Mk1 827sli (in potential ownership)

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Mk1 827sli (in potential ownership)

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:25 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:16 am
Crikey! :shock: You're brave!! :shock: :shock:

I reckon this is why he won't close the listing until he's given you the transport costs :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Keigh ... 50.8337611

It's about 280 miles each way,
Charles827si wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 am
scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 am
It's a 275 mile journey Charles, average speed of 40mph overall (even if doing 56mph on dual-carriageways/motorways) gives nearly a 7 hour journey time. If he left at 8, earliest he's likely to get to you is 330pm as he'll need to stop for a beak for lunch for half hour.
I hadn't any idea it was a 7 hour drive :shock: but 275 miles is a stretch.
Google quote about 5.5 hours, that's in a car though with the normal acceleration and higher cruising speed of a car on motorways etc. Don't forget he's going to either be towing or bringing a beaver-tail with the car on the back, either way restricted on speed on the motorway which will knock his average speed down. When i collected my Coupé from Bristol, i got down there quicker than i got back, mainly because i was only dragging 660kg of trailer on the way there - on the way back (unbeknown to me at the time as i didn't realise the trailer was so heavy) it was near enough 2.2 tonnes and my old 740 Volvo was just shy of 1500kg so train weight was 3.7T - oops! It really knocked a hole in acceleration and average speed though. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:58 am

I guess if I picked it up myself I would appreciate this all the more. The last time I bought a used car was 5 years ago, and again it was trailered.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Believe me - you would! I also picked up a KV6 saloon a couple of years back, mainly for body panels and although that was much closer than Bristol (Stevenage if memory serves) it still took almost all day by the time i'd hired the trailer, driven to Stevenage, loaded and paid for the car, driven home, unloaded then taken the trailer back and home after.

That time i wasn't struggling to get up hills as instead of a 2.3 Volvo, i was running my 4.0 Jeep Cherokee. It still took a lot of time though and i still had to stop for lunch on the way back.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

austinpowers
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by austinpowers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Excited to see more photos of this when it arrives :D
It must be there now :P
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:11 pm

I suspect he's too excited to take any photos yet Andy! :P
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi all. Yes I've got the car now! Slightly late arrival at 3.20pm but its in its parking place now. I'm just uploading 22 pictures to google drive so this is taking some downloading. Interesting to actually get the car off the tow truck. Tyres were flat and burst open. So with the car winched on for safety the driver Mark fixed the other end onto my coupe and managed to drag the Mk1 off. It took some doing as the car kept sliding to one side coming down the ramps.
Needless to say I burnt my clutch slightly and there was quite a plume of smoke so I was glad we got the car off when we did because I was getting quite worried my clutch would be toast. But considering how rotten the car is, there was no way we could have changed the wheels with the car on the tow truck.
With the car on the ground it took me 15 mins just to change the front wheel. Contrary to what the seller told me, the sill was a gonea and so was the jacking point. So I had to use two jacks. The smaller one was just low enough to get under a solid(ish) point on the sill. The bigger jack went under the subframe which was fortunately solid. I got the wheel on and hadn't known it was quite flat as well.
So I used the spare 16inch from the coupe which is fine.
Fortunately the remaining 3 wheels went on much more easily, as the rest of the jacking points were surprisingly solid. But again I still needed to use two jacks to change the front passenger side wheel. Touch wood the car rolled into the space with the help of a bloke working nearby.
I'm not joking though, I opened all the doors and shed loads of rust just 'fell' out onto the floor. I've never seen so much rust and rot on a car. The roof is quite bad but maybe repairable. But the doors are certainly gone to bread crumbs.
So I'll make up a verdict on its future when I next go up to visit the site. It was so warm working, it was probably enough just getting off the truck, wheels changed and getting it parked, but it looks a welcome sight next to the Mk1 fastback.
Hopefully these pictures are uploaded now so I'll get them up here soon.
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:42 pm

Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 pm

The tin-worms have certainly been busy Charles!

Ignoring the rust, what's the general condition?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:03 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 pm
The tin-worms have certainly been busy Charles!

Ignoring the rust, what's the general condition?
Erm.. yes they were busy! The general condition.. starting with the interior...its a mess. Ivor the seller told me that the original owner was a hoarder. And I think that's true. The boot is full of old news papers and magazines from the 1990's. The rear seats are filled with cardboard and part of a tree branch.
The whole interior needs a clean/clear out and vacuum out. And there is mould on the headlining.

There seems to be a very badly retrofitted aftermarket alarm. The sound speakers and the fob have been ill fitted as you see from the pictures. The wiring for this under the bonnet is a mess. Ivor says the car will turn over with a new battery, old petrol removed and some new petrol inside.
I haven't tried to start this car because I'm sure its gonna need a capable enough battery which I haven't got.

