MG 3 display at Merry Hill Shopping Centre

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

MG 3 display at Merry Hill Shopping Centre

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 pm

The new MG3 has been on display in the main concourse in the centre of Merry Hill (Westfield) for about 2 months. There are a pair on show together with an MG6 GT and MG Magnette Saloon. The display is spacious and the cars are accessible to anyone who wants a good root about and a sit in the cars.

What I want to say here is that the exhibiting of these cars can't be cheap. The cars and the display is very impressive. All the cars are beautifully finished and look fabulous under the harsh lighting.

What lets them down? The awful people they have employed to man the stand. They are disinterested and chat between themselves and play on their phones. Me and my son sat there for 40 minutes waiting for someone last week and not once did we see any shopper approached. The few who were brave to ask a question were told to fill in a card and someone would be in touch.

This is a shame as the cars (both of which I have driven) really are very good and deserve better, especially for the money.

No longer an 800 owner!

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: MG 3 display at Merry Hill Shopping Centre

Post by BennyVitesse » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:26 pm

Your experiences mirrors the one I got when I saw a 6 displayed in the Guildhall Shopping Centre in Stafford. Having manned stands like this before I know how soul destroying it can get when you approach dozens of people and get 99% knockbacks (or worse) but to treat 'on spec' enquiries with that level is disdain is out of order.

Have you contacted MG Motor with your findings?
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:38 pm

I haven't told anyone at MG. Maybe I should.

Don't get me wrong about the role of the 'personality girls' - they probably are only there to gather enquiries but their behaviour, body language and teenage activities (texting, chatting on their phones at full volume) isn't a good impression. The display would be better served if the stand was unmanned and all the cars locked.
No longer an 800 owner!

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I like the phrase 'personality girls' :)

I would tell them. The upper echelons will take it seriously. If I was MG I'd staff the stand myself with the sales staff from Longbridge.
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:I haven't told anyone at MG. Maybe I should.
Very much a British thing. We don't complain enough.
We should be more like our American cousins, after all they are working in a service industry and we are paying good money for the privilege.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Yam
Regular Visitor

Post by Yam » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:43 pm

Brad.
I looked at this display 2 weeks ago....
same thing....and i returned after picking up what I needed.
More interested in their phones than giving info on the cars.....which looked rather nice.

It's nothing new...most of our younger workers seem to think their phone is more important than actually doing a job of work.
Graham

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:53 pm

I did send an email to MG at Longbridge and await a reply. If they have any clue about how to deal with this, they should just wander up to the display one day and observe the lack of anything real going on with the people manning the stand.
No longer an 800 owner!

FrazzleTC
Regular Visitor

Post by FrazzleTC » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Pity to hear that they're still not making any real effort to shift their products. I can't even find a dealer that isn't a couple of hours drive away from home, so I won't be looking round any at any point soon.
Fraser

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:I did send an email to MG at Longbridge and await a reply. If they have any clue about how to deal with this, they should just wander up to the display one day and observe the lack of anything real going on with the people manning the stand.
I am guessing by the fact you haven't posted up a response to your email yet Brad that you haven't received anything from them indicating that they have not learnt anything and proves their customer service is rubbish:(
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Nothing yet. The stand on Friday, though, was unmanned. I was there at 3.45pm and passed by again at 8pm.
No longer an 800 owner!

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 pm

They are disinterested and chat between themselves and play on their phones. Me and my son sat there for 40 minutes waiting for someone last week and not once did we see any shopper approached. The few who were brave to ask a question were told to fill in a card and someone would be in touch.
Sound's exactly like the team they had at the Bristol Balloon fair.
When we tried to talk to one of the female reps about the cars and the deals being offered, she climbed into the car and locked the door before playing with her phone.

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:49 am

MG Mal wrote: When we tried to talk to one of the female reps about the cars and the deals being offered, she climbed into the car and locked the door...
:D Didn't realise you were such a frightening looking chap Mal.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)