Mk1 827sli (in potential ownership)

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Mk1 827sli (in potential ownership)

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 pm

At the risk of being rude I don't think brave quite covers it!

Personally I wouldn't even have bought that for parts, let alone try to repair it.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:55 pm

I'll admit its not been one of my blemish free purchases, but I'm gonna be hopeful in that the car is not as bad on the underside as it is with the doors.

I spoke with the seller last night. He told me he bought it from a clear out of a deceased gentleman's estate. The Rover had been parked up for many years (probably since year 2000 because that was the last year it was taxed I think) and was left next to a privet hedge which the seller says this is why the car is in a bad state on one side. Rotten leaves and body work don't mix very friendly like.
The seller said the gentleman likely owned the car from new because there was only this mans name and the sellers name on the V5C.

And by the sounds of it, this deceased person was quite a hoarder. Quite a few 10 tons of rubbish was removed from his loft. Among the finds in the loft were broken up vintage motorcycles (probably 3 or 4 different marques just in pieces).

Anyway this seller (Ivor) was telling me he deals with estate windups and when he finds vehicles he likes he restores them. But he is obviously not interested in keeping the 800 despite registering it in his name. He prefers American cars or unusual old British Ford V4 stuff.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:59 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:03 pm
I have a few Mk1 odds and ends floating around, if i can find them and round them up then you're welcome to them if they're any use.
Thanks Dave. Will let you know if I need anything. :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 pm

I'll see what bits i can unearth Charles, post a pic, if they're good or helpful then have the lot as there aren't many Mk1s left and the chances are, you'll need them at some point! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:42 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 pm
I'll see what bits i can unearth Charles, post a pic, if they're good or helpful then have the lot as there aren't many Mk1s left and the chances are, you'll need them at some point! :wink: :D
Sounds fine Dave. I'm all set for the car which is being delivered tomorrow morning. (bit touch and go with the day but Thursday is mutually beneficial for both the driver and myself)

So will give the car a good going over and upload some pics. And if it turns out to be a completely rotten pear, I can always attempt to do take 2 with transferring the trip computer and wiring loom into the coupe. Whatever happens it will be keeping me busy in my spare time. :D
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 pm

If it is a rotten pear Charles then i can see your dishwasher being busy washing the rear lights and other things and getting them on ebay!

Shouldn't be too difficult to transfer the basic parts of the trip computer, it's the lighting parts that monitor the bulbs that might be tricky.

Will you be swapping the 6-dial instrument cluster?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 pm
If it is a rotten pear Charles then i can see your dishwasher being busy washing the rear lights and other things and getting them on ebay!
:D :lol:
scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Shouldn't be too difficult to transfer the basic parts of the trip computer, it's the lighting parts that monitor the bulbs that might be tricky.

Will you be swapping the 6-dial instrument cluster?
If I can remember from last time (I tried) it might be easier in theory. Doubtful will be swapping the dials, but I had that idea at one time. I quite like the way I've got the boring Mk2 dials now. I was going to upload a picture but I think you've seen already and its on my phone. Any pictures I take on my phone don't automatically sinc with my pc unlike in past times. So I email pictures over to the laptop the old way.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Apart from the fuel flow sensor, everything else is there for the fuel computer in your Coupé. It's the lighting monitor that will be a headache as the looms are different and didn't go near the centre console on the Mk2 - that's where it will be difficult. Swapping the fuel flow sensor should be a matter of removing it from the old car and swapping it onto yours, finding the wiring and removing it then running it in to the trip computer and then that should work. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:11 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 pm
Apart from the fuel flow sensor, everything else is there for the fuel computer in your Coupé. It's the lighting monitor that will be a headache as the looms are different and didn't go near the centre console on the Mk2 - that's where it will be difficult. Swapping the fuel flow sensor should be a matter of removing it from the old car and swapping it onto yours, finding the wiring and removing it then running it in to the trip computer and then that should work. :wink: :D
The fuel flow sensor; the box under the passenger seat isn't it? Not sure what the lighting monitor is, is this the monitor and sensors for the headlamps? and possibly rear lights?
Think there is abit of loom splicing to do which takes time but I guess for a amateur like me is still do-able.

Here is the pic of my dials in the coupe. It takes ages to upload pics because the broadband speed in this part of the world is so very slow :roll: And I've had to upload the picture 3 times.. the first of twice times I lost the screen. :( But I've prevailed :)
Imageimage hosting sites
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 pm

I remember your instruments now i've seen them again Charles - the genuine Rover burr walnut veneer overlay!

I may have this wrong as i've been trying to get my head round interfacing a Volvo OE cruise control switch to an aftermarket cruise control kit and my mind is kind of on that (not very successfully at the moment!) and trying to switch back to something i looked at a long (20+years ago) time ago is a mite tricky! :P

I'll try though!

