bits 'n' pieces

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

bits 'n' pieces

Post by TDHFastback » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi 800 experts
Just new to the site and have a couple of questions. Not sure though if I'm putting them in the right bit.

1 The pride of Longbridge Rally this week, is it like a proper car show with aftermarket/accessory/autojumble stands, places to eat etc or more basic ie cars lined up in a car park. Never been to a Rover show so not sure wether to bring sandwiches/flask or not .

2/ I fitted a windscreen finisher to my 1999 825 Sterling fastback. It was second hand and the rubber seal is quite brittle and has cracked in places so is not flush with the windscreen. Is this a problem re water getting were it shouldn't and causing a rust trap or will the water just drain away

3/ In the Rover accessory brochure they showed a large plastic/rubber boot liner with a HUGE rover logo embossed in it in a saloon. Will this fit the fastback and any idea where I might purchase one from if it does (or did Rover do one specifically for the Fastback)

4/The left corner of my front bumper is loose. Apparently down to a warped side bracket. Is it a big job to fit a new bracket and are they still available?

5/Whos the best people to try for genuine Rover branded accessories as listed in the accessory brochure such as fire extinguishers ,first aid kits etc.

6/ Does anyone still do Rover pearlescent BRG paint touch up sticks?

Quite a list but I'm determined to keep my beloved Sterling on the road and looking as good and genuine as possible.

Thank you so much and God Bless

Kate x :P

whitelion58
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by whitelion58 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Hello Kate and welcome..

Cannot answer all your questions, but sure someone will be along shortly to chip in.

2) The water should channel away if it gets under the finisher, do not think they were ever intended to be water tight

3) Rimmer's sold off the last few boot liners cheap about a year ago I am afraid. They do crop up on ebay from time to time - I got one a couple of weeks ago in fact. I think (hope) they fit fastbacks the same as a saloon - can anyone verify? Not had chance to try it in any of my fleet yet.

4) Droopy bumpers are very common. It is the same bracket at all four courners - DPL10022 . Available from Rimmers or your local Xpart dealer for about a tenner each. Quite straightforward to fit, though easier with two people to lift the bumpers on and off.

Good luck with your car.
Tim
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Welcome to Rover 800

This is the boot liner I have in my fastback, bought from Rimmer Bros last year. I seem to remember MG mal had a few last time we went to his barn??? though that was a while ago. Its made of plastic and is easier to get in with the shelf out. After changing the boot carpet three times I thought i'd better have one :roll:

Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

dead827
Regular Visitor

Post by dead827 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 pm

I got one when they were going cheap,minor problem is the format is for the CD unit fitted on the LHS and in a saloon they are on the rhs if you look at the two sides you can see they are different. just needs a hot air gun to form the plastic on the rhs
300,000 mile white gold sterling on lpg Gone RIP
150,000 mile red sterling on lpg Still around
100,000 mile BRG rover sterling not on lpg Passed on

shiny blue jag on lpg
Another blue jag 2.5 auto

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 pm

For left hookers then by the look of it?

The Longbridge is a large affair but no stands etc. All parked on a park. There's pics of last year in the show pics section.

Sandwhiches etc are a good idea.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:03 pm

dead827 wrote:minor problem is the format is for the CD unit fitted on the LHS and in a saloon they are on the rhs
I've never seen a CD changer fitted on the left - I can only assume that it would be an aftermarket installation that has been put on the left. There's no reason for it to be different as the boot area is the same on saloons and fastbacks.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Try Rimmers for accessories (and paint, make sure you've got the paint code)

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 pm

I think original Rover paintsticks etc are all completely gone now. If they were still around, I'd be suspicious of their sell by date!

http://www.paints4u.com has been given good marks from some on here in the past. You just stick your paint code in and order paint sticks, aerosols etc. Prices look quite good too. Hope this helps. :D

...and welcome by the way
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Re:

Post by threelitre » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:59 am

Slamm wrote:Welcome to Rover 800

This is the boot liner I have in my fastback, bought from Rimmer Bros last year. I seem to remember MG mal had a few last time we went to his barn??? though that was a while ago. Its made of plastic and is easier to get in with the shelf out. After changing the boot carpet three times I thought i'd better have one :roll:

OK, digging out an old post. But I am able to pick up two of these tomorrow - one for me and one on offer. If it is as good as suggested I'd ask 30 quid for it (and should be able to deliver somewhere not too far from Dover or en route to Brad in late February or March)... So - who wants one?

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Re: bits 'n' pieces

Post by dollysprint » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Yes please Alex, allow me to check with Brad that he doesn't mind you dropping it there for me.

Thank you
Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

gibbzy2k1
Rover Guru

Post by gibbzy2k1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:58 pm

ohh wouldn't mind one of these. Probably a sod to fit in a coupe, if at all possible that is.
"Hey, let's be careful out there"

Callen
1994 Rover 820 Vitesse Sport *RIP
2005 MG ZS+ 115
1997 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe
1998 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Very useful items. I'm after one for a Mk1 saloon but these are apparently rarer than hens teeth. If anyone has one for sale or knows anywhere please let me know.
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:00 pm

OK, I've got two of these in the car now. One grey one with the embossed logo as above and one not looking like a Rover item, but much more sturdy and with a much higher lip around the rear half. When the weather stops freezing so badly (-15 in the morning and -7 now - should be warmer again by next weekend), I'll get them out and do some photos. When my father decides which (and if) one he'd like to have, I'll offer the other one. They certainly look very useful indeed!

Regards,

Alexander

PS: To get them I had the ABS and PGMFI light come on during the 10 or so miles I spent on the motorway - grrr...

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:01 pm

dollysprint wrote:Yes please Alex, allow me to check with Brad that he doesn't mind you dropping it there for me.

Thank you
Dave
That's ok. I shall store it for you til you can collect it.
No longer an 800 owner!

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 pm

dollysprint wrote:Yes please Alex, allow me to check with Brad that he doesn't mind you dropping it there for me.

Thank you
Dave
Sorry for the delay and no piccies yet - I'll do some. We'll be going to see Brad on the first weekend in March and we'll take the 827 - so I'll be able to drop a boot liner off for you.

When this sh*t weather stops I'll pull it out of the car and take some pictures for you to decide.

Regards,

Alexander