Idiot drivers.

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Idiot drivers.

Post by zcar12 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:11 pm

We had some snow in Devon overnight and this has caught out the idiot drivers. A road close by is very steep and the Council has thoughtfully provided a gritting bin at the bottom of the road. The intention is that residents can spread some grit themselves, if they have the whit to do so.. So what happens?

Man comes out of his house, starts the car, drives down hill on 2 inches of snow and crashes into the wall, to one side of the gritting bin. Fifteen minutes later, the same thing happens and this time, the car crashes the other side of the gritting bin. Both cars knocked big chunks out of the wall. The other side of the wall is a six foot drop to the road below.

I would love to post a picture but I am not silly enough walk down an icy hill myself, fall over and go skidding down the hill on my ****!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Idiot drivers.

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 pm

This is where Google Streetview comes in handy Nick - you can link to the Google page showing the road without leaving your nice warm armchair, never mind risking life, limb and walls.

As for the loons that drove from the top of the hill on all that snow, the bind moggles! :shock: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:01 am

Does make you wonder Dave, doesn't it?

In other news, the Fiesta that I posted about somewhere on here, which was leaking diesel and had been there over a year, has now been clamped by the DVLA. It had been untaxed, no MoT, for about 6 months. The DVLA were in the area for a few days before moving to my town and had quite a haul by all accounts and removed or clamped many vehicles. The DVLA van later had an accident due to the icy conditions. People are posting about it on the local Facebook pages and they reckon it was Karma!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:36 am

Karma indeed! I know of an 825 Sterling fastback, 20 numbers from the last ever made that was clamped and removed on private property by the DVLA so the DVLA van crashing is a bit of karma for that as well!

With things like that Fiesta that is causing a nuisance on the public road, it is a bit different. It's nothing more than legalised theft though, if people truly have finished with their cars, they could sell them on ebay as spares or repair or ring the local scrapyard. Neither option would leave them out of pocket whereas the DVLA stealing their cars almost certainly will.

As for going out in the snow, i had to yesterday and i had to go down a hill, not a terrifically steep one but a hill.
This hill hadn't been gritted or anything and to make matters worse, the local kids thought it was a really good idea to use it as a sled run.
However i still got down (and back up again) without incident so it does make me wonder about your neighbours.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:39 pm

I now have some pictures from a fiend who lives in that road and saw the idiots drive past her house on the way to crash into the wall at the bottom. The road slopes down over 40 degrees. Why anyone would think it is OK to drive downhill on 2 inches of snow and expect to stop at the bottom beats me. But stop they did! Note the yellow gritting bin in the last picture.

l]

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Puts me in mind of that old song Nick with slightly different words :

Crash, bang, wallop, what a picture, what a photograph! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 pm

The pictures do not show the full extent of the damage. The black car, which I think is a Jaguar, managed to bounce off three of the neighbors cars as it was skidding down the hill. There are usually cars parked bumper to bumper on both sides of that road. The white car only damaged itself and the wall. You can bet that the black car owner is not very popular at the moment. Lots of aggro and expense for all involved.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 am

It would make a good set of publicity shots for the Paul Gascoigne School of Motoring Nick! He was forever bumping into things and couldn't take corners! :P :lol:

Joking aside the blue (black?) car looks too small for a Jag, maybe a Toyota or Mazda from the angle i can see it from? It does look like it's made better shape of nearly taking the corner than the silver (white?) Clio though!

Having another look, i think it's an Astra, the blue/black one. Here's why :

Front end looks pretty similar to what's left of the original, particularly around the fog lamp area.

Just a guess of course!

Whatever it is, i'm sure you're right, neither of them are flavour of the month at the moment!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:10 am

I am not so good at car recognition any more Dave. You are most likely right about the Jaguar being an Astra. I can now see that what I thought was a White Fiesta is in fact a Clio. Guess they were all designed by the same computer program.

It comes into my mind what I heard over 30 years ago: "Designed by computer, built by a robot, driven by a moron" Seems true enough in this case.

Never heard of Paul Gascoigne before. I will have to look that one up.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 am

To be honest, i'm not so good at car recognition these days either Nick, too many computer generated cars that all look the same whether they have a Renault, Vauxhall or Nissan badge or a VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda badge.
I know badge-engineering is nothing new but at least when BMC did it before BL there were distinguishing features, for example the "Ghost light" on the Wolseley variants, different brightwork that emphasised different body lines on the Mostin Oxbridge range (Morris/Austin Oxford/Cambridge) and so on.

The "Designed by computer, built by robot" came from the Fiat Panda with its (then) new Fully Integrated Robotised Engine or FIRE engine for short. The whole idea was the engine was designed by a computer (as was the car i believe) and built on an automated production line. I think the "driven by a moron" bit came about when someone got themselves into a newsworthy scrape and the media added those words.

Strangely enough that was about the time Paul Gascoigne (Gazza) was famous for being a footballer who cried when he missed a goal, got into all kinds of situations because of being drunk and managed to mess up taking a corner. Hence the analogy of the Paul Gascoigne SoM - bumps into things and can't take corners! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 pm

I do remember the Wolsley with the light on the radiator grille. Never knew that The Panda Line is where the "Designed by computer" etc., came from. I thought it was just me who thought that so many cars today look alike but apparently not.

I did not pick up on the reference to Paul Gaskoigne and not being able to take a corner. Of course, you meant "The Paul Gaskoigne," who ruined his life through booze and women. I guess just like George Best, he could not handle the pressures of fame and the hounding by the press.. Both were top class footballers. It was sad to see them both end up as they did. George Best, when asked about what had happened to all the money he had earned over his career, answered "Ninety percent went on booze, women, and fast cars. The other ten percent I wasted". He certainly had style and a great sense of humor, despite his problems.

Most of us seem to have an entirely different problem with booze. We cant afford it! I suspect that is the better problem to have.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:17 pm

It's not just the cars look the same Nick, many of them are the same. Doesn't make life easy when trying to figure out what something is! Also they seem to give different models slightly different front end treatments even on the same car, i noticed the photo i added of an Astra is different to the one i intended to post in as much as the front end was identical on the one i meant to post and i picked a different one by accident! :roll: :oops: :lol:

Classic George best quote there, perspective shifting that the 90% wasn't the waste! Lol! :lol:

The biggest problem ever with booze is being addicted to it and still unable to afford it - gets very dangerous then! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 pm

the dark car looks more like a Toyota auris
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j ... 7381588807
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:21 am
The "Designed by computer, built by robot" came from the Fiat Panda with its (then) new Fully Integrated Robotised Engine or FIRE engine for short.
It was from the newspaper adverts for FIAT Stradas. The TV adverts paid tribute to The Italian Job (driving round the rooftop test track and on to a moving car transporter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEVTorBHhOo
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:51 pm

A little before my time Richard - perhaps they were still using the same tag-line for the Panda as well? :?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate