What defines a premium car?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Captain Slow
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What defines a premium car?

Post by Captain Slow » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi chaps/chapesses/like-minded Roverholics,

I'd like your opinions on something. I'm a shortlisted finalist in the Sir William Lyons Award 2013, and the topic of debate is the future of premium vehicles. As owners and enthusiasts of what when new was considered a premium car, I'd like to hear what your views are as to what defines a premium car both past and present, and where the future of the premium sector might be.

I'll link to my initial article and the analysis piece I was asked to write, and I hope it stimulates a bit of debate!

What Defines a Premium Vehicle in 2013?

Premium Cars: An Analysis

Over to you - look forward to hearing your ideas! Feel free to join the debate here, on Facebook or on Twitter using the hashtag #PremCar2013 :)
Sam Skelton
1977 Triumph Stag
1992 SAAB 9000CSE 2.3T
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9D LX
1993 Citroen XM TCT SEi auto
1994 Peugeot 306 1.8XT auto
1996 Jaguar XJR auto
1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1999 Rover 820Si

dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What defines a premium car?

Post by dollysprint » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:53 pm

I haven't read your article yet as dinner is soon to be dished, but initial thoughts are that the question was once much easier to answer than it is now. And the reason I say that, and I'll use Audi as an example, is because manufacturers now span such a huge range. From £15000 nice but not premium to £80000 stunning supercars, but not an executive barge, more sports minded. So the middle of the Audi range to find premium fodder. tea time.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:57 pm

I would say the most expensive model of a particular manufacturers range.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:44 pm

"what defines a premium car"

Snob value, what the neighbours think...............

:D
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:34 am

vito wrote:"what defines a premium car"

Snob value, what the neighbours think...............

:D
That.^^^^ I was about to say that it is almost nothing to do with the car and almost everything to do with the market perception of the badge.

So, if Skoda made an XJ6 or DB9 it would still be "only a Skoda" whereas when Audi make car that are basically slightly tarted up Skoda Octavias, people see them as "classy". This explains to me why the Honda NSX never got the recognition that it deserves - it i one of the finest supercars ever built, easily outclassing the stuff that Lotus produce as well as most Ferraris.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 am

And what others think about a car/brand, and when you care about what people think about your car/brand can determine a certain type of persons definition of a premium car/brand and influence that certain type of persons purchase decision - perception and snob value I would say is a major part of badge engineering and brand recognition, of course all of which aims to be premium by the nature of the beast
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.