Rover 800 - Alternatives?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rover 800 - Alternatives?

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 pm

Before you panic I'm not giving up on the old girl yet!

I've been driving 800's ever since I could - Learned how to fix cars by working on them, Learned to drive on one, passed my test in one, crashed one :cry: etc...

I've amassed a measly 40,000 miles of driving since passing my test, mostly in an 800 of some kind.

I've only ever driven 820 NASP's on the road, had a go in a Vitesse a while back.

I've driven a Celica, MX5, a Reliant Scimitar, Nissan Micra, Smart car!, and a Freelander 1

I've been passenger'd in just about everything from Micras to my brothers Daimler Super V8

I LOVE the 800 for it's practicality in carrying stuff/people and motorway comfort. Not to mention the LPG conversion 8)

I HATE the 800 for it's squeaks, rattles, crashy suspension (new springs and dampers all round and it's still poor IMHO) and badly aged chassis.

It has only let me down three times, Clutch slave cylinder blew its seals, clutch disintegrated!, electrical fire

What I'm after.

Something similar in size and practicality, just a more modern design of chassis/suspension and lack of interior squeaks and rattles. A car that wasn't designed in the early 80's and feels like it basically.

I love my housemate's Celica as it's fun, drives like a go kart and is forgiving if you're over enthusisatic. However it's totally impractical for my lifestyle and something like it would only be suitable as a second sunday/toy car.

I don't care whether it's FWD RWD or AWD

I do not want an Audi, BMW, Merc or VW - Just personal preference not to drive anything that is usually crawling up my exhaust on the M1 regardless of how nice they are as engineering pieces.

I like my big cars, I'd appreciate a minimum of 130bhp / ton, I have no brand preference other than stated above!
Comfort for 4 or 5 people on a long trip essential, good boot space, roof rack fitment and a towbar are also necessary
PETROL not diesel, I refuse point blank to drive a car fueled by Satan, they're dirty and not cost effective compared to LPG

I was thinking of an XJR (X300 AJ16 Supercharged) for a few reasons, it's just as practical, I know my way around them (with the help of my brothers that is!), they're plenty bonkers for my taste and they're plentiful.
My brother who works at jaguar suggested the X358 XJR but it's a little pricey for me to insure being a 4.2 supercharged v8! (And it's a little too bonkers for me!) Plus the aluminium chassis and air suspension puts me off bit...

Volvo V70 or a Lexus LS430 also crossed my mind

I don't plan on replacing the 800 yet (by replacement I mean Dad no longer has to share his car!), it's by far the cheapest car to run I've ever come across, £500 for the car £1000 on repairs, LPG conversion and maintenance since purchase. £200 VED. Low insurance risk. Works out to 22 pence per mile including VED, Insurance, maintenance and Fuel! (10k miles/year typical)

I may be moving to New Zealand in December to do an 18 month long internship program - so would really be looking for a replacement car after I get back to the UK
If I don't end up in NZ and get a job here in the UK then I'd like to get a replacement before I start work.

Your thought and opinions would be greatly appreciated :)
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rover 800 - Alternatives?

Post by mercedade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Although it doesn't rate quite as highly as the 'premium' cars you've expressed an interest in, as a car which is capable of being plenty of fun whilst remaining cheap to keep on top of and repair (for a home DIY-er anyway), don't forget the Omega.

I had the boring 2 litre version, but even that as a RWD manual was a fun thing to mess around with.

Insanely practical and reliable too.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:45 pm

V70
Omega
Lexus

all of these would be on my list.

I would also consider a late Scorpio. I really do like these. Another underdog.

Steer clear of French cars for all the obvious (un)reliability reasons.

I have owned all of the above (except the Volvo) and rate them all very highly each for different reasons. As you are so tall, you might rule out the V70 as the front screen pillars on the later cars slope back very sleekly - visibility and headroom is very limited.
No longer an 800 owner!

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Not a fan of the Scorpio to be honest Brad, I would have to drive one to be convinced it drives better than an 800.

Not to mention the 'interesting' front end design.

Thanks for the heads up about headroom in the V70, not having sat in one I'd have had no idea. Reminds me of when I went to see the new GT86 in a dealership... built by the japanese, for the japanese. Anyone a shade over 5' 10" would not fit comfortably, at my 6' 3"... not a chance! Same reason I can't own an MX5 :-(

As for the Omega, not one I had previously considered but having done a little reading it's now on my list of possibilities :-)

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:30 pm

The Volvo was the first thing that came to mind for me, along with the X300 and Omega.

However, if you don't mind LHD, why not consider some Yank machinery? Build quality will never be of the highest order but they are usually comfortable, practical and reliable.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:05 pm

Alternatives ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU

I like the Omega too for RWD fun-ness plus it's a biggish car and you can always pretend to be an unmarked traffic car.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:24 pm

I have to add another vote for the Lexus here.. I am on my second LS400 (can't afford a 430 yet but that is an obvious upgrade path that will be open for many years yet). I suppose insurance may be an issue for you, but in every other respect they are a staggeringly good motor.
The saloon body type limits load capacity - so a V70 estate would be far more practical of course.
A Mk4 LS400 on LPG is dirt cheap now. It would be a bit boring though because they just work. An occasional oil change will be the limit to the spanner time you will need to invest.
Oh, and they are more economical on fuel than an 827, very much quicker, and redefine comfortable and relaxed cruising.
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Alternative to an 800?

hmmm
let's see

820 825 827 :D

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Volvo for me of course. :D

Totally agree on what's been said regarding the A pillar. The facelift (MK2) does feel a little more cramped.

IMO though not a progression the older V70 is a nicer car to drive.

I have one of each these days. An R plate V70R and a 52 plate V70 T5.

The newer car is a nicer ride and newer looking/feeling. But the older car is just somehow more involving. A lot like my feelings on MK1 and 2 800s TBH.

They do have their problems like anything though. Biggest hassle is ETMs (electronic throttle modules).

Easily tuned though so nice power isn't far away. My R is chipped and very capable. Though economy is poor when pushed as to be expected. No clue on LPG ability. Never looked into it.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

gibbzy2k1
Rover Guru

Post by gibbzy2k1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:00 am

I can vote for the Omega, My grandfather has a 2.5 estate. Lovely car, really nice to drive, ot as quick as the 825 though but does get better mpg. lol My uncle has had 2 and they are really nice cars. I have thought about them or possible a Lexus. But for me, when the sterling dies I am will probably be getting a Merc. Either a CLK to replace the coupe or possible an E class for practicality. Its about the only thing I have found so far that can match my sterlings for comfort and luxury with all the toys etc etc.
"Hey, let's be careful out there"

Callen
1994 Rover 820 Vitesse Sport *RIP
2005 MG ZS+ 115
1997 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe
1998 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon

gibbzy2k1
Rover Guru

Post by gibbzy2k1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 am

Also as Brad said the Scorpio is a nice motor. My Grandfather had a 96 saloon when I was younger, I only drove it twice. But he then had a 98 2.3 auto estate. That I used to borrow a lot. Absolutely lovelly car to drive and could still be fun. I had the tail out once with a sofa in the back, could be a suprise... But the front end did let them down looking like a frog, but you dont see that when your driving it though...

Callen
2005 MG ZS+ 115

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 pm

how about a nissan ( :shock: ) 350z, very fast, handles and petrol ( :D ) 4 wheel drive and 7 speed box, can be bought for good money now.
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil:

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 pm

ZS

ZT

???
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

gibbzy2k1
Rover Guru

Post by gibbzy2k1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Simon Hubbard wrote:ZS

ZT

???
ZT is a possibility, maybe a ZT-T but I wounld say ZS. I have a Z and it is a lovelly car but if I have a shoice of car to take its the Sterling everytime. I am just over 6ft and find that the ZS is cramped if I have to move the seat forward for anyone to sit behind me. Although if I am honest, I was after a ZT a while back even though I found the 75 to be cramped compared to the 800.

Callen
2005 MG ZS+ 115

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm

metelmickey wrote:how about a nissan ( :shock: ) 350z, very fast, handles and petrol ( :D ) 4 wheel drive and 7 speed box, can be bought for good money now.
Alucard7002 wrote:I love my housemate's Celica as it's fun, drives like a go kart and is forgiving if you're over enthusisatic. However it's totally impractical for my lifestyle and something like it would only be suitable as a second sunday/toy car.
Practicality of the 350Z Mickey? :wink:
I already have dibs on the Celica when Norman is finished with it. If I end up with it I have a plan or two to make it a little more "interesting" to drive. :twisted:

Seems alot of love for the Scorpio, I'll have to test drive one at some point and get over my waryness of older platforms (still can't get the memory of the Saab 93 convertible test drive out of my head!) My only niggle is that it's fundamentally, a stretched 80's Sierra!

Richard, in terms of foreign marques, I would love to try the HSV Clubsport R8 Tourer, basically a 4 door estate version of the Vauxhall Monaro. Dread the insurance premium though!

ZTT had also crossed my mind, however headroom may be an issue! So many cars I've thought of but forgot to mention!

Just to point out to folks who haven't met me in person, I'm 6' 3" and find many cars cramped as I have a proportional body shape not just gangly arms and legs! Headroom in an 800 is an issue for me, hence fitting recaros and changing my driving position to suit.

I really appreciate the suggestions folks, all of them are good suggestions. Would have to test drive all of them thoroughly of course before I can come to a conclusion.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B