting days out ,

Myself would love to know when the next event for our enthusiasts only is going to happen and if so where! ( rover 800 meeting )

Wheb able to view different examples of current members cars I find that much more interesting than looking to impress the nec , always a good way to meet new people , ive actually had the pleasure of selling ( very tall brad ) an early mark one sterling with full blue leather , an early 827 saloon that I collectively let go for little money ( dont think brad new i knew that it was a gem) ( I have myself been collecting for over 14 years and can appreciate some of brads cars too, I am aware the earlier model saloons and some mark 2 saloons are some what depleted as the change over is between 1991 - and 1996 and in my opinion the honda engine is the better choice from a kv6 and a 2.0ltr four cylinder. -It can be said that an 827 sterling mark 2 is a model to cherish and seek out , depending on your point of view. I did smile gently at the 820e comments , disconnecting the battery etc - we all love our cars for different reasons thats for sure.

.I welcome all messages but would say I myself have a nice example

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and PMs. I promise I will reply to you all - I've been really tied up with work etc. at the moment but I will reply to you ALL over the weekend.

Kate it would be brilliant to have the Police 827 on stand. Don't worry if you have to bring and leave the car on stand and cannot be there. I've manned stands like this before and it can always be sorted out. The only plus point with the car owner being about is the ability to answer questions on it!

Rich - I've one or two old VHS machines, TV sets and tapes of old TV stuff. I did a similar style thing for the Princess stand, and was thinking of using a similar idea (but relating to the 80s/early 90s) for ours. I've also got some period 800 presentation stuff lined up. I'm also intending on having a (modern) flat-screen monitor in front of every car displaying information about the car, the forum/club and all sorts.

I neither like "show condition" as a term. We're not looking for "trailer queen" cars - but cars that are in lovely condition and that are enjoyed and used by their owners.

I need to review the PMs I've had, triple check stand sizes (for car numbers that can fit etc) and will report back with the outcome. I was intending showing my "E-R17" (ex Royal BRG Sterling) as one car (seeing as I'll be there anyway), so that leaves three potential spaces. With Kate's car if that can be a definite, there is two. Leave it all with me and I'll get it sorted.

I'm really excited about this! :D
One or two 800s...

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Post by pat5338 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:43 am

The NEC Classic Car Show is a really great event, I have helped on the RSR stand on a couple of occasions in the past, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Do make sure you have somewhere comfortable to sit, as there will be a few quiet moments and your feet get very weary towards the end of the day, together with hot drinks and finger food. It is also good to have enough people there manning the stand so that you can spell each other to get around all the halls to see all the other cars.
I am hoping to visit the UK later in the year and would be delighted to help if our visit co-incides with the show.
Re your idea of a Rover 800 Club, count me in, I am a great enthusiast for just about all model 800's

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:18 am

Pat, I'm sure that any advice and help that you can offer to Alex would be gratefully received. I guess at this stage, planning the stand would be most relevant (I think that we have the issue of public liability insurance sorted via the show organisers).

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Sorry I have been quiet on this lately as I have been busy with real life stuff and an irksome 827...

Anyway, all those who have PMd me re the NEC I will reply to very soon, and will publish THE list of cars we are having on the stand in the very near future. Thank you to everyone who has expressed interest and I'm sorry for not replying sooner.

Thanks.

A/.
One or two 800s...

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Right, I've PM'd everyone who has got in touch with me over displaying their cars and chosen what I think is a good reflection of the range; four cars in total; two Mk1s and two Mk2s of differing colours/bodystyles, and with interesting histories.

Once I know everyone who's cars have been selected is able to confirm they can definitely do the show I'll let on more! :D

Thank you to everyone who put their car forward - I wasn't inundated with responses (come on people! :D), but it was nice to have the level of interest I did. To everyone that has not been selected, don't worry - there is always next year, and I'm only sad I could not say yes to you all. If we get a mega-stand for 2013, you never know!

"Please stand by..."
One or two 800s...

PaulT

Post by PaulT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Suppose I am a bit late for offering mine up? It is really really clean and tidy for the age/milage. 1999 Vitesse Fastback in BRG.

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:56 pm

I've been a bit rubbish in not getting involved in this however for my part I'll make sure that we have a refreshed home page up before the show so that when people visit it looks a little more up-to-date!
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 am

Thanks James