Suprised at an MG

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

torque2me
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Suprised at an MG

Post by torque2me » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:
[cut]

The painful part of the MG6 is not the exterior but the awful interior. Dark, hard, shiny cheap looking plastic and very cramped. Not a nice place to be. But at around £5/6000 for a low mileage USED car, I would be happy in one if I was under 5 feet 10" (that's you and me both out then, Kate).
Interesting that as it is the same take as my own. I was at the launch of the dealership of Brown & Gammons and none other than the top knob (from the chinese company) was there. It was extremely difficult to get over to them that a black interior was depressing and that many people would prefer a lighter interior. He eventually said they had plans to introduce a "dark" grey interior 12 months after launch of MG6. His tone of voice gave me the impression that this statement was only made in extremis as I think he was getting tired of me following him about all the time.

Kev

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by BennyVitesse » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:09 pm

William Wang is Mr Ignorant. He reckons the 6 is the best car ever made by SAIC and doesn't 'understand' why its only selling here in penny numbers. At the dealer launch for MG3 (same day as the Technical Launch) he took all the dealers into the auditorium and ranted at them for not selling as many as he wanted. Some of the dealers gave as good as they got pointing out that 'grownup' marques help dealers with things like Television Advertising.....
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:00 pm

I prefer a darker interior to be honest
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:00 pm

deano wrote:I prefer a darker interior to be honest
so does :twisted: count dracula
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:41 pm

I think Count Dracula's coffin with the lid screwed down lets in more light.

The MG6 with it's tenuous links to the original Rover/BL/BMC/Austin/MG cars could have strengthened that link by making the interiors a touch more British. Not with wood as that would just be plain silly but by using more British colours - tans, beiges, light greys etc. A very easy way to lift an interior is use of colour. Also, a black interior never looks clean. Every speck of dust shows up. A nice coffee cream beigy set of carpets and seats needs little attention to always look smart.

Exterior-wise, I still think it looks great especially when you see one for real, not in a photo. One of our local GPs has an MG6GT in white which replaced a succession of several MGRover cars - I think the last one was a 75 Tourer - and it really stands out when parked in the main car park in town.
No longer an 800 owner!

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:53 pm

I've seen the new MG3 too recently after taking an unexpected detour through Q-Gate. I have some pics but will put them up soon when I take a test drive of one.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Just a little push for the MG6 from me. Although these cars would be a touch uncomfortable for me to drive (short seats), I really am liking them more and more. This week, MG announced that the top of the range car can be bought for around £3000 less at under £17000. This makes it great value. As long as depreciation is ignored.
Last edited by Very Tall Brad on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer an 800 owner!

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:08 am

Oh dear, I take it at some point Very Brad Tall of the Shire of HandsWorcesterWorth will be owning one if these at some point. Not a bad thing to be honest, I wouldn't mind owning one right about now. Makes a change from all these blasted Jags and LandRovers that have been crossing my path of late.

I really must get myself down to Q-Gate again and demand a test drive of the new MG3. I got some pics of some when I got to drive around inside Q-Gate.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:41 am

May be worth buying and fitting a custom drivers seat. I did that on a few cars when I was younger - some cars were very cramped in those days.
No longer an 800 owner!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53 pm

More reason to buy one now - lower emissions on diesel models.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-c ... ms-new-rs3
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Good for them. But the diesel engine isn't that quiet compared to what's available these days. But still quieter than an 825 diesel or an 827 with tappet rattle. :D
No longer an 800 owner!