Battery Desulfator

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Battery Desulfator

Post by zcar12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:10 pm

Has anyone got experience of using a battery desulfator? How does one connect the gadget to the battery? Is it correct to first charge the battery, then remove it from charger, and then connect the Desulfator to the battery, until it is down to 80% charge, then recharge the battery to full again and keep repeating the cycle? Cant see this working on a dead battery, as one could not charge it in the first place. Or does one connect it in parallel or series with the charger?

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Battery Desulfator

Post by Nuts4my827 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:09 am

Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks for the link, that was indeed an interesting read. Seems that some people recommend to charge the battery first, then let the desulfator discharge the battery to 80% charge, then recharge, then repeat the cycle. That is one way, when one has a pretty good battery to start with.

Otherwise, with a discharged battery, one connects the charger and desulfator in parallel. I am doing this with a battery that is 10 years old, has been stood for 3 years and shows 10.22 volts. I will post my result. Takes about 3 weeks so dont hold your breath LOL.

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Which one did you buy/have yoiu got???
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:39 pm

I will take a picture of the unit tomorrow and post it. It a Delta, bought from India but made in China.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 pm

Yes, they do work. I bought one of these several years ago and have recovered several batteries with it :

http://extralifepulse.com/pages/extrali ... pulse.html

Actually i bought mine on ebay because it was free postage (you had to pay P&P buying it from their site) :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-BATTERY- ... xy6-tSC5wi

Three weeks is a bit of a short time period to recover a battery although it will show some results as was proven in the link Phil kindly supplied. Don't forget the battery starts sulphating from the moment it's first made - 3 weeks is a bit short to reverse that amount of desulphation! :shock:

The best method is to put the battery that needs recovering on a trickle charge and leave the desulphator connected. Alternatively if it's the one on the car, connect the desulphator and leave it on there.

There is one thing it can't recover and that's if a cell has gone short circuit. I've had a couple of failures while trying to recover batteries where the cell has gone short but other than that, yes they work well. Bit dubious about stuff from India/China but that's just me. If you read the Extra Life Pulse website, you'll find it was originally developed for people who live "off grid" and use solar, wind and similar generators to charge the batteries.

Let us know how you get on Nick, this has been a passion of mine for quite a while now! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:30 pm

Will do Dave. I had my bike battery connected for 24 hours 2 days ago and it now shows 13.05 volts which is better than the 12.6 it was showing before. I put my dud car battery on today. It showed 10.22 volts and I will leave it now for a week and then try a new reading. I am hopeful that is does not have a damaged cell.

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:59 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/battery-desu ... SwTM5YymFz

I have been unable to post a picture of the desulfator that I bought so I have posted the ebay link above.

My battery showed 10.22 volts 2 days ago. It now shows 13.02 volts so I am hopeful that it can be recovered. The cells are gassing but not strongly. It was on my Rover for 9 years and was replaced 3 years ago. I tried to charge it once it was off the car and although it charged, it rapidly lost its charge and was still weak. My bike battery shows 13.16 volts so it seems to have improved further since 3 days ago and it has been off charge for those 3 days.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks Nick! If you go onto the ebay pic and right click, you get a list of options, one is "Copy Image Location". Click that.

Now get your cursor to where you want the picture to appear in your reply, same as you would when posting a pic normally.

Then look above this square box we type our responses in, 9th box from the left is an icon like mountains with the sun in the sky - you might need to use your imagination to visualise it! :P

Click that and you get the image codes between square brackets with the cursor flashing - click on the cursor, now right click and then hit "Paste".

Hey presto! The image you did all that for now appears in your post!

Your bike battery seems to have recovered well, might pay to give it a few days, maybe even a week on trickle charge with the desulphator connected.

One of the batteries i recovered has finally died though. It was secondhand when i got it 11 years ago, i used it for about 7 years then it played up so i renewed it just under 4 years ago. Since the time it played up i found a long-standing, intermittent fault in the alternator which has since been replaced. I recovered the battery using the desulphator about 3, maybe 4 years ago but kept it as an "emergency use" battery. I fitted it on my Sterling a couple of months back (without a full recharge, just about 10 mins to see if it was still able to take a charge) and it worked well enough until i had a few days of very short stop-start journeys which finally killed it. In between whiles it served duty on my Coupé for about a year.

I can't give it another try on the desulphator now as i sold the battery for scrap a few days ago. I think i had my moneys worth out of not just the battery but the desulphator as well. Prevention being better than cure, i think i'll fit the desulphator to my beasts in turn for a few weeks at a time, just to keep on top of things. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:54 pm

My thanks to Dave for the education about how to cut and paste ebayl pictures.

My battery has now been on charge for 6 days and the voltage seems to have settled down to 13.12 and the cells are starting to gas more strongly. My feeling is to leave it charging for one more day and then to leave it standing for a few days, checking the voltage, letting it rest for a few days, before putting it back on charge. This will give my ex WD charger a chance to cool down. I will leave the desulfator connected so the battery can power it and check to see how quickly the charged state falls off.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Sounds like a good plan with the battery Nick - are all the cells gassing evenly now?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:46 am

As far as I can see, all the cells are gassing at about the same rate. I have just taken the battery off charge and it reads 13.09 volts. I have left the desulfator connected and the battery seems to be powering it, at least, the light on the unit is flashing. I will check the voltage again in the morning.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:33 am

Looking forward to the update on this Nick! The good news is if they are all gassing evenly then there's a good chance of recovering it. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 pm

After leaving the battery off charge this morning for a couple of hours, I checked the voltage again and it was 10.68. So it has recovered 0.5 bolts but this is obliviously not enough. Dave has suggested that I might need to charge it for 3 weeks before I can look forward to recovery. This is probably right. So it is back on charge for another week.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:54 pm

If i said three weeks Nick i meant three months, usually batteries take a long time to recover if they're heavily sulphated. They start sulphating from the moment they're made so it can't really be undone overnight, or even in a week although by comparison, desulphating is relatively quick.

It might be an idea to invest a few quid in a battery hydrometer and check each cell before you start the next desulphation session then check again after. Comparing the figures before and after will give you more of an idea than just voltage reading alone as there is a phenomenon called "battery surplus voltage" which can give false readings if the voltage is taken shortly after taking it off charge.

This chart might help a bit :

This will also show up a dead/dying cell as well because that cell will be lower than the others. A handy way of storing the hydrometer when not in use is to cut the top off an empty aerosol and use that to hold the hydrometer. The aerosol can be screwed to a handy batten in the shed to keep things upright as well. ;) :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate