SHE RUNS!

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Vard66
Rover Guru

SHE RUNS!

Post by Vard66 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:06 pm

I don't know how, since the immobiliser ECU was plugged in, and she hasn't so much as turned over since I deliberately put the immobiliser on again, to see if we could get it disarmed, but she started and ran for five minutes today.

It turns out that as I suspected, (and fervently hoped), the alternator is alright, and it was simply the little disconnected wire that was the issue. I clipped a set of ring connections off the 214, Din wired them in and taped them up.

Big thanks to Din for the donation of the gargantuan battery which is now in residence in my bay - it's about twice as long as the standard battery, and we had to brutalise my battery tray in order to get it in, flattening the side upright lips, and simply bending the front catch out and back when it was in.

So, she runs.
I've got the ECU boxed and addressed, and I'll take it into work tomorrow and post it before I start.
With any luck, she should be back on the road within a week or so, and at much less expense than I thought.

She does sound rough though, and one of the first orders of business will be a new exhaust manifold gasket.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i

JulianO'Connor
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JulianO'Connor » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Flattening your upright lips is hard, but sometimes there's no other way.
aka The Serpent

1972 MG B GT
2004 Subaru Legacy Tourer
2008 Subaru Justy R

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:31 pm

I really had to think hard about what you were on about then for a second, Justin...
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

JulianO'Connor
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JulianO'Connor » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:37 pm

Who's Justin? :wink: :shock:
aka The Serpent

1972 MG B GT
2004 Subaru Legacy Tourer
2008 Subaru Justy R

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 pm

It's all a game in your head.

I'm really fried. Maybe I'll go to bed and stop calling people the wrong names.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Update - Key fob was done this morning, and when I phoned, the chap was only waiting for me to phone and confirm that I only wanted one and not two before he made another.
Nice chap, wound up nattering to him about SD1s at length, and he used to work with a few guys who worked for MG-R for a few years.
So the fob is now in the post on it's way back to me, with the ECU.
Should only be a couple of days, and then I'm good to roll.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi