What would you buy?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What would you buy?

Post by CHR15E » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:44 pm

No, I find myself craving a clutch pedal when I do.

I agree that certain cars are better suited and also that they have their uses in traffic/town etc but they're not for me.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:42 pm

I used to do that at first but can't remember the last time. That said i've been driving autos for about 30 years now with a few manuals every once in a while "just to see". All in all i definitely prefer auto, especially now i'm so much more used to it. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:05 am

It's not a lack of experience thing for me. I've had years of driving both manuals and autos. I don't actually try to use the clutch when in an auto. Just that I wish it had one.

My Dad only ever had autos for as long as I can remember. His favourite line was 'If we were meant to drive manuals, we'd have been born with 3 feet'. :D Not sure where the line came from?

My Mum is the same due to my dads influence. Maybe I'm rebelling? :lol:

I just find autos boring generally, probably coupled with being impatient. :roll: :lol:

Though I haven't driven a newer tiptronic type, maybe that would change my mind? Who knows.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:51 am

Got to say i agree with your dad and i think i've used a similar line myself - as for the Tiptronic/Selectronic the only ones i've ever really driven are SmartCars and those would be at least 13 years old now.
The Smartcar is known for slow automatic changes but it's even worse in tiptronic mode. You flip the paddle to change gear and the car starts thinking about it, reducing power output then disconnecting the drive before changing gear and restoring drive and power - eventually!
Closest i've driven otherwise to a tiptronic was a semi-automatic Datsun 120A F-II (old T reg) that had two microswitches in the gearlever knob. As you pushed forwards or backwards on the lever, one or other of these microswitches would make and disconnect the clutch so you could change gear. Worked well but all in all i'd rather have a "proper" auto than either of those two systems.
At least with a "proper" auto you just floor the loud pedal and go, whether that's from rest or kickdown while traveling. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:54 am

Every "tiptronic" auto I've driven is no substitute for a manual. You still get torque convertor slip and the changes can be slow and jerky. The only thing I've found them useful for is towing - being able to lock out top and use lock-up in lower gears for lugging up hills and getting some engine braking.

A DSG with auto shifting would be an interesting thing, but I've only been a passenger in one - and the owner told me it was great on the move, but setting off and inching in car parks it was hopeless.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:45 pm

both my bmw's ( 1999 735 and 2003 760 ) have step-tronic boxes, the 735 you push and pull the gear lever, the 760 has buttons on the steering wheel, on both you keep your foot in the carpet and the gear change is smooth and instant.
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil: