Thank you and a couple more questions

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TDHFastback
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thank you and a couple more questions

Post by TDHFastback » Sat May 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi guys
thank you for all your help to my previous questions. MG Mal thinks he has a boot liner which he is going to sort out for me and I've managed the paint match. So well done all. Couple more questions that have arisen as I'm getting my car all prim and proper so here it goes

1/ The rear stop lamp attached to the rear hatchback (f/b model) is coming away. Is it attached with an adhesive strip (a rover part perhaps?) or just glue. If so what glue is best to use ?

2/ I have cleaned the wheel arches which now look as new and my next job is the engine bay but I'm a bit worried about damaging electrical componants. Any hints or tips re doing this,materials to use etc

3/I sent a cheque off for £15 to a rover club many weeks ago advertised on the computer. Its for more modern Rovers and said it was for a life membership but have heard nothing back. Is this a scam or has the club folded?

4/ my windscreen wipers are a bit loose at the base were they come from the bulkheads. they still work but seem to wobble and I'mnot sure if it is possible for the rotor arms/motors to work loose or do the splines wear out?

My fastback is going really well and I,m loving that creamy smooth KV6 engine compared to my other car (a mini cooper).

Hope everyone is keeping well and flying the Rover flag.

Kate x :P

MikeMedford
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thank you and a couple more questions

Post by MikeMedford » Sat May 01, 2010 4:56 pm

TDHFastback wrote: 1/ The rear stop lamp attached to the rear hatchback (f/b model) is coming away. Is it attached with an adhesive strip (a rover part perhaps?) or just glue. If so what glue is best to use ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0458546438

I used that, extremely sticky stuff, so much so that to seperate it from the plastic you need to use a stanley knife :lol:

I would guess one side is hanging while other is still attached?

Unbolt the side that is still attached and it should come away from glass easily enough, then unbolt the loose side and take the plate off, stick some double sided tape on there and then match it back to where it was attached to window before (pretty easy to see where it was usually as there are remenants of the old glue on the glass).

Then just bolt both sides back up :)

IF the side that was not loose isn't too hard to prise off the glass I'd recommend using double sided tape on that too.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat May 01, 2010 5:52 pm

TDHFastback wrote:3/I sent a cheque off for £15 to a rover club many weeks ago advertised on the computer. Its for more modern Rovers and said it was for a life membership but have heard nothing back. Is this a scam or has the club folded?
Can't help specifically, what club is it?
TDHFastback wrote:4/ my windscreen wipers are a bit loose at the base were they come from the bulkheads. they still work but seem to wobble and I'mnot sure if it is possible for the rotor arms/motors to work loose or do the splines wear out?
Definitely sounds like wear. Not that common on the pivots. The arms themselves are prone to failing. More so on older cars though.

It will need stripping down to be investigated really. Unless the nuts are loose?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Sun May 02, 2010 10:07 am

TDHFastback wrote:Hi guys

3/I sent a cheque off for £15 to a rover club many weeks ago advertised on the computer. Its for more modern Rovers and said it was for a life membership but have heard nothing back. Is this a scam or has the club folded?

Kate x :P
I agree with Chris and can not really offer any help other than to say unlike the MG owners club which is run as a full time business most smaller clubs are run by enthusiasts such as ourselves with full time jobs, families and busy lives. They tend to fit things like membership renewal/etc in when they can. Like you i expect things like this to be done straight away unfortunatley it doesn't always happen like that and running clubs can be a very time consuming business for the individuals who involve themsleves with these positions. They take on the jobs and responsibilities most of us are happy to do without. I don't think you have anything to concern yourself with but at the worst you only lose £15. In the words of Tony Hancock " it may be life and death to some poor sole"
I'm sure it will all come good in the end.

You said you had cleaned the wheel arches out i take it your have got rid of all the mudd that builds up behind the lips and in particular the little crevices where the back wing meets the bumper.Have you put plenty of grease or waxoyl behind the wheel arch lips?

Have you posted any pictures of your car yet? I dont recall seeing any.
Glyn
Image Image