DVLA

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

DVLA

Post by Richard C » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Taxed the Omega online this morning as it runs out on Monday, I was expecting a day without the car but the swines were on strike today, I wonder when the disc will turn up? still it gives me the excuse to use the 800
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:42 pm

It can take up to 2 weeks they say - I just do it at the local Post Office.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

MikeMedford
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MikeMedford » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 pm

With mine registered as disabled vehicle (quite fitting considering the problems it keeps having lol) it's usually easiest for me todo mine at post office too.

Never tried it online but I think I remember reading somewhere that once it's paid for online car is covered and that police should have it on record, but I wouldnt risk it myself.
Last edited by MikeMedford on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:49 pm

I have done it online quite a few times now, as there isn't a Post office near work so it's just me being lazy really, The disc normally turns up in a few days, they state on the website 5 working days but it's very rarely (in my experience) it's as long as that. As i mentioned before I can use the Rover so it's not really a problem, just typical they had to strike today.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

JulianO'Connor
Rover Guru

Post by JulianO'Connor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:06 am

I've done the online thing too, if I've done it in the morning the disc has often turned up the next day.
aka The Serpent

1972 MG B GT
2004 Subaru Legacy Tourer
2008 Subaru Justy R

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:37 pm

Where do you stand on the days your waiting for the disc if the car is used with an out of date disc?

Can you be done?

JulianO'Connor
Rover Guru

Post by JulianO'Connor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:42 pm

Officially if the DVLA have received your method of payment in time then you shouldn't get an automatic fine, but it's still an offense not to display a current disc on a public road.

However...
I've had a traffic warden knock on my door to tell me the disc on my company car was out of date. I rang the car people at work who said it was paid but they had forgotten to send the disc and could I drop in and pick it up.
The traffic warden said, "Oh that should be OK, if you put it on by tomorrow you should be fine".

No wonder it's still confusing. I didn't get fined though.
Last edited by JulianO'Connor on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka The Serpent

1972 MG B GT
2004 Subaru Legacy Tourer
2008 Subaru Justy R

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:48 pm

I tax the Mercs at the post office, less than 1 mile away. All others are done online using a debit card.

I would do the Mercs online but I would have to use my company credit card and the DVLA charge for that so sod em :D

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:50 pm

JulianO'Connor wrote:If the DVLA have received your method of payment in time then you shouldn't get an automatic fine, but it's still an offense not to display a current disc on a public road.
That's just my argument, They were on strike Friday delaying my disc, so in theory I could get done for not displaying the disc although i did leave it to the last minute and expected to not be able to use the car on monday at least anyway but some other poor sod will not be so lucky.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:59 pm

If you can prove your disc is in the post then the cops don't usually bother, but traffic wardens will pick up on it and issue a ticket

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:00 am

I always do ours online now, it seems to work fine and the disc shows in a couple of days, i always print off the confirmation that is sent to your email address just in case.

Simon
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:00 pm

Hey happy days the disc turned up today :D so that was 3 working days which isn't bad, I'm always a little worried using the 800 for the commute as some of them drive like complete lunatics and I would just cry If I had another Mk1 smashed up.
Richard

@Rich_Clements