Should we form a "proper" club?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Should we form a "proper" club?

Post by deano » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Subsciptions tend to put people off...

Forums are great for getting Info and sharing Info or help with no obligation

Maybe you could try both...
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by rovercoup » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Richard Moss wrote:By 'proper' club I mean the fact that we would have a formal membership system and be fully set up as a club rather than the current forum-based talking shop. That would give us the ability to raise funds to attend shows and get more publicity in the classic car press. Bonafide just means 'proper' or 'genuine'.
well put and clarified richard
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

simon
Rover Guru

Post by simon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes subscriptions can put people off but they can also bring people into the mark. And the die hard of us out there will always be here for rover's be it an 800 sd1 or the 75.
And as Richard Moss put
By 'proper' club I mean the fact that we would have a formal membership system and be fully set up as a club rather than the current forum-based talking shop. That would give us the ability to raise funds to attend shows and get more publicity in the classic car prees.
We will keep the name going. And
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's

Dickie524
Regular Visitor

Post by Dickie524 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:33 am

Just my 2pth as as relative newcomer - I'd keep the forum exactly as is for the 'casual' member/ enthusiast, and have a club membership for those who want it. Maybe it buys you a sticker or a pen or some other Rover 800 freebie. It's effectively a voluntary membership - keep it at something like £10 and the core membership on here will happily chip in. If you want to start doing club mags then it has to be the £20 mark to cover printing and distribution. But going from a web-based club to a magazine might be seen as retrograde? Then again plenty of enthusiasts are NOT on the internet and would enjoy such a magazine and a way to stay in touch. The difficulty is in finding them!

You could maybe have a small members-only section of the forum, but if our goal is the long-term survival of the car then the information on this forum has to be freely available.
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Richard: That's very much the way we are looking to go: a free forum for those who want that and a paid membership with added benefits for those who prefer that option. The Metro Owner's Club works this way and seems to work well. Hopefully we'll have some progress to report soon.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:08 am

mrpcpc wrote:Rover800.Info Established when ?
It was actually our sixth birthday two days ago (29th august).
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:12 am

It's my 6th year membership tomorrow. I didn't know I joined that early in the "club's" life but I'm sure glad I did.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Can't believe we missed our own birthday! I've updated the home page http://rover800.info with a little message and some suitable decorations!

Maybe we should start planning for a big party in 2018 now? :D
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:12 pm

6 years. WOW!

I've been here since before that when 'you know who' had .co.uk, and the site had a clock!

Oh, and we should form a club!
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

guru
Site Admin

Post by guru » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:37 pm

I don't know what all of you newbies are going on about, if you check my join date I think you'll find I've been here for the longest :lol:
Guru - AKA James
m6jkk.com
Current Fleet
1991 Rover Sterling mk1c (taking a break)
2015 Mercedes C300 Hybrid
2015 Mini Cooper SD

Sterling

Post by Sterling » Sun May 10, 2015 5:56 am

As somebody who was once a chairman of an established club and the founder of another, I urge great caution before a club is set up.

It's a truly thankless task with loads of admin, usually left to just a few people who burn out and squabble.

Members give promises of help and good intentions, but when it comes down to it, commitment is a huge issue.
If your charging membership fees, then you have to keep accounts which have to be externally audited.

A club constitution needs to be drafted and agreed by members.

A general meeting has to be formed and a committee elected before you can do anything.

For events etc, public liability insurance has to be in place.

Also a first-wider and health and safety officers should be appointed.

If it is decided that forming a club is the way members of the forum wish to proceed, then I will be happy to advise if required, because believe me it's not as easy as just saying we are now a club.

I know when I first set up what is now the metro owners club, formally Austin Rover Metro Owners Club, ARMOC, members soon began to fight. I ended up walking and leaving it all to Jack, who has done a great job. Classic Car Weekly helped a lot, insurance companies were willing and garages etc were happy to sponsor the club. We even found and stored the first vp-500 metro, paid for my member donations. I'm not sure where it is now though.

All I'm saying is know what your signing up to before you/we proceed. The benefits are great, but the work is hard and the Critics will punish committee members harshly.

Ian.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sun May 10, 2015 9:51 am

Sterling wrote:As somebody who was once a chairman of an established club and the founder of another, I urge great caution before a club is set up.

It's a truly thankless task with loads of admin, usually left to just a few people who burn out and squabble.

Members give promises of help and good intentions, but when it comes down to it, commitment is a huge issue.
If your charging membership fees, then you have to keep accounts which have to be externally audited.

A club constitution needs to be drafted and agreed by members.

A general meeting has to be formed and a committee elected before you can do anything.

For events etc, public liability insurance has to be in place.

Also a first-wider and health and safety officers should be appointed.

If it is decided that forming a club is the way members of the forum wish to proceed, then I will be happy to advise if required, because believe me it's not as easy as just saying we are now a club.

I know when I first set up what is now the metro owners club, formally Austin Rover Metro Owners Club, ARMOC, members soon began to fight. I ended up walking and leaving it all to Jack, who has done a great job. Classic Car Weekly helped a lot, insurance companies were willing and garages etc were happy to sponsor the club. We even found and stored the first vp-500 metro, paid for my member donations. I'm not sure where it is now though.

All I'm saying is know what your signing up to before you/we proceed. The benefits are great, but the work is hard and the Critics will punish committee members harshly.

Ian.
I whole heartedly agree with the above.

Having been involved with the same club, (and in my case) ended up being pushed out, it is a thankless job to run one.

You have to have nerves of steel and skin thicker than superman's to get beyond the petty bickering and slagging off that can (and usually does) get sent the committees way.

Sometimes you have to put yourself in the firing line to protect the club, something I have had to do, and believe me, it's not pretty, and even those who you are trying to help can and will turn on you.

It's a natural step for a great forum to look at becoming a fully fledged club, but lot's of things need to be in place before the "launch", as well as those items mentioned above, there is also the act of "legitimizing" the club by way of affiliation to the larger Rover clubs (Rover Sports Register etc)and the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC)

Happy to help where and when possible if club status is sought.

Mal.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun May 10, 2015 12:17 pm

To be frank, I think there is more chance of David Cameron being elected as an MP in Scotland than of us getting around to forming a club.

We seem to be doing Ok as we are, I reckon

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:57 am

We can call ourselves the Rover 800 Owner's Club at shows, nobody need know any different :wink:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:25 am

Captain Sensible wrote:We can call ourselves the Rover 800 Owner's Club at shows, nobody need know any different :wink:

We already do! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure if this will be helpful or just another comment but i'll throw it in as an idea.

When i owned my last "Dogmobile", the Volvo 740 GLEa estate, i "joined" the Volvo Owners Club. I say i "joined" - what i actually did was join the VOC Forum which catered for members and non-members of the club itself. Basically it was a two-tier system, anyone could join the forum and say they were part of the club, however full paid-for membership opened the door for more benefits such as discounted parts, insurance, preferential treatment at club meets/shows etc.

It was fairly easy to see the heirarchy of the club itself as the committee members names were freely available on the forum and looking through the forum you could see how much work and effort was put in by these individuals.

The big difference is they catered for every Volvo known to man (or so it seemed) from the oldest PV544 to the newest XC90 with subforums for the closely related models, eg 140/240 series, 7/900 series, S/V/C series and so on.

Emulating something along those lines might be a possibility. However, i would hazard a guess that there would be too few members on here that would be willing to put their hand in their pocket to pay for something they have, after all, had for free for 6+ years to make it viable.
The other alternative would be a "closed shop" where paid membership is mandatory. That would probably see the membership numbers dwindle to very few. In short i think they can do it on the Volvo forum through the sheer number of members. Let's not forget though that they cater for all models of the marque, not just one as we do here.

As such, i think we're in an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!