There are holes in the outer panels as you can see. But not only that because the bonnet is rotten out from the inside. I put the bonnet up and the front wings seemingly move up with it. There is a sizeable hole in the boot floor under the piles of newspapers.
The scuttle panel is like a birds nest and is rotten into obligatory bread crumbs. The engine looks like it wants a good clean up as it has crystalized deposits all over every part.
What I was surprised by was how easily all the wheel nuts came off, so the wheel changing process was a little easier than could have been.
What is concerning among the rot, is the structural (or lack of) points where the jacking points are at the front. There was already flakes of rust under the drivers footwell. And that rust just fell onto the floor when I lightly felt under the car.
As I say the doors are breadcrumbs but this is on the inside and outside edges where the doors meet the roof. Likewise the rust extends around the sunroof and the sunroof seal is hanging out exposed.
I guess its like marmite. Eat or pass on by. Restore or break. With a clear head I'll give it a second look, mull it over and come to a rational decision fairly quick.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Good call on that Charles - i'd suggest popping the plugs out and trickling some ATF into the bores, turn the engine over by hand a few times to work the ATF up and down the bores then refit the plugs loosely.
Give it a few days to soak, remove the plugs again then turn it over by hand a few times.

Before you try starting it, whack the side of the centre console to deploy the inertia switch. This will cut the fuel pump and prevent the central locking from locking the car. Then fit a fully charged battery (beg, steal, borrow it for now), turn it over with the plugs out by hand a few times more, put some rag over the plug holes to catch the ATF then give it a spin on the starter.

Keep an eye on the oil pressure warning light - hopefully it should go out fairly quickly. Also keep a listen out for any horrible clattery sounds like a broken cam belt and valves contacting pistons.
If all is good (no weird sounds, oil light goes out easily), refit the plugs and leads, reach up into the centre console and press the button on top of the inertia switch to reset it and try starting it.

With luck, it should fire fairly easily if you've added fresh fuel to the tank - some meths in the tank might help too to help eliminate the water/condensation.

You'll probably get a loud, deep, whirring noise from the torque converter because it will be running semi-dry simply because it's not been used in a while. Just let the engine idle at whatever speed it chooses (probably about 1500rpm at a guess) and eventually the torque converter will quieten down as long as there is ATF in the box.

If the engine wants to rev excessively high or starts overheating (check the coolant and add some water if necessary) then switch it off. It might be there are air locks in the cooling system so you might have to keep adding water until it runs at a sensible speed without trying to rev itself to oblivion or overheat.

This should give you much more of an idea if the engine and/or box are worth saving, if so and you can find some good metal to start welding to, you could have a restoration project on your hands! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Eek, looks worse than the eBay photos.

I'd be inclined to check on the cambelt before attempting to start it any more, just in case it's hanging by a thread!

Also the fuel pump is probably seized dry, was on both my Sterling and Vitesse.

Good luck :D

Certainly be a fun project if you do decide to re-commission it. Might be worth "deleting" the sunroof to make fixing the roof easier. Vinyl roof anyone :)
1989 Rover Sterling in Atlantic blue 35k miles. - Sold
2017 "special" edition in white
1990 Rover Vitesse manual - Sold
1990 Rover Sterling - Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 am

austinpowers wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:54 pm

I'd be inclined to check on the cambelt before attempting to start it any more, just in case it's hanging by a thread!

Certainly be a fun project if you do decide to re-commission it. Might be worth "deleting" the sunroof to make fixing the roof easier. Vinyl roof anyone :)
Dalmatian Andy - well spotted! I missed that bit out! :oops: Didn't proof-read it before posting because my eyes were knackered and i could barely see. :shock:

A sunroof-delete might well be an option, alternatively keeping the sunroof and fitting a vinyl roof (similar dark blue to the carpet) would definitely give it a look. Also more cost-effective than respraying the roof! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:43 pm

All good advice fellas :) Yeah it looked worse close up compared to the eBay photos suggested. I ended up sweeping quite a nice pile of brown rust into a corner. I bet there's going to be a number of seized parts, but Ivor told me that he had started the car briefly, but not for long due to the risk of the cambelt.
So now I need to get those little commodities to get the thing running.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Just bought a fuel/fluid syphon pump.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301548778754
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:46 pm

The biggest risk to the cam belt is the first start after a long lay up. In that case you could probably skip a lot of what i suggested but get it running so you know what you're dealing with.

If the engine and box seem good that's one (or two!) things less to sort out in the restoration, if that's the route you take.

Probably going to be about £2ks worth of welding from what you've said, plus doors, bonnet etc and a respray to make it how it should be. Once done, if it's right then it should be worth a lot of money, i know one member on here has a Mk1 with an agreed value of £10k on the insurance.

All stuff to consider, whichever way you jump with it! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate