What would you buy?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What would you buy?

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:15 am

Funny you would mention the Datsun Wagon - Based on the R34 GTR Chassis

My requirements for the next daily driver:

Has to have 220 - 250 hp/ton
Auto
Torque not power

(Blame Middle brother's x308 Super V8 and TheOldMan's X358 for converting me! For making progress those are phenomenal machines!)

Carry bikes + camping gear with no trailer
NOT GERMAN!

Very few fit the bill

Then I saw this... 2.6l Twin Turbo straight 6, 4 paw drive and auto
Crank the wick up to 400 ponies (600hp max on the OEM internals and then only the manual gearbox will cope)

Sourcing the GTR front end is the hard part

Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:08 am

Nissan Stagea - very nice!! Or for those not in "the know", Nissan Skyline estate. Very useful tool for very many things!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by CHR15E » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:59 am

Not for me, dog ugly standard IMO.

Plus mostly if not all auto?

And too rare/old.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:28 pm

Well I still have the Mondeo and I've completely given up trying to find a replacement. I simply can't find anything else that fits my list of requirements that's newer than this.

So I've decided to just keep it. My other half has changed hours at work which means she won't start till after I finish so we're thinking of sharing a car day to day and keeping mine for moving things and when I need to tow.

So now looking for something more interesting that with both like with a bit of power that's definitely not diesel.
Chris

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 pm

following the theme of `estates` ...

I always quite liked the *cough* bmw *cough* 5 Series estate, very good lines for an estate :)
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:14 pm

I can see where you're coming from on a 5-Series estate purely on the looks front. Then again there's a lot of other big estates that still have a fair bit of poke and are reliable and will swallow huge amounts of luggage - not sure there's many newer than what Chris has that i would go anywhere near admittedly but if age isn't a problem, then for pure load lugging and a nice bit of poke there's the Volvo 960 with the 3L 24v lump and a cavernous load deck. Going about a decade older is what i've just bought, the 760 GLE V6 with even more load lugging ability than the 9xx series or something often over-looked is the Vauxhall Omega estate. I know there were V6 options but i can't remember the sizes, 2.6 and 3.2 come to mind and i have a feeling the 3.2 is the Isuzu Trooper/Vauxhall Monterey unit.

If you wanted something really different and didn't mind shelling out for a respray then a couple of grand would buy you a 3000 Carlton estate :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CARL ... SwNsdXTbJX

Obviously a "mix'n'match" but IMHO a very nice mix!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 pm

Still the R34 front clip Stagea for me personally. Thanks to the R34 GTR and it's cult status, parts are easy to come by and cheap. Buy a nice one just for it's shell, bare metal rebuild, drop in the RB26DETT and slushbox. Liquid phase LPG it and happy days at 25mpg :twisted:

I refuse to own anything German on principle.

I've been borrowing my brothers E300D Wagon, "affectionately" nicknamed Das Panzerwagon for it's tank like build quality and load lugging ability.

2m x 1m x 0.8m loadspace with the seats down, roof bars that can take 100+ kgs, towbar coupled with hydraulic self leveling rear suspension.

It's a real motorway barge though, surprising turn of speed once the turbo wakes up from deep hibernation, corners are uncomfortable purely because you slide across the leather sofa! Though it is difficult to drive in the middle, easy to granddad it everywhere, easy to taxi driver it everywhere, hard to be smooth in between.

Utterly soulless and miserable to drive after the first 100 miles.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:43 am

deano wrote:following the theme of `estates` ...

I always quite liked the *cough* bmw *cough* 5 Series estate, very good lines for an estate :)
Not against them but not many to choose from that aren't 10+ years old.
scoobyh123 wrote:Volvo 960 with the 3L 24v lump and a cavernous load deck. Going about a decade older is what i've just bought, the 760 GLE V6 with even more load lugging ability than the 9xx series or something often over-looked is the Vauxhall Omega estate. I know there were V6 options but i can't remember the sizes, 2.6 and 3.2 come to mind and i have a feeling the 3.2 is the Isuzu Trooper/Vauxhall Monterey unit.

If you wanted something really different and didn't mind shelling out for a respray then a couple of grand would buy you a 3000 Carlton estate
All too old for me these days unfortunately, all likely to want lots of TLC which I'm not interested in doing.

Plus ideally I want FWD or 4WD if it were available. The other half has no experience with RWD and I don't fancy using any car of mine as her place to learn. :lol:
Alucard7002 wrote:Still the R34 front clip Stagea for me personally. Thanks to the R34 GTR and it's cult status, parts are easy to come by and cheap. Buy a nice one just for it's shell, bare metal rebuild, drop in the RB26DETT and slushbox. Liquid phase LPG it and happy days at 25mpg :twisted:

I refuse to own anything German on principle.

I've been borrowing my brothers E300D Wagon, "affectionately" nicknamed Das Panzerwagon for it's tank like build quality and load lugging ability.

2m x 1m x 0.8m loadspace with the seats down, roof bars that can take 100+ kgs, towbar coupled with hydraulic self leveling rear suspension.

It's a real motorway barge though, surprising turn of speed once the turbo wakes up from deep hibernation, corners are uncomfortable purely because you slide across the leather sofa! Though it is difficult to drive in the middle, easy to granddad it everywhere, easy to taxi driver it everywhere, hard to be smooth in between.

Utterly soulless and miserable to drive after the first 100 miles.
Not looking for a project like that. I want something out the box that does what I want with little to no work to use it.

