Claim to fame - Sort of

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Claim to fame - Sort of

Post by CHR15E » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:29 am

I'll try to keep it brief. :)

At the end of December 2003 I bought a Nightfire red 827i Saloon off an old boy in the next town. When I met up with him in the pub where it looked to have been abandoned outside of he told me this huge story about how he was being done for drink driving and he'd been set up etc. TBH most of the guys story went in one ear and out the other.

This is the car, it was a 96 N 827i manual. It'd done about 70K at the time. I'd only had it 3 months and someone ran up the back of it and wrote it off. It then sat on my drive for months, after a massive insurance wrangle. A whole other story. :D

Fast forward 6 months and after watching the end of the France V England match from Euro 2004 which we lost. :roll: A programme that was on after was Traffic Cops, I wasn't really paying much attention but all of a sudden they were talking about a guy who they'd had a tip off about and then they said it was the red Rover that went past that they needed to stop. Can you guess where this is going? :D

I just thought it was a huge coincidence really but everyone else in the room was making jokes about that it could have been one I'd owned with how many I'd had etc. However as soon as they stopped the car and I saw the Hammonds sticker in the rear window I couldn't believe it could have been the same car. Then seeing the old boy get out I knew instantly it had to have been. They don't show a lot of the car really but one give away is the alloys. It had TSW Venoms on when I bought it from which can clearly be seen.

I've told a few people this story over the years and kept saying I was going to try and find a copy of the video. I finally did it the other morning after a few minutes Googling of what episode was on the day of the England match. Thanks to Wikipedia it was pretty easy to find, then straight to Youtube and I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKk0XQ6Kjg

8.53 is the specific bit I'm talking about if you don't fancy watching the whole episode. 23.22 is the follow up where he makes himself look an idiot as to why he was over the limit. He'd told me the same story too. At 28.23 you can see as they sum up that they haven't blocked out the reg of the car which was N883YAU. I've saved off a copy so I'll have it to bore people forever now. :D

So there you have it, hardly front page news but it made me smile anyway. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Claim to fame - Sort of

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:50 am

The guy was clearly Brahms and Lizst but the cop who arrested him was pretty arrogant too. I watch a lot of things like Road Wars, Police Interceptors etc and never seen one "play to the camera" like he did.

As for the excuse about his liver, it's possible i suppose but if it is, he shouldn't have risked drink-driving, plain and simple! :wink: :D

EDIT

All this got me thinking and i remembered my first Rover, a white P6 2000. For the first 2-3 weeks of owning it, i was pulled loads of times by the local Police in the town where i lived. Every time the questions were the same, how long had i owned the car, did i buy it from a certain part of the town, was it an older bloke i got it from etc.

I later found out an old guy of about 60-65 had recently been done for drink-driving, lived in the part of town they kept asking about and had owned a white P6 which even in 1988 weren't that common anymore. They were always visibly shocked i was driving it - not who they were expecting i suppose. Didn't keep it long, traded it in for a 4 year old Ambassador which at least i didn't get stopped in! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mercedade » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Ha! What a bellend. (the drunk, not you Chris :))

Looked a tidy car, shame about it's demise.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:49 pm

That's ace what a knob :lol:

Did the car smell of booze when you bought it?
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:The guy was clearly Brahms and Lizst but the cop who arrested him was pretty arrogant too. I watch a lot of things like Road Wars, Police Interceptors etc and never seen one "play to the camera" like he did.

As for the excuse about his liver, it's possible i suppose but if it is, he shouldn't have risked drink-driving, plain and simple! :wink: :D
Joking aside I reckon he was probably an alcoholic. He stunk of ale from memory when I met him, nice enough guy but one of them that would swear black was white if that was his opinion.
mercedade wrote:Ha! What a bellend. (the drunk, not you Chris :))

Looked a tidy car, shame about it's demise.
It was mate, seems odd to think now that it was only 7/8 years old then. It was near mint when I bought it externally, inside not so much and silly things like the heater motor not working.

I'd got it just about how I wanted when a numpty on a bike caused the accident by overtaking coming the other way and causing a pile up.

Because it went through the insurance company of the guy that ran into me they decided to repair it to my amazement. After having it a month they returned it badly repaired and with faults that weren't there when they took it. ABS light on for example.

Funniest thing was they replaced the whole exhaust right back to the manifolds for some reason. The irony was the middle and back box weren't on the car when it was hit. :D Before they took it I swapped off anything I didn't want to risk losing incase I didn't see it again.

They allegedly spent £2200 repairing it, after I complained they then wrote it off and gave me £1500 for it. Which they should have done originally IMO.

Before it went permanently I robbed it blind. Swapped out the new rad I'd fitted and other stuff.
Chris

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Slamm wrote:That's ace what a knob :lol:

Did the car smell of booze when you bought it?
Not that I remember mate. Mostly damp with the heater blower not working. :)
Chris

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:44 pm

of course it was damp... he was so pissed he kept spilling the beer :lol:
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 pm

deano wrote:of course it was damp... he was so pissed he kept spilling the beer :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:40 pm

deano wrote:of course it was damp... he was so pissed he kept spilling the beer :lol:
Of course this reveals the 800's biggest shortcoming....

No cupholders.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:34 pm

traineefarmer wrote:

No cupholders.
I'm working on it Tom - it keeps dropping down the list though! :cry: Got the cupholder insert, just need to work out how to fit it so it's hidden until needed, then you just press the panel it's hiding behind and it opens said panel and slides out a pair of cupholders. They even hold cups from that Scottish burger establishment! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:34 am

traineefarmer wrote:

No cupholders.
Ah, well that's when the non airbag dash comes in handy, just don't go round corners too fast :wink:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:08 pm

Slamm wrote:
traineefarmer wrote:

No cupholders.
Ah, well that's when the non airbag dash comes in handy, just don't go round corners too fast :wink:
For some reason the cups from the Scottish burger place aren't too stable on it though. These i fitted in my Volvo work well though, despite being manual pull/push :

For £7 i can't complain! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:08 pm

£7 for a cup of coffee... I would complain alright

:wink:
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC