What MPG figure do you achieve?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What MPG figure do you achieve?

Post by DLR » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Yesterday I took a trip down to Devon and back and for the first time I had a go at working out my MPG figure. 310.7 miles and took 49.5 litres to fill it back up again this morning. Apparently this makes an estimate of 28.53 MPG (confirmed using an online calculator - lazy I know).

I've never given much thought to this before as I prefer not to think about how bad (or good) fuel consumption can be. That and I tend to leave the tank half full so that the car is always ready should I spontaneously decide to leave this place behind/run away with a lover/visit a place of interest/etc (delete as appropriate).

28.5 miles per gallon - is that good for one of these? I know it's only a rough indication as I haven't emptied the tank fully and I haven't got any previous data to go on, just wondered what everyone else was getting and whether this is a more likely figure than that quoted in the Owner's Handbook of 38.8 MPG at a constant 75mph.

No luggage, no passengers, just a 2 litre 800 with a mentalist driver at the wheel.

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What MPG figure do you achieve?

Post by dollysprint » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Dont know your driving style Dan but from the figures on that journey I would say you were cruising at 80-85mph?
Now if you comeback and tell me you were doing 65mph then I'd say your car is overfuelling(probably CTS faulty)
My 2.0 MK1 manual would do 40 mpg on a run to rural Lincolnshire, my Mk2 2.0 manual would do 38mpg on ther same run.Even my MK1 827 Sterling auto will do 33-35mpg on that run and its mainly good A roads.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

simon
Rover Guru

Post by simon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:56 pm

I can get 35 mpg around town and about 48/50 mpg on a run at about 60.
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 am

It has to be said that my right foot was a little heavy on this particular journey for a few reasons... You are quite correct, though. It was a steady cruise :shock:

Quite the norm then. I expect to be going back down there in the next few weeks so I shall adopt the classic fm style to my driving and see what I can get out of it next time.

:P

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:32 pm

DLR wrote:Yesterday I took a trip down to Devon and back and for the first time I had a go at working out my MPG figure. 310.7 miles and took 49.5 litres to fill it back up again this morning. Apparently this makes an estimate of 28.53 MPG (confirmed using an online calculator - lazy I know).

I've never given much thought to this before as I prefer not to think about how bad (or good) fuel consumption can be. That and I tend to leave the tank half full so that the car is always ready should I spontaneously decide to leave this place behind/run away with a lover/visit a place of interest/etc (delete as appropriate).

28.5 miles per gallon - is that good for one of these? I know it's only a rough indication as I haven't emptied the tank fully and I haven't got any previous data to go on, just wondered what everyone else was getting and whether this is a more likely figure than that quoted in the Owner's Handbook of 38.8 MPG at a constant 75mph.

No luggage, no passengers, just a 2 litre 800 with a mentalist driver at the wheel.
Aye, below 30mpg on a run like that your cruising at fair lick there!

Have a look at my fuelly record in my sig, obviously ignore the lastest ones as they are on LPG.

Sit at 62mph behind a bus on the motorway = over 40mpg

Sit at 90 behind the repmobiles in the outside lane = 26mpg

Have the boot full, rear seats full, and a passenger, taking the heads of the valleys road and in a rush to say the least = 16 mpg

Town driving expect 24-26mpg depending on driving style.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 pm

i think i get about 20 around the town, and thirty or just under at about 80/90 criusing on the race track... :wink: rover sterling 825 auto.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

oldbugger
Regular Visitor

Post by oldbugger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 pm

That seems good to me, it's about what I get with my '99 820i, though I am not what you'd call a calm driver. 60MPH? Turn that six upside down and now we're talkin' my language.

Even doing around 80MPH still gets crazy MPG in my old '94 Peugeot 405 diesel which achieves around 47MPG in those circumstances, I know that because I used to use it daily for a lot of motorway driving and lets just say before speed cameras were popular (oh that diesel did sound good at high speeds though, love that old girl).
My Vehicles; 1994 Peugeot 405 GLXd, 1999 Rover 820i, 1993 Rover 820SLi & 1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria.

Mrs Old Bugger's Vehicles; 1991 Rover 827SLi & 1996 Ford Mondeo Ghia-X V6

MikeMedford
Rover Guru

Post by MikeMedford » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:15 pm

With the Vitesse I get 27-30mpg on a run, typically sub 20 around town.

My Astra derv gets around 50mpg wether round town or motorway (that's with 80-90 on motorway mind).
oldbugger wrote:That seems good to me, it's about what I get with my '99 820i, though I am not what you'd call a calm driver. 60MPH? Turn that six upside down and now we're talkin' my language.

Even doing around 80MPH still gets crazy MPG in my old '94 Peugeot 405 diesel which achieves around 47MPG in those circumstances, I know that because I used to use it daily for a lot of motorway driving and lets just say before speed cameras were popular (oh that diesel did sound good at high speeds though, love that old girl).
Must be driving some distance daily then as there are no motorways up by you :lol:

oldbugger
Regular Visitor

Post by oldbugger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Well spotted - I worked away from home a lot in the 80s and 90s and spent a lot of time in the Glasgow and Edinburgh areas. I regret it now for all I missed whilst I was not home but it brought money in so I wasn't about to turn it down.
My Vehicles; 1994 Peugeot 405 GLXd, 1999 Rover 820i, 1993 Rover 820SLi & 1988 Ford LTD Crown Victoria.

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:04 pm

On my '99 820 I tend to get a steady 27 to the gallon for my day to day driving (pretty much 50% town and 50% dual carrageway) when I went up too manchester and back (600 mile round trip) it returned 33 to the gallon, but the weather wasn't quite as cold then.

I know my car is due a service, but money and cold weather are getting in my way, I've managed the collant but the filters and oil are getting desperate!

Regular serviving and warmer weather help the MPG a bit.
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

Jango
Regular Visitor

Post by Jango » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Normally I'm getting a little over 20mpg on my 10mile commute.

However a 288mile run gave 29,6mpg and briefly was showing 30.0 'til i Got stuck in traffic near home.

Best ever is 34.8 on a gentle run from Devon.

The exhaust makes a difference, when my original fell off and an emergemcy Kwikfit jobbie was fitted I saw an instant 2mpg drop!
'91 827 SLi Fastback - back on the road at last.
'89 Sterling - work in progress.....
'99 Sterling - on loan

TheVDM
Regular Visitor

Post by TheVDM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Jango wrote:The exhaust makes a difference, when my original fell off and an emergemcy Kwikfit jobbie was fitted I saw an instant 2mpg drop!
Although that's something I knew it has reminded me that when I did the run to Manchester getting 33 to the gallon I had the Rover 800 straight tailpipe back box and now on my 27 to the gallon average I have the Rover 800 bent tailpipe back box. I wonder if the version I have isn't as economical, personally I prefer the appearance of the traight tailpipes
Jim Valentine

1999 Jaguar S-Type V6 SE (want to swap for an 800)
My old 800.

Jango
Regular Visitor

Post by Jango » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 pm

The tailpipe shape makes no difference, my original was bent, it's what's in the silencer box that does it!

The Kwikfit one was straight and crap, my current one is bent and crap....both kill mpg and strangle the engine towards the redline :evil:
'91 827 SLi Fastback - back on the road at last.
'89 Sterling - work in progress.....
'99 Sterling - on loan

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:39 pm

Always try and use original parts as you are very unlikely to be lucky and find an aftermarket exhaust that is as efficient as the real thing.

Tailpipes which point to the ground (bent ones, as you say) are normally found on original spec diesel 825s. However, I have had a couple of aftermarket backboxes that are also like this and they are for petrol engined cars.
No longer an 800 owner!

oldbugger
Regular Visitor

Post by oldbugger » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:28 pm

TheVDM wrote:
Jango wrote:The exhaust makes a difference, when my original fell off and an emergemcy Kwikfit jobbie was fitted I saw an instant 2mpg drop!
Although that's something I knew it has reminded me that when I did the run to Manchester getting 33 to the gallon I had the Rover 800 straight tailpipe back box and now on my 27 to the gallon average I have the Rover 800 bent tailpipe back box. I wonder if the version I have isn't as economical, personally I prefer the appearance of the traight tailpipes
I haven't driven my 1993 820SLi enough yet to compare the MPG to the 1999 820i but it should be interesting because the '99 820i has straight tail pipes (original from new) and the '93 820SLi has down-facing pipes (not original but genuine Rover).

I doubt it makes a difference though.