The Mondeo has all that old Merc has. Just wish it was petrol. :roll:

I think I'm a bit of a dinosaur by the look of it as it seems I want the opposite to most people.

My other issue seems to be the older I get the fussier I become and my list of specifics becomes even longer. :roll:
Short of building a car which I really have no interest in doing these days I think I've shot it? :roll: :lol:
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:38 am

CHR15E wrote: All too old for me these days unfortunately, all likely to want lots of TLC which I'm not interested in doing.

Plus ideally I want FWD or 4WD if it were available. The other half has no experience with RWD and I don't fancy using any car of mine as her place to learn. :lol:

Not looking for a project like that. I want something out the box that does what I want with little to no work to use it.

The Mondeo has all that old Merc has. Just wish it was petrol. :roll:

I think I'm a bit of a dinosaur by the look of it as it seems I want the opposite to most people.

My other issue seems to be the older I get the fussier I become and my list of specifics becomes even longer. :roll:
Short of building a car which I really have no interest in doing these days I think I've shot it? :roll: :lol:
I don't think you're alone Chris and not a dinosaur either. It's more a case of concentrating on what you really want and finding something that fits the bill. Have you thought about a later Saab estate, not so late that you get a free chicken chow mein or asked "Yoo-wahn sore finger wi' tha'?". Saabs are a bit of a "Marmite car" though, you either love them or hate them. I've had one or two (driven several more as well) and while there was nothing wrong with them, i hated the damned things!

Another option would be an X-type estate or a Volvo XC70/90 - all three of those have AWD so the best of both worlds for you as it's both FWD and 4WD depending on what's needed.

I can see where Dusan is coming from with the Stagea, get one that's good mechanically, sort the engine/box to how he wants/needs it, get the bodywork sorted and then keep it for a long time. If you were more prepared for a similar sort of project then one of those would also fit your bill unless you bought a good one and just ran/serviced it - if memory serves many of them had AWD as well but i think that was restricted to the top line performance models with twin turbos etc.

Or trade your Mondeo in for a petrol or dual-fuel version.................... :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Not a fan of the later SAAB's, some of the styling on them is not great IMO.

X-Types are too old and the only one I'd consider is the 3L version which seems to be rare. :roll:

Not really wanting something as big as an XC Volvo, plus from what I can see there's basically no petrols available?

AFAIK most if not all Stagea's are auto? Plus without a lot of effort are dog ugly IMO. Oh and too old.

I wish swapping mine for a petrol were that easy. :roll: The ST220 is not type approved for towing. :roll: The only other choice is the 3L Titanium/Ghia but they're very rare and TBH I can't see the point of swapping mine to that when I know what mine's had spent on it?
Newer Mondeo's are rare in petrol and not suitable.

Honestly it's more difficult than you think. I've been looking for well over a year now trying to come up with something.

I can only hope that in the not too distant future as petrols seem to be coming back in to fashion someone will start making cars I want to buy.
Chris

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:21 pm

If it was 40 years ago you could trade your Cortina (Mondeo) in for a Granada estate! :wink: :D Both would of course be petrol and correct wheel drive and your other half would almost certainly be more au fait with correct wheel drive as there were so few other cars back then that were wrong wheel drive (FWD) so that wouldn't be a problem either.

Meanwhile back in the real world, it's 2016 and i see your problem. I think all you can do is wait like you say until manufacturers catch themselves back on after diesel-gate and the health scandal that is currently happening with diseasels and start making proper cars with petrol engines again.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:09 pm

There are some petrol XC90s about and they lose value fast so make a decent 2nd hand buy. If you can afford it, avoid pre '06 as most of the niggly faults were gone by the facelift. Don't whatever you do buy a 3L turbo six as the GM gearbox couldn't last past 40K Miles.

The later models came with a 3.2 six or a 4.4 V8. I've not driven either, but they have a reputation for being good fun.

I do like my XC a lot. My dad was impressed enough to buy one for himself and loves it.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:08 pm

Hmmmmm..................... a 4.4V8 XC90? That does sound like fun!!! :wink: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:39 am

scoobyh123 wrote:If it was 40 years ago you could trade your Cortina (Mondeo) in for a Granada estate! :wink: :D Both would of course be petrol and correct wheel drive and your other half would almost certainly be more au fait with correct wheel drive as there were so few other cars back then that were wrong wheel drive (FWD) so that wouldn't be a problem either.

Meanwhile back in the real world, it's 2016 and i see your problem. I think all you can do is wait like you say until manufacturers catch themselves back on after diesel-gate and the health scandal that is currently happening with diseasels and start making proper cars with petrol engines again.
Fingers crossed.
traineefarmer wrote:There are some petrol XC90s about and they lose value fast so make a decent 2nd hand buy. If you can afford it, avoid pre '06 as most of the niggly faults were gone by the facelift. Don't whatever you do buy a 3L turbo six as the GM gearbox couldn't last past 40K Miles.

The later models came with a 3.2 six or a 4.4 V8. I've not driven either, but they have a reputation for being good fun.

I do like my XC a lot. My dad was impressed enough to buy one for himself and loves it.
Found them on Autotrader now, I realised after it's because I had manual ticked when searching and couldn't find any. Therefore they're a no no for me.

TBH I'm not really looking for an SUV anyway. Just want an estate.
Chris

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:31 am

Not a fan of automatics? Shame, because the manual gearbox ruins the XC90 and actually makes it LESS economical.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5