Social media forums

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mark827
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Social media forums

Post by Mark827 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:21 pm

I just want a moan, I recently joined a couple of FB Rover 800 groups after seeing them noted on here and I thought "that's a good idea, there might be lots of good info on there as this forum is very quiet in recent years" as everyone seems to just use their mobile phones for everything these days.

But there is so much misinformation on those FB groups, people respond to posts with so much wrong information. It's as though they think that because they've bought a car in their life they know the full inner technical workings of the Rover 800 "yeah mate, my Ford Focus windscreen looks about the same size as your Rover I'm sure it fits" - that kind of stuff.

It proves that this forum still has a use for people that really understand our cars and know what they are talking about.

I'm probably guilty of not sharing enough information on here of real experience of problems and fixes as I've had many 800's over the last 25 years and honestly spend more time working on my current 800 than driving it but it's worth it, but I'm glad others forum members do share their vast knowledge and take the time to do so as there are some real 800 guru's on here and they should be commended!!
Mark

'92 827 Coupe

mercedade
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Social media forums

Post by mercedade » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:02 pm

Same as you Mark - I've joined the forum(s), albeit under another name as I don't use Facebook for anything non-car related and haven't found it much use for anything other than parts.

One exception to that is the tip about refurbing my clutch pedal - that was a great find, very useful!
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm

mercedade wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:02 pm
Same as you Mark - I've joined the forum(s), albeit under another name as I don't use Facebook for anything non-car related and haven't found it much use for anything other than parts.

One exception to that is the tip about refurbing my clutch pedal - that was a great find, very useful!
Do you mean the trick of welding the slot up so you can redrill the original hole to regain your proper clutch pedal Adrian? If so that's been mentioned on here quite a few times over the years.

Other than that i've seen people come from Faceberk onto other forums thinking they know all about the particular car the forum is for and made themselves look complete and utter idiots along the lines of what Mark describes.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:34 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:08 pm

Do you mean the trick of welding the slot up so you can redrill the original hole to regain your proper clutch pedal Adrian? If so that's been mentioned on here quite a few times over the years.
No, the usage of a sleeve/bush to resolve the missing plastic:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rover80 ... 728623196/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rover80 ... 605833196/

First time I'd ever had it mentioned - proper lightbulb moment.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

Lodein
Regular Visitor

Post by Lodein » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:05 pm

I am happy to learn that I can put a Ford Focus windscreen on my Rover !!!

I don't like Facebook because as you said you can read a lot of stupidity and because it is difficult to find and old information about something, but it is "trendy"

Lodein
Rover 827 Sterling Option Pack 1989 (Non Cat / Manual)