Rover 827Si Auto "Transworld" Rally car

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rover 827Si Auto "Transworld" Rally car

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Anyone know anything about this car or its current whereabouts?

I saw this car online a few years ago. I dont know much about it apart from that it was used in some around-the-world rally. I recently found the page again that this car was on and seeing as its not been mentioned here, I thought I'd give it a mention.

As per usual with me I have provided some online pics with a magical link to the page I found it on: (An auction site, not evilbay)

GR8 4 RICHRD_MO55 TO USE IN AL_A1N

I know this going to give some people some modification ideas

I have found out that G996XHP was sold at the International Historic Motorsport Show, Bonhams on the 25th February 2006 for £1200 or thereabouts.

You may (or not) notice it sports the rarer Roversport alloys, they differ slightly from the usual Roversports as the centre of the alloy curves inwards. The more common Roversports dont have a curve and have a small Rover badged centre cap.

Also note the Black wing-mirror covers, some of the lesser-specced cars sported these.

Some Info on the car:
Vague ill-informed auction site wrote:1988 ROVER STERLING 827I TRANSWORLD

Rover Sterling 827i, Works prepared to beat Transworld Record. Still encursted in the sand from the trip. New MOT passed with ease, believed 27,000 miles is genuine.

Works prepared for harsh terrain, this record holding Rover Sterling is offered for sale for participation in long distance, international rallying. It is believed to have done only 27,000 miles from new, just under 25,000 of these being accomplished during its circumnavigation of the world in mid 1990, when the vehicle was last taxed for road use. Since then it has spent its life in Gaydon Museum.

The car was Works prepared to attempt to beat the record for the journey around the world. It achieved this in 45 days beating the previous record set of 69 days. It remains encrusted with the desert sands from its global trip in case any prospective purchaser would like to keep it in a record holder collection. However, underneath this cover it remain in the condition that one would expect of a 27,000 mile car. It has just sailed through the MOT needing only UK headlamp lenses and slight engine tune.

The car is actually a Rover 827Si Auto, not an 'i' or a Sterling.

Better info and history:
Motorbase wrote:At 1.00pm on 13th May 1990, two Rover 800s departed the Tower of London on a sponsored attempt to drive around the world in 45 days, breaking the previous record of 69 days. The route went through Scandinavia and Turkey to West Germany, then by air to Australia and North America, up to Canada and finally down to Brazil, a total of 24,901 miles. Special vehicle preparation for this most arduous challenge was undertaken at Gaydon test centre where modifications were made to the front and rear suspension, a carbon-fibre fuel tank installed, the sump reinforced and under-body shielding fitted. In addition, the cars were equipped with radiator stone guards, crash bars, eight auxiliary driving lights, CB radio, food and water heaters, headlining nets and map lights.

Finished in white with brown fabric interior, this Transworld Sterling is presented just as it finished the event, with sponsors � decals still in situ.

The car has covered a total of circa 27,000 miles from new and is presented in commensurately good condition. The vehicle, which is a left-hand drive, 2.7-litre V6-engined model equipped the five-speed manual transmission, is offered with current MoT, road fund licence to December 2005 and Swansea V5 registration document.
Our friends at Swansea wrote:The vehicle details for G996 XHP are:

Date of Liability - 01 11 2006
Date of First Registration - 20 11 1989
Year of Manufacture 1989
Cylinder Capacity (cc) - 2675CC
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker - Export
Vehicle Status - Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour - WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval -

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £112.75
12 Months Rate £205.00
So it appears to have been exported. I wonder where it went and if its a part of a private or public collection?

Anymore info would be greatly received.

Lord Sterling

The Flying Dutchman
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by The Flying Dutchman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:41 pm

Last time I saw this one was at Gaydon about 5 years ago iirc.
Job.

'73 P5B Sal.
'94 220 Coupe
'96 220 Coupe
'95 827 Coupe
'97 820Si
'99 600SDi Classic
'69 Herald 12/50

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:43 pm

That has been on here or the old site before.

I like the way they make it sound like it's been cared for by the low mileage.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:58 pm

It's badged as a Sterling (as all US bound Rovers were) but that went for base models as well as the fully loaded ones too. I wonder if it had "rough territories " springs fitted ?
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:57 pm

The chap who exported it offered it to me for £2000. I wasn't quick enough and it went to Belgium. This was about 4 years ago.
No longer an 800 owner!

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:The chap who exported it offered it to me for £2000. I wasn't quick enough and it went to Belgium. This was about 4 years ago.
Hey thats interesting, as a regular visitor/resident I'll have to see if its at the AutoWorld museum at the Parc du Cinquantenaire. I used to live just across the road from the Parc du Cinquantenaire.

Lord Sterling

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:11 pm

The bull bar is giving me ideas. :roll:
Chris

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Re: Rover 827Si Auto "Transworld" Rally car

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Lord Sterling wrote:Anyone know anything about this car or its current whereabouts?

I saw this car online a few years ago. I dont know much about it apart from that it was used in some around-the-world rally. I recently found the page again that this car was on and seeing as its not been mentioned here, I thought I'd give it a mention.

As per usual with me I have provided some online pics with a magical link to the page I found it on: (An auction site, not evilbay)

GR8 4 RICHRD_MO55 TO USE IN AL_A1N

I know this going to give some people some modification ideas

I have found out that G996XHP was sold at the International Historic Motorsport Show, Bonhams on the 25th February 2006 for £1200 or thereabouts.

You may (or not) notice it sports the rarer Roversport alloys, they differ slightly from the usual Roversports as the centre of the alloy curves inwards. The more common Roversports dont have a curve and have a small Rover badged centre cap.

Also note the Black wing-mirror covers, some of the lesser-specced cars sported these.

Some Info on the car:
Vague ill-informed auction site wrote:1988 ROVER STERLING 827I TRANSWORLD

Rover Sterling 827i, Works prepared to beat Transworld Record. Still encursted in the sand from the trip. New MOT passed with ease, believed 27,000 miles is genuine.

Works prepared for harsh terrain, this record holding Rover Sterling is offered for sale for participation in long distance, international rallying. It is believed to have done only 27,000 miles from new, just under 25,000 of these being accomplished during its circumnavigation of the world in mid 1990, when the vehicle was last taxed for road use. Since then it has spent its life in Gaydon Museum.

The car was Works prepared to attempt to beat the record for the journey around the world. It achieved this in 45 days beating the previous record set of 69 days. It remains encrusted with the desert sands from its global trip in case any prospective purchaser would like to keep it in a record holder collection. However, underneath this cover it remain in the condition that one would expect of a 27,000 mile car. It has just sailed through the MOT needing only UK headlamp lenses and slight engine tune.

The car is actually a Rover 827Si Auto, not an 'i' or a Sterling.

Better info and history:
Motorbase wrote:At 1.00pm on 13th May 1990, two Rover 800s departed the Tower of London on a sponsored attempt to drive around the world in 45 days, breaking the previous record of 69 days. The route went through Scandinavia and Turkey to West Germany, then by air to Australia and North America, up to Canada and finally down to Brazil, a total of 24,901 miles. Special vehicle preparation for this most arduous challenge was undertaken at Gaydon test centre where modifications were made to the front and rear suspension, a carbon-fibre fuel tank installed, the sump reinforced and under-body shielding fitted. In addition, the cars were equipped with radiator stone guards, crash bars, eight auxiliary driving lights, CB radio, food and water heaters, headlining nets and map lights.

Finished in white with brown fabric interior, this Transworld Sterling is presented just as it finished the event, with sponsors � decals still in situ.

The car has covered a total of circa 27,000 miles from new and is presented in commensurately good condition. The vehicle, which is a left-hand drive, 2.7-litre V6-engined model equipped the five-speed manual transmission, is offered with current MoT, road fund licence to December 2005 and Swansea V5 registration document.
Our friends at Swansea wrote:The vehicle details for G996 XHP are:

Date of Liability - 01 11 2006
Date of First Registration - 20 11 1989
Year of Manufacture 1989
Cylinder Capacity (cc) - 2675CC
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker - Export
Vehicle Status - Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour - WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval -

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £112.75
12 Months Rate £205.00
So it appears to have been exported. I wonder where it went and if its a part of a private or public collection?

Anymore info would be greatly received.

Lord Sterling
I have waved my magic wand and found the car was exported to france, not Belgium.

The buyer lives in a town not far from where I need to go in a couple of months. I can feel a door knocking jobbie in the town of Craponne Sur Arzon...
No longer an 800 owner!

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote: ... Craponne Sur Arzon...
Nice place to live, Non ?
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm

One other point abouty these Rovers is that they were Sterlings (ie US spec).

They would have been registered here as Rover 827Si's as I think that is what all imported Sterlings are registered as. Both of my Sterlings are/were Rover 827Si on the V5, whereas they started life as sterling 827 S and 827 SL's.

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 am

Sure it isn't just Sterling badges? The rest of the car looks pretty much like a continental European spec 827.

Regards,

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)

Captain Slow
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Slow » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:58 am

Looks like a Sterling 827Si to me.
Sam Skelton
1977 Triumph Stag
1992 SAAB 9000CSE 2.3T
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9D LX
1993 Citroen XM TCT SEi auto
1994 Peugeot 306 1.8XT auto
1996 Jaguar XJR auto
1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1999 Rover 820Si

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:17 pm

I found this picture that I took at Gaydon around 1993.

No longer an 800 owner!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Looks like they've cleaned the bonnet since back then?
Chris

scoubix16
Regular Visitor

Post by scoubix16 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:31 am

Resurrecting a very old thread but...expect to see up-to-date pictures of this very particular car at the end of this week (sunday/possibly on Monday).
'nuff said :)
'93 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
'99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
'04 MG ZT-T 260 SE (V8) - Ex-Longbridge 75 V8 Tourer development car - LHD