Steaming Rover engine

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Steaming Rover engine

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:45 am

Whilst on my way to work on Thursday evening I pulled up the sliproad off the M54 and round the corner on the roundabout I noticed a 51-plate Rover 75 with its bonnet up, a steaming engine and a somewhat crestfallen owner on the phone.

Upon my return from buying some food from the services I decided to all the around the roundabout and pulled up behind his car, I asked if he was alright and he explained to me that the car kept on overheating and cutting out, I looked at his engine and saw steam coming out from the headgasket area, I explained to him that the head gasket may have blown and that his best bet may be to buy a new engine as head gaskets can cost alot of money, he then told me that he had only bought the car that same day from the auction and was heading home. It didnt look like a KV6 ans the engine was too small for that and the spec looked a little low, it was probably a 1.8se.

He asked me if I was a mechanic, I told I wasn't a meachanic but recognised the symptoms of his engine trouble, as his wife return with bottles of water and pulled it all into the radiator tank steam came gushing out from the head gasket area, he was greatful that I at least pulled over to explain to him what the problem might be, and told his best bet was to park the car at the services and get it recovered later on.

I hope all has worked out for him.

Lord Sterling

JulianO'Connor
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JulianO'Connor » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:13 am

No sympathy really - auctions aren't supermarkets, you need to know your stuff to avoid getting a duffer. I bet he didn't even wonder why no one else was bidding on it or why it was so cheap.
aka The Serpent

1972 MG B GT
2004 Subaru Legacy Tourer
2008 Subaru Justy R

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 am

Probably, I didnt ask him how much he paid for it, I suspected that the last owner got rid as they knew the head gasket was on its way out!

Lord Sterling

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:57 am

I have been there :cry: so my sympathies go with him.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

neo
Rover Guru

Post by neo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:36 pm

the 1.8 is the one to to steer clear from more prone to hgf than early kv6
also well underpowered for a large car nice of you to stop and help