Chat about cars you've been in lately

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Re: Chat about cars you've been in lately

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 am

I know exactly what you mean about American car interiors - they are always a few %age points short of being done properly. In some respects, the ordinary models are better than the luxury ones, perhaps it's because your expectations are lower? Their "woodgrain applique" (as they tend to call it) is tacky but at least you can attack it with spraypaint and make it silver/black/pink with blue spots to make it look better.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Tenesmus
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Tenesmus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 am

Back in Ireland and this time Hertz have provided an Insignia. Bad bits are the usual acres of black plastic, busy centre dash and a stupid button to operate the handbrake instead of a lever. Good points are the comfy seats, fob opening big boot, puddle lights you can illuminate a football game with and a rear number plate light that stays on a while after you walk away. White is a poor colour but at least it's not silver.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:49 am

I had a ride in 1 year old Kia Sorento V6 last week. I was impressed by the whole thing - smooth, quiet, comfortable and with a feeling of being very well screwed together. The dashboard was tidy enough, if a bit fussy (most modern cars are) but if left me thinking "I wouldn't mind having one of these".

Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:59 pm

I had time to spare on New Years Eve and found myself at Mrecedes Benz World at Brooklands.

Me and my son tried various new cars -

New A Class (looks like a Toyota or Kia or Hyundai) but it was cramped, the dash was a fussy overkill of different materials, shapes and angles and the whole thing was a backward step from the original A Class.

B Class - felt ten years or more out of date.

SLS - Another huge car on the outside but teeny on the inside. Same comments here about an overly fussy, complicated dash. My 12 year old said it looked like a Vauxhall Insignia copy from the rear.

S Class - ha ha. Roll back 20 years and you'll find the right S Class to head the range of Maerc. Today's car is not that car.

R Class - Big and ugly. I liked this car. Until I tried to get in it. Small again...

ML Class - like a Range Rover - effin' 'orrid.

SLK Roadster - couldn't get in it. Far too tiny inside. More room in my fridge.

Viano people carrier - £46000 for a seven seat MPV? I think not.

All told, if money was no object, there was nothing in the range of Mercs that interested me at all. And lots that disappointed me. The Dacia Duster impressed me no end and that's only £9000. I can see why more and more people are buying budget cars as well as Korean/Japanese.
Last edited by Very Tall Brad on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer an 800 owner!

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:09 am

Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 am

It's a long time since MB built anything with a real WOW factor other than the beautiful SLS

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Your right about the A class Brad. I saw one outside a MB dealer this morning and thought "Yukk what on earth is that?" the front end looks like its been designed by someone else and tacked on without checking what the rest of the car looks like.

I did see one car in that Mercedes dealer that looked realy good but then realised it was the reflection of my SE :lol: :lol:

Kate :D

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm

The first generation A class was a genuinely interesting car - crap, but at least interesting. However, the current one would not look out of place with Hyundai badges on it.

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:37 pm

My sister hired a Hyundai I10 on a 12 plate from Enterprise over Christmas and we went to York and back.
Build quality seems good for a small car - the plastics looked nice. The key looks old fashioned - much like my Rover key. It was very nippy on the A - roads and the brakes were effective for my sisters driving style although she took time to master the clutch bite. Seats were fine for the total 4 hours drive.
If I wanted a small car however I would seriously consider a VW Up!
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

funkkydrummer
Regular Visitor

Post by funkkydrummer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:06 pm

thamestyres wrote:funkydrummer have you had any tyre wear issues yet. because apparently even audi cannot get the tyres to wear evenly. and at a thousand pounds for a set of tyres thats not good news... and like rich c i would give my left arm for a jaguar xfr because then i could still drive it... i do get to drive a few jaguars and range rovers due to the contract i have with them, the older xjr and xkr are also very sweet to drive.. regards ricky
I've only just read this!!!

Tyre wear doesn't seem too bad to be honest. We probably wont get another 10,000 miles out the ones that are on but they all seem to be wearing fairly evenly. Only annoying thing is that it needs all four at once. Consequence of all wheel drive I suppose.
2006(56) Yamaha FJR1300A
2011(11) BMW X3 20d X-Drive (F25)
2012(61) Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi

Previous:
1990 (H) Rover 827Si Fastback
1999 (T) Rover 820Si Saloon

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:18 am

My boss got shot of his ageing BMW 3 years ago and got a nice 2002 Honda Accord estate auto - leather, V6. First thing he did was get an LPG conversion. Very pleased (except they want £££ to update the satnav maps). Until...

...a light has come on. Stability control ECU - which could mean ABC, traction, maybe other stuff? Several days at the dealer until a man can come along and plug his laptop in (£190). As you'd expect the answer is "we're not sure, but you need a new one to be on the safe side. That'll be £1,700 please. Afraid they're on back order until March. But we'll waive the £190".
Pete

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:10 am

Dublin again and Hertz have come up with a Renault Megane diesel 2 door. Likes - looks, apart from being silver, uncluttered dash, comfy, cubby holes in floor, and it goes. Dislikes - high boot access, keyless electronic card in slot that will send these cars to the scrapper in the future when it goes wrong - you press a button and the computer thinks about it and starts.
Pete

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:36 pm

I took the 827si into M&G at Bradford for repairs today, and have been given this ZS courtesy car – 1.8 I think. First time I’ve driven an MG. It’s done 110000 and it feels a real culture shock in comparison. I have to remember the position of the gas pedel and the clutch bite point, - too high which could point to a worn clutch. The engine sounds nice, quiet and smooth as are the brakes. It’s not my cupper though.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:14 pm

New Volvo V40.

Nicely assembled and great materials. Mood lighting is especially impressive.

Can't fit in it. Can't see out of it. Seat too small.

New Renault Clio RS200 Turbo

Again, lovely finish, no rattles, great paint. Very striking to look at, especially from the rear.

The radio does a trick in that it can be programmed to play the authentic sounds of past Renault based sports cars such as the Alpines, GTA etc - it really can make the car sound like there's a V6 under the bonnet, gearchanges and all, played through the sound system. Great value, too, for the performance. Very very fast. I have had the original R5 GT Turbo and Clio 16V but this performs like its an Esprit Turbo. Intoxicating. Accessible. Realistic.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:12 pm

I'll bet that Renault would be great fun for the 3 weeks or so that it takes for those French electrics to go "boom"