Winter tyres

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Winter tyres

Post by SJG » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:45 pm

After a little advice.

I have a little 214 that it's my runaround and winter car, it will need some new tyres soon. I thought it might be an idea to get some winter tyres. My drive to work involves country lanes with lots of farm vehicles that also leave mud over the roads. So would the winter tyres be a good idea, do they last, is it a good idea?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Winter tyres

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Being front driven, could you just change the front pair? Is that legal or wise?
No longer an 800 owner!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:00 am

I've been using winter tyres a few years now and rate them very highly. Especially on cars like your 214 Simon.

Nose heavy and skinny tyres work well in my experience. Not a 4wd by any imagination but capable.

In the summer they'll wear quicker due to being softer. It's advised to have a full set rather than 2 due to the differing grip. Though I've run 2 without problems.

Personally I'd go for it. Though maybe consider some spare wheels and have a winter and some set later on?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks Chris (and Brad) that was just the advice I was after.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:19 pm

officially winter tyres are at there best with very low temperatures, they can be quite dodgy in the summer, something about there construction, they can let go in the summer because they get to warm, and then wear very quickly when they are hot.. should be beneficial in the winter and the colder the better.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:13 am

We still don't know if they are permitted on one axle only. Are they?
No longer an 800 owner!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:32 am

A winter tyre is designed to perform better in temperatures below zero and in the snow. They offer few real advantages in wet conditions as good summer tyres are designed to cope with wet roads. (Most countries get rain in summer as well as winter)

My opinion is that the UK doesn't get severe enough winters to justify the cost of winter tyres. Of course now I've said that we'll get a couple of months of -10 temperatures and 6" of snow and I'll bitterly remember writing this from the bottom of a ditch somewhere. :D
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:17 pm

I would agree but if you're in the market for tyres anyway they're worth a look IMO.

On the mk4 astra we have I had the winters on the rear over the summer and swapped them to the front a couple of weeks back.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:00 am

as far as i'm aware so long as you fit as a pair ( front or rear ) it's not e-legal, not on MOT laws anyway.
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil:

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:24 am

I have mine on the 827 currently.

I have a set of 15" wheels with 185 65 R15 tyres - skinny as I could reasonably fit.

Continental Winter Contacts.

I've done approximately 10K on them and only just had to swap front to rear.

Grip wise they are unbeatable in the snow/ice - I never got involved in any accidents due to loss of control, never got stuck nor had to turn back due to lack of grip - the problem became my front bumper acting as a snow plough! If you need more then that a 4X4 with good ground clearance and chains is the way to go!

Would highly recommend, I would also highly recommend fitting to all 4 corners of the car, you don't want them on the front only as you can easily loose the back end, vice versa on a front driver and they are useless as winter tyres. (Much like Chris mentioned)

The downside? Grip in the dry is about equal to a set of cheap summer tyres (not chinese ditchfinder cheap but near) Wet grip is reasonable (the 827 will break traction in second gear in the wet if you hoof it). Wear rates are high if you use them in summer - worth sourcing a spare set of wheels IMHO
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:04 am

I reckon that the R8 200s have a "slightly-less-than-perfect" chassis and don't have the traction that they need. Winter tyres can only be a good thing, but go back to normal tyres at eater.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT