Mk1 827sli (in potential ownership)

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mk1 827sli (in potential ownership)

Post by Charles827si » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:43 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:30 pm
Do i take it from the dismemberment of the interior you've decided what to do with it Charles?
Emphatically yes. Having more rust fall by me feet isn't making the issue favourable. But I still plan to get the engine running.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:14 pm

I take it the decision is to break it then? Shame as it looks like a rare one with that blue interior.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

austinpowers
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by austinpowers » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:40 pm

Charles827si wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:43 pm
scoobyh123 wrote:
Do i take it from the dismemberment of the interior you've decided what to do with it Charles?
Emphatically yes. Having more rust fall by me feet isn't making the issue favourable. But I still plan to get the engine running.
Good idea :)

I did just that with the sli engine out of the Rovor, just in case i needed it i would know whether it was any good which by chance i did.. It's now found itself a new home in the Vitesse :D

Shame you're far away as i'd like to come play (taking the car apart that is).
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:15 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:14 pm
I take it the decision is to break it then? Shame as it looks like a rare one with that blue interior.
The likely thing to happen is, if I don't break it; the car is going to be languishing there for months or perhaps years. Assuming I fancy to learn welding (which I haven't got bursting enthusiasm for) there's still alot of welding to do, and panels like the roof aren't going to be easy; infact difficult to repair and may even involve removing the windscreen.
The car will definitely need a new bonnet and at least two doors; they all are severely rotten.
The sills are much worse than the seller described and there isn't even the structural jacking point at the front driver side, (small nightmare changing that wheel and tyre)
I know from welding the fastback, the car is never quite the same or original again, and chances are, unless the repairs are well managed and protected from the elements, the same areas just need doing again not so long down the line.

The car is rare Dave like you say, but its going to take alot of time and money to get it right; and this at the peril of ignoring the Mk1 fastback I have already; which has been waiting for proper tlc for a while.
Considering the amount of money I've spent on 800s over several years (mainly repairs) I should think sensibly.
Obviously if the car was a rotten 1930's Bugatti, I would look differently at the situation.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:19 pm

austinpowers wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:40 pm
Charles827si wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:43 pm
scoobyh123 wrote:
Good idea :)

I did just that with the sli engine out of the Rovor, just in case i needed it i would know whether it was any good which by chance i did.. It's now found itself a new home in the Vitesse :D

Shame you're far away as i'd like to come play (taking the car apart that is).
That would have been help as well somebody familiar with the cars do take apart. The engine and gearbox are probably worth as much as I paid for the car.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Sad to say it but i think you've made a wise choice Charles. I have vague memories of a similar (possibly the same one) car being on ebay several months back and it didn't sell. Someone on here looked at that one and said it was severely rotten and barely worth buying for spares (they had an 820 Mk2 i think) - whether it was the same car or not i don't know but similar colour and area.

At least you'll get some good usable spares from it, steering rack, starter motor, alternator to name just three that can be expensive if you don't have any. If the fuel pump works as well that's another bonus.

Are you going to sell off the spares you don't want/need?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:43 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 pm
Sad to say it but i think you've made a wise choice Charles. I have vague memories of a similar (possibly the same one) car being on ebay several months back and it didn't sell. Someone on here looked at that one and said it was severely rotten and barely worth buying for spares (they had an 820 Mk2 i think) - whether it was the same car or not i don't know but similar colour and area.
Chris said as much the same, that he wouldn't even have considered buying.
scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:35 pm
At least you'll get some good usable spares from it, steering rack, starter motor, alternator to name just three that can be expensive if you don't have any. If the fuel pump works as well that's another bonus.

Are you going to sell off the spares you don't want/need?
Yeah there'll be useful spares to be had that I'll keep. I could try selling what I don't need on eBay. Though again its all down to the interest in the spares being advertised.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:50 pm

That's the trouble, very little interest in the spares! With so few 800s left, particularly 2.7s, the spares are never going to be that much in demand but a lot of people don't seem to have the foresight to stock-pile some useful spares for their cars, just assume everything will still eb available at the drop of a hat when they need it.

If you do manage to store a reasonable stash, if someone does need something in time to come and you need something you don't have, it's possible they will have the item you need if they've stored a few bits.

That's in an ideal world of course! Hopefully those sort of days will be a long way into the future! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:04 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:50 pm
That's the trouble, very little interest in the spares! With so few 800s left, particularly 2.7s, the spares are never going to be that much in demand but a lot of people don't seem to have the foresight to stock-pile some useful spares for their cars, just assume everything will still eb available at the drop of a hat when they need it.

If you do manage to store a reasonable stash, if someone does need something in time to come and you need something you don't have, it's possible they will have the item you need if they've stored a few bits.

That's in an ideal world of course! Hopefully those sort of days will be a long way into the future! :wink: :D
I'll certainly keep the parts that you mentioned; I don't have spares of these other than 1 starter motor. And this car being an early Mk1, has the small profile bumpers. (which are great rare spares for my other car and that car needs a new bumper too) The trip computer, wiring, expansion tank, etc will go into the coupe.
The blue interior; dashboard, seats, door cards, etc probably will be valuable. The good thing is, I will have decent space for these when the car is eventually gone.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:54 pm

It would be an idea to nab the coil and igniter from it as well, seeing as you have another Mk1 Charles, some Mk1 items are different from later models.

Also a little tip in terms of preventive maintenance - undo the two bolts securing the igniter to the inner wing and clean the aluminium back of it with something non-abrasive and polish it to a high finish. Likewise the inner wing where it mates, before refitting it, smear some heatsink compound aka thermals transfer paste on the inner wing where the igniter sits, give the igniter a wiggle as you refit to spread the past about a bit and also coat the bolt threads in paste before refitting.

Although some may have been put on at the factory, it won't be much use now and very often it was "forgotten". Such a small, simple task yet saves a lot of grief!

I have to confess i might be interested in the 6-dial instrument pack, if i do decide to have it i'd need the oil pressure sensor and the adaptor pipes as well - still unsure about it at the moment, need to give it more thought!
That's assuming you'd be willing to sell it and don't want to retain it as a spare for your other Mk1 of course. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:59 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:54 pm
It would be an idea to nab the coil and igniter from it as well, seeing as you have another Mk1 Charles, some Mk1 items are different from later models.
Yeah, I had thought of that too cheers :D
scoobyh123 wrote:
Also a little tip in terms of preventive maintenance - undo the two bolts securing the igniter to the inner wing and clean the aluminium back of it with something non-abrasive and polish it to a high finish. Likewise the inner wing where it mates, before refitting it, smear some heatsink compound aka thermals transfer paste on the inner wing where the igniter sits, give the igniter a wiggle as you refit to spread the past about a bit and also coat the bolt threads in paste before refitting.

Although some may have been put on at the factory, it won't be much use now and very often it was "forgotten". Such a small, simple task yet saves a lot of grief!
I remember you mentioned this when I replaced the ignitor on the coupe but I forgot to do that completely at the time. :oops:
scoobyh123 wrote:
I have to confess i might be interested in the 6-dial instrument pack, if i do decide to have it i'd need the oil pressure sensor and the adaptor pipes as well - still unsure about it at the moment, need to give it more thought!
That's assuming you'd be willing to sell it and don't want to retain it as a spare for your other Mk1 of course. :wink: :D
Yes Dave, your more than welcome to the clocks and the other bits to do with.. I have a spare set of 6 dials already :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:12 am

Not to mention the PGMFI relay. Loads of parts when you think of it :D
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:33 am

Charles827si wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:59 am

Yes Dave, your more than welcome to the clocks and the other bits to do with.. I have a spare set of 6 dials already :D
Very much appreciated Charles, thanks!
austinpowers wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:12 am
Not to mention the PGMFI relay. Loads of parts when you think of it :D
Very good point Andy! I think i have one somewhere that i keep meaning to repair/refurbish so it's ready to go at a moments notice, either for myself or on an exchange basis for another 827 owner that needs it.
Must sort that out........... :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm

My experience is a car takes up the least space in one piece.

Is it costing you to just leave it where it is a while? Then strip bits as you need them?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:03 pm

CHR15E wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm
My experience is a car takes up the least space in one piece.

Is it costing you to just leave it where it is a while? Then strip bits as you need them?
I guess its not space that's the issue, but ease of access. I haven't thought yet how stuff is going to be stored conveniently. Its not costing any extra though because I'm already renting two bays and I was before I bought this car.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage