Car leaking Diesel.

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Car leaking Diesel.

Post by zcar12 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Just down the hill from me is a car that has not moved in at least 4 months. Weeds are growing around the tires. It is leaking diesel onto the road, looks like it is from the tank. I looked up its MoT history and in 13 years, the car has covered 190k miles so it has been well used. It has a current test.

Walking past last night, I noticed that someone had sprayed yellow paint on the kerb so someone must be aware of it. In daylight today, I note they have also sprayed a cross behind it.

I am assuming that the owner has died. To my eyes, it looks quite a dangerous situation as diesel on the road can be very slippery, and it does nothing good for the road surface. I am wondering if I should play the good citizen role and report the situation to the council or the police? What would you do? I certainly would not like to be thought of as a busybody.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Car leaking Diesel.

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Thought a couple of pointers ^^^^^ would be helpful Nick! :wink: :lol: :P

Joking aside, i think i'd try knocking on the door 3 times, morning, afternoon and evening and if you get no reply then go to either the police or Council.
That way you've tried to make contact first.

It could be they've broken their leg or something and can't drive just now so the car is sitting there. They may not even know it's leaking or perhaps some bright spark tried pinching the diesel from it and has caused the leak.

Not only is it a traffic hazard (slippery road), environmental hazard (especially if there are any waterways nearby) but is also a fire hazard. I know diseasel isn't as volatile as petrol but if it was set alight the whole car could easily go up.

I know you don't want to be seen as a busy-body/Jobsworth or similar but there has to be a line drawn somewhere in the sand and if you've made efforts to contact them before going to the authorities then i'd say you've covered yourself.
Whoever calls you a nosey-Parker/busy-body etc would almost certainly be the first to moan if the car went up in flames and also the last to do anything about it before that happens - except moan about it of course to anybody that will listen!

At least you're taking a proactive stance on it Nick so go for it! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:58 pm

Nice pictures Dave, and quite appropriate.

The car is not stood outside someones house and many nearby properties have been turned into flats so a transient population. Hard to get any answers there as many dont open their doors, fearing it may be a Bailiff. As a first step, I looked into who is responsible for the road and it is the County Council. So I have sent them an email with the relevant info.

You are correct about the environmental aspect which I did not consider so much. But I was worried about the fire risk. You only have to drop an oil soaked rag into the puddle that has soaked into the tarmac and the car could easily burn out. And any cars parked close by.

I am off to the town shortly and will drop into the fire station and see what they say, Thanks again.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Good luck with it anyway Nick, i think the council are probably responsible for abandoned cars unless the tax and/or insurance is out on it then it becomes the province of the DVLA.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:58 pm

To update the state of play: The car has now stopped leaking diesel so someone must have fixed it or there is no more diesel in the car to leak out. The council told me that it is the roads department of the County Council that should deal with this problem so I emailed them and they came back and said that it was not their responsibility. The fire service was not interested, unless the car was on fire or close to a water course! I have decided to leave this problem in the hands of whatever gods may be.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:09 pm

That's laughable Nick! Reminds me of the pictures/posters you could at one time buy (maybe still can) from seaside novelty shops about "Once upon a time there was a job needing doing. Anybody could do it but Everybody thought Somebody would do it"
Can't remember how it goes from there but basically it's about buck-passing and the job not getting done.

At least you tried! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate