Should we form a "proper" club?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Dickie524
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Should we form a "proper" club?

Post by Dickie524 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:20 am

I'll start by saying that I have no strong opinion on the matter.

All the stuff I join car clubs for - tecnical advice, bit fo banter etc, is available on here FOC right now.
I don't get the chance to go to many, if any car shows (so I am unlikely to be a regular attendee at club events.

However, would I voluntarily fork out £20 a year or thereabouts, to be used towards publicing and/ or furthering the knowledge and appreciation of the marque? Yes - why not? Never notice it over thre course of a year. There might even be the odd club rag etc.

However I appreciate that then comes the hard work, the AGM, the get-togethers, who has time to run such a club? Not me - wife who isn't into cars, two kids, restoring a couple of VW camper van, renovating a house, and keeping a full time job. I haven't got the time, I don't think many other do either, otherwise they would have already filled it with something else.

Next comes the heirarchy. And the 'he said, she said', then the bickering, then the breakaway Rover 800 Appreciation Club and the Rover 800 owners club and the Rover 800 club! These things tend to happen, unfotunately!

However - I satrted neutral and have gone negative - apologies.

But would I join and be a non-executive member of a Rover 800 club? Right away.
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by vito » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:56 am

Right ....

Nobodies pushing for a club anymore, the recent debate was about joining the JRCV (Joint Rover Club Venture) to become part of THEIR website to sit us alongside the RSR/200/400/600/75 to be equally promoted and acknowledged, and to be invited and sited at events FOR WHO WISH TO ATTEND.

Quotes and estimates from the 'top of peoples heads' are irrelevant and more than likely most inaccurate since there's a member database into 4 figures and I doubt if they've all been lobbied.

This is still about those who WANT to be active not forcing those who don't.

If there's any interest from anyone who wishes to be part of the JRCV, because there WILL be some organisation and involvement required (including a 'group' meeting of all the 'clubs' at Gaydon on Saturday 7th November (which I can't attend as I'm overseas) please pm me or show your interest on the JRCV thread here :

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=13465

Again, this is NOT about forming a 'club', that subject is probably dead, this is about becoming patrt of JRC for the wider promotion of the 800 alongside the other variants and we are the only variant now not represented.

Take a look at their site and decide for yourself if we SHOULD be on there.

http://www.jointroverclubs.org.uk/
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Dickie524
Regular Visitor

Post by Dickie524 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:02 pm

Cool, £80, day at the races!!

Good points Gary, and yes, having had a look at their site, I (personally) think we should be on there, its interesting that we're the only ones not represented, I hadn't realised that. And it would be nice to turn up to my (roughly once a year) car show and belong to someone!!
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:14 am

It look's like the decision has been made for us............... :evil:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13572