From what i remember, the fuel flow sensor is mounted low down on the engine side of the bulkhead on the left. There is a module under the passenger seat which i believe converts the signal(s) from the fuel flow sensor and is either linked in with the main ECU or sends the processed signals to the trip computer ECU which then links to the main ECU so the figures can be worked out and displayed.

I'll try to get my Mk1 manuals up on my computer or view them via the Google Drive Tim uploaded at some point tomorrow and see if i can come up with more sense than this lot makes! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:08 pm
I remember your instruments now i've seen them again Charles - the genuine Rover burr walnut veneer overlay!

I may have this wrong as i've been trying to get my head round interfacing a Volvo OE cruise control switch to an aftermarket cruise control kit and my mind is kind of on that (not very successfully at the moment!) and trying to switch back to something i looked at a long (20+years ago) time ago is a mite tricky! :P

I'll try though!

From what i remember, the fuel flow sensor is mounted low down on the engine side of the bulkhead on the left. There is a module under the passenger seat which i believe converts the signal(s) from the fuel flow sensor and is either linked in with the main ECU or sends the processed signals to the trip computer ECU which then links to the main ECU so the figures can be worked out and displayed.

I'll try to get my Mk1 manuals up on my computer or view them via the Google Drive Tim uploaded at some point tomorrow and see if i can come up with more sense than this lot makes! :wink: :D
That will be a great help. I have an original Mk1 manual that came with my parents 827. The only thing is Dad chucked away the pages relating to the trip computer because the 827SI never came with this unit.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:30 am

If you have a look here Charles, you can find the relevant information for the Mk1 including the original handbooks/manuals :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... zBScVRRSXM

The 3rd Edition Owners Manual contains instructions on using the VCM/Trip Computer and if you look at the Mk1c Electrical, from Pg 353 on is a whole section on the trip computer and VCM explaining how it works, fault finding and so on.

It seems i was wrong about the fuel flow sensor, the fuel flow is derived (on the 2.7) by monitoring the time #1 injector is open and using the signals from the PGM-Fi ECU to give an indication of how much fuel is injected. It was a long time ago so i don't feel too bad about getting it wrong lol!

It won't be an easy conversion but definitely possible - just a lot of work! Have a look at the section about what the Trip Computer and VCM covers (there's a list in the Mk1c Electrical section on it) and think about it from there.
It all depends what the overall state of the car is when it lands today(?) and if it's as rotten as a 9 day old curry or saveable. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:18 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:30 am
If you have a look here Charles, you can find the relevant information for the Mk1 including the original handbooks/manuals :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... zBScVRRSXM

The 3rd Edition Owners Manual contains instructions on using the VCM/Trip Computer and if you look at the Mk1c Electrical, from Pg 353 on is a whole section on the trip computer and VCM explaining how it works, fault finding and so on.

It seems i was wrong about the fuel flow sensor, the fuel flow is derived (on the 2.7) by monitoring the time #1 injector is open and using the signals from the PGM-Fi ECU to give an indication of how much fuel is injected. It was a long time ago so i don't feel too bad about getting it wrong lol!

It won't be an easy conversion but definitely possible - just a lot of work! Have a look at the section about what the Trip Computer and VCM covers (there's a list in the Mk1c Electrical section on it) and think about it from there.
It all depends what the overall state of the car is when it lands today(?) and if it's as rotten as a 9 day old curry or saveable. :wink: :D
Thanks for these efforts Dave :D . I'll take some time to read and 'digest' this when I'm in a collective mind.

The car is still due today, but later than planned; now more like 2 - 3pm.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 am

It's a 275 mile journey Charles, average speed of 40mph overall (even if doing 56mph on dual-carriageways/motorways) gives nearly a 7 hour journey time. If he left at 8, earliest he's likely to get to you is 330pm as he'll need to stop for a beak for lunch for half hour.

If he left earlier, say 7 then it's going to be 230 or 3pm if the traffic isn't great.

Good luck with working out what you need to digest from that lot - it was heavy going for me and i'm used to things like that! :shock:

Is the Trip Computer separate from the VCM or is it built in to the same unit? I can't remember, been a long time since i had one!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 am
It's a 275 mile journey Charles, average speed of 40mph overall (even if doing 56mph on dual-carriageways/motorways) gives nearly a 7 hour journey time. If he left at 8, earliest he's likely to get to you is 330pm as he'll need to stop for a beak for lunch for half hour.
I hadn't any idea it was a 7 hour drive :shock: but 275 miles is a stretch.
scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 am
Good luck with working out what you need to digest from that lot - it was heavy going for me and i'm used to things like that! :shock:

Is the Trip Computer separate from the VCM or is it built in to the same unit? I can't remember, been a long time since i had one!
The trip computer is separate from the VCM. I have a spare unit I bought many years ago (2005 probably) which was known to be in good working condition if I need it.
Charles 'Yorks'
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
ImageImage